Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
What a complete load of crap.

You can spin the results and call the vote whatever you want, having the vote then ignoring the results would lose all faith in the democratic process. We just did something similar with the olympic decision. City hall didn’t have to listen to that vote either but they did.
Okay, in fairness to the Brexit vote though, there was a ton of misinformation going on.

It might be one of the most politically charged and misleading referendums ever and Johnson was a big part of it.

It should never have come to that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #222
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

You can spin the results and call the vote whatever you want, having the vote then ignoring the results would lose all faith in the democratic process. We just did something similar with the olympic decision. City hall didn’t have to listen to that vote either but they did.
Lose all faith eh??

Did you miss this?:

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #223
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, the Brits. Those Brexiters are so against immigration, they'd willingly sacrifice economic health and financial well being in order to achieve it. Good luck with that continued train wreck. The EU is going to make an example of Britain, and Johnson really has no choice but to put all his chips in the US. Lucky for him, their goals align in that the US wants to break the EU, so I'm sure they'll sweeten it for the UK in order to entice others to leave the EU.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #224
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Lose all faith eh??

Did you miss this?:

Sooooo typical. So the 48% of people that lost the vote decided to have a rally that they want to re do the vote. What else is new. The whole protesting a vote that didn’t go your way is a protest against democracy.

My favorite is the guy in the video that says he didn’t know what he was voting for. That one was good. Do your research before you vote. We have the internet now with tons of information you can filter through.

Then add in the kids who are maybe 7. I didn’t know kids were so involved in politics these days. I’d love to hear their views on how this will effect the british economy.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #225
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brexit - Theresa May survives vote of non-confidence

Quote:

Specifically, what is crap in my post?

1. Advisory referendum? Here’s Nigel Farage saying it: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7401151.html
2. Electoral laws broken: https://www.electoralcommission.org....ent-vote-leave
3. Lies: I’m not even going to start, just google “side of a bus”
4. Representative democracy: http://www.politicsguide.co.uk/uk-politics/
5. Good idea? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vijAmtc4kEI
6. Disenfranchisement? EU citizens who lived and contributed to the tax system for years had no vote. Neither did UK citizens who made their lives in other EU countries. This despite the impact being greater upon them.

No spin, just facts.

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 08-28-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #226
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Ah, the Brits. Those Brexiters are so against immigration, they'd willingly sacrifice economic health and financial well being in order to achieve it. Good luck with that continued train wreck. The EU is going to make an example of Britain, and Johnson really has no choice but to put all his chips in the US. Lucky for him, their goals align in that the US wants to break the EU, so I'm sure they'll sweeten it for the UK in order to entice others to leave the EU.
They’re more concerned with setting their own rules on immigration rather than being dictated by a eu committee their own people didn’t elect what their policies will be.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #227
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sooooo typical. So the 48% of people that lost the vote decided to have a rally that they want to re do the vote. What else is new. The whole protesting a vote that didn’t go your way is a protest against democracy.

My favorite is the guy in the video that says he didn’t know what he was voting for. That one was good. Do your research before you vote. We have the internet now with tons of information you can filter through.

Then add in the kids who are maybe 7. I didn’t know kids were so involved in politics these days. I’d love to hear their views on how this will effect the british economy.

I know more than most but the issue was so complex and impossible to research effectively, especially given the preponderance of lies and misinformation from all parties during the referendum campaign.

Even now, those most involved in the preparation of Brexit have very limited understanding of what the impact will be. And by impact, I mean degrees of chaos and confusion.

The Trade Act that allows for trade remedies hasn’t even made it through Parliament yet.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #228
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I know more than most but the issue was so complex and impossible to research effectively, especially given the preponderance of lies and misinformation from all parties during the referendum campaign.

Even now, those most involved in the preparation of Brexit have very limited understanding of what the impact will be. And by impact, I mean degrees of chaos and confusion.

The Trade Act that allows for trade remedies hasn’t even made it through Parliament yet.
Will it be the end of Britain or will Britain be fine after an adjustment period? Sure there will be bumps, nobody is denying that. Britain was fine before the eu and will be fine without it. People are sooo scared of change and you can count on the stay campaign to scare people into seeing it their way.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #229
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty agnostic on Brexit. Everyone should be. No one should be agnostic on a second referendum. No matter how many millions march in the street, there was a decision, and the British government needs to go through with it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #230
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Will it be the end of Britain or will Britain be fine after an adjustment period? Sure there will be bumps, nobody is denying that. Britain was fine before the eu and will be fine without it. People are sooo scared of change and you can count on the stay campaign to scare people into seeing it their way.
I don't think its people being afraid of change. I think a large portion of the people see it as a negative move for Britains future. So why go through with it? Leave may have won, but there were a lot of lies that made that happen. And then one of the chief liars becomes PM?!?!! At least I don't feel as ashamed as an American when other countries are equally sized dumpster fires!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #231
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I don't think its people being afraid of change. I think a large portion of the people see it as a negative move for Britains future. So why go through with it? Leave may have won, but there were a lot of lies that made that happen. And then one of the chief liars becomes PM?!?!! At least I don't feel as ashamed as an American when other countries are equally sized dumpster fires!
This is why it must happen.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #232
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The UK was not fine before the EU it was in chaos and falling apart, as a state it is around the most unproductive least educated in the 'west', it has an economy geared solely towards providing services to the EU.

The economic effect of Brexit will be the loss of around 50% of its service sector that wont be replaced, it will be a permanent weakening of the UK economy dropping them down to lower second rate status
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #233
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Britain was not fine before joining the EU.

We aren’t talking about bumps, we are talking about Britain not in any way prepared for this.

We are talking about Britain playing fast and loose with the Good Friday Agreement, and will create utter havoc on the island of Ireland.

We are talking about massive loss of jobs, and that will be exacerbated by an inability to export items made in the UK because of established and intertwined supply chains that will call into question the rules of origins of what we produce which is fundamental to WTO laws.

We have little to know leverage against much larger trading blocks.

Also going back to the GFA, the US as a guarantor of it has already said there can be no trade deal if it is broken.

Just some of the bumps, and not even a start on how it will affect the science community, availability of medication and a plethora of other issues.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #234
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm pretty agnostic on Brexit. Everyone should be. No one should be agnostic on a second referendum. No matter how many millions march in the street, there was a decision, and the British government needs to go through with it.

Why? The premise on which Brexit was promoted was faulty. Does the end here justify the means? If the people impacted by this want another vote feel they made a grave mistake, then re-do it. Have another vote - "no exit, no-deal Brexit, or Brexit with EU deal". Admitting a mistake isn't then end of the world for Britain. This would be forgotten whenever the next scandal happens. Cancel Brexit and then immediately put Prince Andrew on trial. The country wold care less about Brexit at that point.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #235
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Hopefully there has been work going on in the background to ensure that a no-deal Brexit is a seamless transition if it goes that way.

Clearly you know very little about the UK, it will be an unplanned ****show, its what we do
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #236
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
This is why it must happen.
I disagree. It wasn't binding, so in the literal sense it doesn't have to happen. And in the figurative sense, the vote was not done properly. If they truly wanted to govern by the will of the people, then they needed to have terms negotiated with the EU before going to the people. Then the people could have properly been informed on that they are voting on.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #237
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why? The premise on which Brexit was promoted was faulty. Does the end here justify the means? If the people impacted by this want another vote feel they made a grave mistake, then re-do it. Have another vote - "no exit, no-deal Brexit, or Brexit with EU deal". Admitting a mistake isn't then end of the world for Britain. This would be forgotten whenever the next scandal happens. Cancel Brexit and then immediately put Prince Andrew on trial. The country wold care less about Brexit at that point.
And then after that vote have another re-do vote to see if you get a different turn out? Maybe make it a best of 7 referendums?

Maybe we need a re vote if Trudeau gets re elected?

If you don’t like the results, question the method?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #238
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
And then after that vote have another re-do vote to see if you get a different turn out? Maybe make it a best of 7 referendums?

If you don’t like the results, question the method?
That’s isn’t the same thing. At all.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #239
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why not? Maybe this time it can be done without breaking Electoral Commission law and the decision made by a more informed (though still not informed enough) electorate.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #240
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how Barnet Flame has brought in a bunch of nuance and fair questions in his posts and stampsx2's responses have basically been "Nuh uh!"
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: