Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #5661
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we can all agree that perhaps the Flames have arrived as perennial playoff participants, I think we might need to see what we have in "playoff Sam Bennett"

That kid is built for playoff hockey. I know his production is underwhelming over an 82 game season, but he is exactly the type of player you want in the playoffs.

In the 2 roughest games this year, he was among the best players in the game.

The ship has sailed on Sam Bennett, best player on the Flames. But he is absolutely still an important player for this team.

Unless you can dangle him for a really good player, his value to the Flames is going to be much higher than he could fetch in a trade.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #5662
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Doesnt need wheels - everyone still hets a ride.
How dare you
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #5663
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Getting Schenn would be amazing. I would be willing to trade quite a bit for him and try and work it out down the road extension wise. He's a damned good player. I would trade our 1st next year and a conditional 1st if we make the conf finals (maybe it turns into a 2nd or 3rd if we choke), as well as a prospect or two, guys like Dube or Mangiapane or both. They might demand Kylington though, I know I would. Kylington + 1st + copnditional 1st? Probably enough but can we stomach that? If Stone isn't ready to come back we'd probably need to take a guy like Bortuzzo back for depth.

Gaudreau Monahan Lindholm
Tkachuk Schenn Neal
Bennett Backlund Frolik
Jankowski Ryan Hathaway

Quine, Czarnik

Gio Brodie
Hanifin Hamonic
Valimaki Andersson

Bortuzzo/Stone/Kylington

Rittich
Smith

This is a Stanley Cup worthy roster. Who cares about goaltending when your top 9 looks like that? Kidding, we still care but I think Peters can handle the two goalies and press the right buttons to get wins. Some more run support would go a long way though, just in case.

Also, as an added benefit, Schenn's addition would transform our 2nd pp into something actually respectable, probably even better. He's excelled on the pp in his career but the top unit is pretty much set. That would leave him to pp2, and he's just the type of player they need there.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #5664
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With the Flames collectively playing so well it is really increasing the value of some of the depth/fringe guys from a trade perspective imo. A guy like Kylington who I think had some value at the start of the year are moving into territory where I think teams would give up a lot to get him. I am more optimistic they could target a forward upgrade with their assets now but I don't think centre is a great idea - doesn't make sense to me to move Janko to the wing. I'd rather see them target a bona fide right shot RW with some scoring to play with Backlund and Tkachuk long term.

Going to be some tough calls when everyone is healthy about who goes down though. I don't see how you get Stone back into the lineup now that Kylington has shown he can play and Prout can be a passable fill in when toughness is needed.

Also... I don't think Neal is untradeable if the Flames are willing to eat salary - yet. If say they swallow 1.5 a year on the contract, it would still be way cheaper than buying him out and I think he'd actually have value to a lot of teams on 4 mil-ish a year.

Not advocating for it but if the relationship sours, may make sense to do it, swallow the 9 mil hit over 4 seasons and recoup something for it. I think he'll be better eventually and end up with 15 goals or so once the dam breaks for him, but he just doesn't seem to have the pace to play the Flames style of game.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #5665
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup, a solid second line centre and some help in the net should be on BT's Xmas list....

....wait..

what's this I hear about Flash's Grandma?
Old 12-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #5666
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tkachuk-Schenn-Neal could be a first line on a lot of teams. The hope would be it would get Neal going too, that would be a beauty.

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik is a great 3rd shutdown grit line, each player in their ideal positions.

With 3 lines like that, the 4th is almost irrelevant with how much time they will get, but, being able to throw out

Quine-Ryan-Hathaway is nothing to snuff at.

Last edited by Phagoof; 12-17-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #5667
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a story out of the Boston Globe that the Flames are looking at dealing a d-man in the next two months.

Quote:
The Flames are believed to be looking to move one of their defensemen, reports Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe. The back end has long been viewed as a strength in Calgary but the Flames are projected to finish the season less than $1 million under the salary cap, which doesn’t give them a lot of wiggle room with which to work if they want to add to the roster between now and the trade deadline.
Calgary came into the season with rookie Juuso Valimaki surprising many by earning a spot on the roster while sophomore Rasmus Andersson has played in all but three games so far as well. Injuries to Valimaki (lower body) and Michael Stone (blood clot) have pressed Oliver Kylington into action, and he has held his own in limited minutes.
As a result, the Flames have an impressive surplus of defensemen. Assuming that captain Mark Giordano and offseason acquisition Noah Hanifin are off the table, veterans T.J. Brodie ($4.65 million) and Travis Hamonic ($3.86 million) make sense as impact trade targets for teams. Both players are on below-market contracts and are signed through 2019-20, so they aren’t pure rentals. Accordingly, each player would yield a significant return if the Flames were to part with one.
Alternatively, GM Brad Treliving could also be convinced to part with one of his younger defenders. While that wouldn’t achieve the salary-cap savings that the Calgary could certainly use, any similar move would likely bring in a quality young forward who could help supplement the Flames' secondary scoring.
With how the likes of Valimaki and Andersson have performed, Calgary has an opportunity to cash in on an organizational surplus that could certainly help many teams. With Hamonic and Brodie set to become unrestricted free agents in 2020, it’s likely that the Flames were looking to deal from that depth by no later than the 2019 offseason. Instead, it appears they’re willing to make that type of move within the next couple of months.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...cid=spartanntp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #5668
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'd say moving Stone seems like the obvious option.

IMO, we're not trading Brodie or Hamonic this year, not while we're playing so well and they're both hugely important to the team.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #5669
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Here is a story out of the Boston Globe that the Flames are looking at dealing a d-man in the next two months.

I would have trouble believing that the Flames would move Brodie before the summer, unless they think they could improve the team long term by adding a young forward on a decent contract who would be able to contribute immediately. Which is likely what Tre would be looking to do.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #5670
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post

Hamonic I could, but Brodie? No. Brodano is one of the, if not the best D-pairings in the league this season. It's no secret Gio elevates Brodie (or anyone he plays with really) but I don't think you move Brodie unless someone will overpay for him.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #5671
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Hamonic I could, but Brodie? No. Brodano is one of the, if not the best D-pairings in the league this season. It's no secret Gio elevates Brodie (or anyone he plays with really) but I don't think you move Brodie unless someone will overpay for him.
Brodie is having a terrific season, but the Flames have no one like Hamonic to replace Hamonic, whereas there are a couple other smooth skating, good passing D's on the move upwards in the roster.

I don't think either gets traded before the end of the year.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #5672
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I cant see the Flames trading either mid season. Our top 4 is so solid right now it wouldn't make sense to mess with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #5673
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Flipping Brodie makes a ton of sense next summer, and I can see Toronto being very interested for a variety of reasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #5674
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Flipping Brodie makes a ton of sense next summer, and I can see Toronto being very interested for a variety of reasons.
And who do they have we would want back? Kapanen perhaps, but he is gonna want a bigger contract then I'd be willing to give. Draft picks? I bet they'd be pretty late draft picks.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #5675
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Brodie wouldn't squawk at Toronto. If he has a great year (as it's looking to be), he could command pretty good value. But only a few players in Toronto interest me and of those only two might be moved (Kadri and Nylander). I would look at Sparks too I guess, as part of a package.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #5676
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I was thinking Kadri too, but I think he is on an expiring deal and he is kinda just a downgrade on Backlund, no? I doubt they are moving Nylander. I just feel like we should aim to either try and address the goalie situation, although I'm cool with riding Rittich for as long as he remains making the big saves, or I want a player to slot in with Chucky and Backlund that can also move to centre when either of the top two Cs get injured.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #5677
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
I was thinking Kadri too, but I think he is on an expiring deal and he is kinda just a downgrade on Backlund, no? I doubt they are moving Nylander. I just feel like we should aim to either try and address the goalie situation, although I'm cool with riding Rittich for as long as he remains making the big saves, or I want a player to slot in with Chucky and Backlund that can also move to centre when either of the top two Cs get injured.
I think it's quite likely Nylander gets moved, despite their statements to the contrary.

Kadri isn't a downgrade offensively. 32 goals each of the last two years.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #5678
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Brodie is having a terrific season, but the Flames have no one like Hamonic to replace Hamonic
You present this as if Brodie's contributions are less vital to this team's success than Hamonic's.

They're not. Brodie may play a more saturated style but his contributions are a far more significant part of the team's success. If Andersson could handle top 4 duties (no, he can't yet) I'd be perfectly content moving Hamonic even if we lose the aesthetics of Hamonic's fearless style.

The team at this point would be idiotic to move Brodie. They probably shouldn't move Hamonic either until Andersson shows better ability to hang in a top 4 role with Hanifin.

If we're moving a D it's most likely Stone, maybe Prout too as a favour. Or maybe we're moving one of our trifecta of young L.D. - Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington, although I feel it's too early to make a decision there given the ceilings of these three.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #5679
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'd say moving Stone seems like the obvious option.

IMO, we're not trading Brodie or Hamonic this year, not while we're playing so well and they're both hugely important to the team.
No team is going to pick up a 3.5 million dollar 7th/8yh defender on a indefinite IR.

If the reporting is true it points squarely at Brodie in my mind.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #5680
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buyout Stone next summer, trade Brodie for quality assets and see if someone will take Frolik off our hands and we have all kinds of cap flexibility
Closed Thread