Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 PM   #1441
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I'm living in a different reality or something.

The President can openly lie without consequence.

Zack Kassian is a folk hero standing up for the code of hockey against an objectively far superior hockey player in every conceivable capacity.

Jumping an unsuspecting person and throwing bare knuckle punches at their head and face while tackling them to a concrete-like surface is perfectly normal behaviour that does not indicate a need for serious anger management therapy and possible removal from the general population.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #1442
alnigi
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The thing is I don’t like the hit
For me it’s the type of hit than should be a penalty because it was more than required to regain possession
But under the current rules there was nothing wrong with it
And what Kassian did was far worse
And the all the talk of some so called code is just irritating
#### the code
There isn’t one
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I have to ask Jiri, why do all your posts read like telegrams now?

They're all strings of individual points typed as one line with no punctuation. I swear this is a newer development.
Haha
I was wondering how Jiri would respond. Perhaps a philosophical adjustment of character and in turn communication.

And it simply was a case of:
It’s when I’m on my phone

.... enjoyed your common sense post
alnigi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alnigi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #1443
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Why do some people completely ignore that a neutral party, the NHL Player Safety Department, made and completed a thorough investigation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
When has the DOPS ever just not spun a wheel to pick a punishment. Been a running joke for years. No two identical plays are disciplined the same, and the punishment differs depending on who’s on the receiving end.
Especially considering that the guy in charge of the DOPS these days is....George Parros.

He knows a thing or two about legal and illegal hits and 'unwritten codes.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:56 PM   #1444
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It’s when I’m on my phone
Are you always on your phone?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #1445
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
When has the DOPS ever just not spun a wheel to pick a punishment. Been a running joke for years. No two identical plays are disciplined the same, and the punishment differs depending on who’s on the receiving end.

You are right on this part, if the DOPS was on the ball and consistent Kassian would be in game two of a 20 game suspension as a multiple time dangerous offender who suckered a vulnerable player.

I've said that the DOPS is ironically named because they really don't seem to care about player safety.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #1446
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Yoho; 01-22-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #1447
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's like Katz sitting in his villains lair, watching the game, sees what goes down and presses his butler buzzer, in comes staples, spector, stauffer, chanting "yesss master" he tells them spin, spin this get that horrible Tkachuk for picking on poor zach, call in extra help if you can't do it yourselves.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:36 PM   #1448
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I guess by Oiler's logic, Matthew should grab McDavid from behind, throw him to the ice and punch his watermelon head in and it would be fine.
At which point McDavid would need to answer the bell.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:52 AM   #1449
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
They are neutral on the two teams involved. If any non-Flames fan dislikes Tkachuk it is because of his actions, not who he plays for.

The whole point of my post was that I found it bizarre that a Flames fan can't understand why much of the hockey world isn't coming down on Kassian for this incident.

It's because they also don't like how Tkachuk and how he plays the game.

Clearly you know that based on your post so my comment wasn't directed at you.
But how the hell do you have a tabulating and sorting machine that tells you who is neutral and who isn't, and then takes the masses and gives you a majority supporting Kassian?

When you follow a team that has their media actively canvassing the world for views that support their paranoia? Do you think David Staples comes across a comment like Bob McKenzie's or Chris Johnson's and rushes to write an article to summarize the fact that they think the hit is clean? Or do you think he looks away because it doesn't fit his narrative, and then goes on to the next one that does?

That happens within a city and media realm and you get a pretty unproportionate view of what neutral or the masses or everyone thinks.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #1450
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m wondering what the end game is here. I keep coming to the conclusion that the Oiler fanboy a few pages back is 100% representative of the Oiler fan base. You know the one...”I didn’t read the article but I agree with it”.

If MT was fighting Kaveman after the second hit, Kaveman actually punched MT 10 or 12 times and pulled him off of the ice to keep punching him. Throw in a horse collar as well. That is way more punches and aggression than Kaveman would get to throw and land in an actual fight, especially without getting hit back.

It’s an odd thing. So are we to understand that MT only had to face Kaveman and that would be a fight? Or Kaveman had to take a punch? It’s strange, but MT didn’t get Kaveman suspended, it was Kaveman’s actions that did it.

It’s very odd yet strangely consistent from shelbyville. Like, what is it that they actually want?
Old 01-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #1451
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I’m wondering what the end game is here. I keep coming to the conclusion that the Oiler fanboy a few pages back is 100% representative of the Oiler fan base. You know the one...”I didn’t read the article but I agree with it”.

If MT was fighting Kaveman after the second hit, Kaveman actually punched MT 10 or 12 times and pulled him off of the ice to keep punching him. Throw in a horse collar as well. That is way more punches and aggression than Kaveman would get to throw and land in an actual fight, especially without getting hit back.

It’s an odd thing. So are we to understand that MT only had to face Kaveman and that would be a fight? Or Kaveman had to take a punch? It’s strange, but MT didn’t get Kaveman suspended, it was Kaveman’s actions that did it.

It’s very odd yet strangely consistent from shelbyville. Like, what is it that they actually want?
I think half the people commenting didn't even see what happened. They think Kassian went after Tkachuk to fight and Tkachuk ran away and hid.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #1452
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think half the people commenting didn't even see what happened. They think Kassian went after Tkachuk to fight and Tkachuk ran away and hid.
Certainly what it seems like.

Kassian people talk about the code, yet Kassian broke the code waaaaaay more than Matthew did with his spaz tantrum.

I do want to see Lucic beat the ever loving shiz out of Kassian. That would hurt the Oil faithful and cement Lucic as even more of a fan favourite here. Id actually be just fine with seeing Milan give Kassian the treatment the caveman gave Tkachuk when Kassian wont square up and answer the bell.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #1453
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might have been mentioned but...

Two Tkachuks are all stars...not one Kassian.

Should be all you need to know.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #1454
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
It might have been mentioned but...

Two Tkachuks are all stars...not one Kassian.

Should be all you need to know.
Don't bring math into a discussion about Kassian. He's confused enough.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #1455
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are neutral on the two teams involved. If any non-Flames fan dislikes Tkachuk it is because of his actions, not who he plays for.

The whole point of my post was that I found it bizarre that a Flames fan can't understand why much of the hockey world isn't coming down on Kassian for this incident.

It's because they also don't like how Tkachuk and how he plays the game.
I'd wager half the neutral fans weighing in on the incident haven't watched a full Flames game with Tkachuk playing. Most fans are woefully ignorant of the rest of the league beyond their own team. They probably heard a comment about Tkachuk being a new Marchand and they just assume he goes around slashing people and spitting on them.

Most of these neutral fans probably don't know Tkachuk has fought 7 times in 4 seasons; some teams don't have a single player who has fought that much in the last 4 seasons. They almost certainly don't know he dropped the gloves against two Kings players in the games following the Doughty incident. Heck, some of them probably don't even know Tkachuk is a talented star player who leads his team in scoring.

And I thought the code prescribed that if a tough guy dummies a skilled player on the other team, he has to answer the bell against a tough guy teammate of the guy he dummied. Funny that we're not hearing that element of the code brought up by Kassian partisans.

Tkachuk is an 'agitator' mainly because he beaks off at guys to get them off their games. He's not a vicious cheap-shot artist like a Perry or Pronger - two star players who routinely set out to hurt opponents and rarely dropped the gloves.

Tkachuk didn't lay those hits on Kassian because he indiscriminately goes around cheap-shotting guys. He laid those hits because he knows Kassian has a short fuse and would probably do something dumb in retaliation. And he did. Mission accomplished.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-23-2020 at 10:31 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #1456
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Tkachuk didn't lay those hits on Kassian because he indiscriminately goes around cheap-shotting guys. He laid those hits because he knows Kassian has a short fuse and would probably do something dumb in retaliation. And he did. Mission accomplished.
Precisely.

"He didnt answer the bell! He didnt respect the code!!"

He was going out to try and (legally) provoke an opponent into doing something stupid in order to win the game.

Remember the game? Winning? The entire point of hockey??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #1457
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
But how the hell do you have a tabulating and sorting machine that tells you who is neutral and who isn't, and then takes the masses and gives you a majority supporting Kassian?

When you follow a team that has their media actively canvassing the world for views that support their paranoia? Do you think David Staples comes across a comment like Bob McKenzie's or Chris Johnson's and rushes to write an article to summarize the fact that they think the hit is clean? Or do you think he looks away because it doesn't fit his narrative, and then goes on to the next one that does?

That happens within a city and media realm and you get a pretty unproportionate view of what neutral or the masses or everyone thinks.

Reading what neutral fans said on the internet about the incident is where I got my impression that most are against Tkachuk on this.

You're right I didn't do a scientific poll on the subject.

You are free to disagree with my assessment, but Tkachuk is an agitator, and agitators are generally disliked so I figure this would kind of be an accepted conclusion even by fans of Tkachuk.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #1458
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Reading what neutral fans said on the internet about the incident is where I got my impression that most are against Tkachuk on this.

You are free to disagree with my assessment, but Tkachuk is an agitator, and agitators are generally disliked so I figure this would kind of be an accepted conclusion even by fans of Tkachuk.
Even if this is the expected conclusion, I see no good reason why Flames fans or anyone should merely accept it. This response from pockets in the wider hockey world and the groundswell of support that Kassian appears to have garnered among some is patently ridiculous. It's dumb. Calling out fans, Oilers apologists and former players for being dumb is definitely the appropriate response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #1459
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Right but by stating most fans dislike the guy you're essentially removing these fans from behind neutral taking us back to square one.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #1460
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In the continuing story of the stupidity of the Oilers fan base, they've now convinced themselves that Kassian is equal or better then Tkachuk. Is that whole city built on a short bus?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote