Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #341
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Wow they’re clearly aligned against him just like they were last time against Bernie. Pretty unreal. They’re scared of his message.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #342
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like it's a new thing for "outsider" candidates. Ron Paul had the same thing happen with Fox, and while it seems like forever ago now, Trump was basically at war with Fox until it was clear he was the favourite to win the nomination.

Interestingly, that NBC producer's mistake was explained... but not in a good way for NBC. There were two separate NBC videos put out with that graphic on it, and in one, Yang's name appears, and in the other, it doesn't.

Why's that bad for NBC? The one where Yang's name appears was the first one. In the subsequent one, it's gone. They literally removed his name from a graphic he was on.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1169816832275931137
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 PM   #343
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yang is like the Maps with New Zealand Missing of US Presidential Candidates.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #344
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Seems like a legit complaint about media bias against Yang, that’s pretty bad. Man. The States is so ####ed up.

Meanwhile in that video on the previous page Yang talks about curing the cause of Trump “symptom”, being out of work Americans in the Midwest who were disenfranchised and voted for him.

And his solution is universal income. Okay. Makes sense. Then he says, so we’ll give everyone $1,000/ month.

Really? $12,000 / year? That should do the trick for the average American?

This isn’t 1925. Bizarre.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #345
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's just the starting point. 12,000 is low and people are still against it.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #346
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Seems like a legit complaint about media bias against Yang, that’s pretty bad. Man. The States is so ####ed up.

Meanwhile in that video on the previous page Yang talks about curing the cause of Trump “symptom”, being out of work Americans in the Midwest who were disenfranchised and voted for him.

And his solution is universal income. Okay. Makes sense. Then he says, so we’ll give everyone $1,000/ month.

The intent isn't so you can just sit at home and never work again, it's to give the underemployed some breathing room. Life is a lot less stressful with a $1000 cushion, especially if you're living in a small midwestern town.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #347
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's just the starting point. 12,000 is low and people are still against it.
Give it time. It's gonna happen. Between climate change and technological automation, the economy is going to have to be radically restructured in the near future. The more we cling to the old system instead of transitioning, the bigger we risk outright social chaos and collapse in the long run. There is a choice between greater equality and sustainability and then there is sucking the last drop of wealth for the 1% and destroying the planet in the process. Hopefully we choose the sane option.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #348
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

The $1000 was for political reasons, as a number that a voter can wrap their mind around. And it's close enough to the number that is needed by a significant percentage of Americans to actually make a significant difference in their lives. It sounds sad, but there it is.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #349
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The intent isn't so you can just sit at home and never work again, it's to give the underemployed some breathing room. Life is a lot less stressful with a $1000 cushion, especially if you're living in a small midwestern town.
Pretty much. Without it, a lot of people are in a position where they're thinking, "I can't lose my job or my kids will starve". 78% of the country lives paycheck to paycheck. Which is why Yang's line about his "Freedom Dividend" (which is just UBI rebranded because UBI sounds a lot like UTI) is that its purpose is to "get the boot off of people's throats".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #350
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Wow they’re clearly aligned against him just like they were last time against Bernie. Pretty unreal. They’re scared of his message.
I don’t think it is a fear of his message.

It like a sports broadcast, a known player will always get highlights and stats shown on a list of stats even if they aren’t amount the leaders.

So guys like O’Rourke show up because the networks believe people want to here about them. It has nothing to do with a fear of his agenda, instead it’s caused by the sole desire of these networks being entertainment.

A wonky Asian doesn’t move the needle.

The mistake is the belief that the TVs news network has any objective about presenting policy options to the public so they can make an informed choice.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 AM   #351
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think it is a fear of his message.

It like a sports broadcast, a known player will always get highlights and stats shown on a list of stats even if they aren’t amount the leaders.

So guys like O’Rourke show up because the networks believe people want to here about them. It has nothing to do with a fear of his agenda, instead it’s caused by the sole desire of these networks being entertainment.

A wonky Asian doesn’t move the needle.

The mistake is the belief that the TVs news network has any objective about presenting policy options to the public so they can make an informed choice.
I'm not sure I really buy that unless NBC is living in the stone age and have never heard of the internet. The guy is trending way higher than a lot of the established politicians he's outpolling. So if it's for ratings, you'd think they would still include Yang.

It really does feel like a deliberate attempt to mention him as less as possible to me.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #352
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Give it time. It's gonna happen. Between climate change and technological automation, the economy is going to have to be radically restructured in the near future. The more we cling to the old system instead of transitioning, the bigger we risk outright social chaos and collapse in the long run. There is a choice between greater equality and sustainability and then there is sucking the last drop of wealth for the 1% and destroying the planet in the process. Hopefully we choose the sane option.
It's ridiculous how much policy is based on outdated boomer principles like "everyone should work and work good jobs if they want to survive!" In times of scarcity, both in terms of resources and skilled workers, that makes complete sense. In times of excess wealth and skilled workers, it doesn't.

Your options are either to continue with 20th century economic policies, which are bound to continue to contribute to instability and disruption, or find a post-scarcity economic reformation that makes sense.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #353
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got about 3 minutes into Biden's interview on Colbert before I had to change it.

Just sick of him.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #354
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Counting on youth and minorities is how you lose elections.
Tell that to Obama and Trudeau. I think Clinton also won his first election on the backs of higher minority and youth turnout.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #355
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Tell that to Obama and Trudeau. I think Clinton also won his first election on the backs of higher minority and youth turnout.
Okay I will tell them...Dems should totally focus on minorities and youth I guess. Forget the blue collar white guys

More votes in NY and Cali! Can you imagine the popular vote victory!
Old 09-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #356
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Nenshi too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #357
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay I will tell them...Dems should totally focus on minorities and youth I guess. Forget the blue collar white guys

More votes in NY and Cali! Can you imagine the popular vote victory!
Did all the minorities and youths emigrate to NY and Cali without my knowledge?
Old 09-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #358
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau and Nenshi are irrelevant to a US federal election.

How about "ask Trump"

Minorities and Youth were supposed to bury him yet white blue collar workers otherwise known as the majority gave him the victory.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #359
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trudeau and Nenshi are irrelevant to a US federal election.

How about "ask Trump"

Minorities and Youth were supposed to bury him yet white blue collar workers otherwise known as the majority gave him the victory.
Because the youth and minority vote stayed home. I've said it before in this thread, but the Democrats need a candidate that appeals to both to win.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #360
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because the youth and minority vote stayed home. I've said it before in this thread, but the Democrats need a candidate that appeals to both to win.
If someone calling you a rapist and a murderer doesn't get you to the polls to nothing will.

I am not saying ignore youth/minorities but that certainly shouldn't be their main focus. Look at the states that will decide the election...its not rocket appliances.

Minorities are actually minorities in swing states...most live in CA, Texas, NY, states that are already in the bag one way or another

Last edited by dino7c; 09-06-2019 at 03:15 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote