Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #81
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
It's honestly astonishing just how much better the home/away set would be with this logo on the shoulder instead of the flags:

A jersey with that shoulder patch would be one I would buy. As it stands... nah, the blue just doesn't work at all.

I like the patch, but whenever I see it - my brain just associates it with Colorado....for likely obvious reasons

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #82
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I asked him on twitter why they basically stuck with the Reebok Edge redesign for 13-14 years when some teams refused the change, and those that made the change moved away from it quickly.

Remember the Oilers jerseys under the edge program?

So essentially I'm not blaming them. In fact I'm guessing they were on it and made the changes they were instructed to make only to be flabbergasted that other teams just rebelled (original six) and left them deep into a redesign they likely didn't want. (this is all guess work of course).

But then why stick with them?

The red ones at home are bad, but have some qualities ... but the white ones are almost embarrassing to me.

He basically said they didn't want to go away from something that worked, while admitting the appeal wasn't universal. Can't imagine more than 20% of fans liking the Reebook redesign.
I'm so glad you asked this, as it's been a question of mine for years. The RBK Edge jersey resulted in pretty poor designs for most teams, and only a few left in the NHL wear the pick-a-jersey designs from 2008.

The Leafs, as a good example, updated the design in 2011 (or somewhere around there) as their design was awful too. The rest of the Original 6 didn't pick a template, but the Leafs had the same plain jersey Edmonton did. Edmonton even switched long ago... as the last to switch away from the sweat-eavestrough fabric as well though, mind you.

But yeah, the Away design especially is downright awful. There's definitely no excuse besides insisting on this design though and I don't get it. Fans have been very clear that this jersey is pretty bad, and surely the sales of it aren't telling them it's good design. It's either they don't care, or they insist it's good design worth keeping. So, sales of this retro are going to make things very interesting and I'm glad it looks like this switch is inevitable

But honestly, since 2008 I've studied design, practiced design, approached a hockey team and proposed design that's now on the ice... all before KK & Co. can put a design from the late 80s back on the ice. I feel like this switch could have happened a decade ago, and it's a confusing business/team/design/fandom/brand decision...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #83
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Popowich also had this to say on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/DownWithPopo/sta...77729428066304

Q: "The current Flames jerseys have faced some criticism regarding the use of the flags on the shoulder. When switching to Adidas, was there any discussion about removing/replacing them? What was the decision behind keep them?"

A: "Yes there was. But the flags on the shoulders have their own history and story on how they came to be on the jerseys. It involved a lot of hard work to get them on there. We weren’t ready to let them go just yet..."
Isn't the history that they wanted the crest off the Alberta flag and didn't get approval last minute so had to switch to flags? So I'm guessing that the 'hard work' he's referring to was trying to get the crest or coat of arms or whatever... and coming up short?

Sunk cost fallacy indeed...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #84
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Isn't the history that they wanted the crest off the Alberta flag and didn't get approval last minute so had to switch to flags? So I'm guessing that the 'hard work' he's referring to was trying to get the crest or coat of arms or whatever... and coming up short?

Sunk cost fallacy indeed...
I believe this is accurate.

Either way, the case for keeping the jerseys with the blue flag because of the hard work involved is pure BS. More likely they wanted to milk money off of the alternates being the retros and the western jersey at the time.

As long as they finally make the retros the primaires next season (or a modern version of it if they want something new still), then I'll be happy.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #85
DrDangles92
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Please bring back the retros full time. They’re absolutely beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DrDangles92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrDangles92 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 03:52 PM   #86
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I believe this is accurate.

Either way, the case for keeping the jerseys with the blue flag because of the hard work involved is pure BS. More likely they wanted to milk money off of the alternates being the retros and the western jersey at the time.

As long as they finally make the retros the primaires next season (or a modern version of it if they want something new still), then I'll be happy.
This just doesn't make sense to me. You release the same jersey kits with a new shoulder patch and yo have a whole host of people buying that new jersey, not to mention a new, originally designed logo that you can now put on merchandise. How does that not make more money than continuing to use the same jersey with logos that you don't even own the trademark for? It's not like they can sell hats with the AB flag as "Flames" merch, not that anyone would buy it.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #87
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crest alone would have been rad:

Full coat of arms even better (if it didn't need to be within another patch):
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #88
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't the flags only supposed to last a season? Like they didn't have time to come up with a shoulder patch for the new jersey so some marketing genius decided to put the flags on instead. They were kind of neat for a year but it's been over a decade now, get rid of them! The blue looks stupid, the Flames are not Alberta's team, and the flag of Alberta really isn't that nice.

I'd take blasty or even nothing over these although my preference is to just make that sunset logo the shoulder patch already. It takes the elements of the Alberta shield to produce an interesting contemporary Flames logo.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #89
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Ken King thought it was a dig at the Oilers to have the Alberta flag on the shoulders because that made us Alberta's Team. Likewise for the Canadian flag and the rest of the Canadian teams. Probably not true, but it just feels like it to me.

Nonetheless, the Flags on the jersey is a lame idea.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #90
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's a Blasty?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #91
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It was what most of us referred to as the horsehead jersey. Apparently, the name "Ol' blasty" has been around forever, but I honestly never heard it until the last few years here.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #92
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is easier to type Blasty than Flaming Snot Horse.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #93
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Crest alone would have been rad:

Full coat of arms even better (if it didn't need to be within another patch):
I think there was a protocol issue with the province. The crest and Coat of Arms are official government marks. The flag is authorized for public use.

Pretty sure the same goes for the Canadian Coat of Arms, which why we usually only see them on official documents.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #94
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
What's a Blasty?
If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. You can get a single Blasty for the same price as a ZJ
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #95
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Bring back snot horse!
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #96
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With all the metal .gifs in the PGTs I think this is fitting for a 3rd jersey logo or patch. Taken from r/calgaryflames
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 01-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #97
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
With all the metal .gifs in the PGTs I think this is fitting for a 3rd jersey logo or patch. Taken from r/calgaryflames

This looks like spilled milk
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #98
DenverFlame
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post

ist krieg! This would make a very grim and frostbitten / kvlt / trve jersey!

\m/\m/
DenverFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DenverFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #99
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Having the Alberta Flag would be novel if The Flames were the only team in Alberta.. I swear a huge part of my Flames fandom died the day those jerseys were released.

Funny enough, the Blasty/Horsehead was a huge reason why I became a Flames fan later in life.

I Will buy a new Horsehead jersey if The Flames release a modern version
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #100
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
This looks like spilled milk
No need to cry over it

I just got my Heritage Classic Gio in the mail today. I AM BEYOND psyched about it.

These jerseys are probably my Favorite in the league.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good , ken king please read , ol' blasty , pyjamas