Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #2301
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I use swing U. It works fine (syncs to your phone while you are playing) but it can be buggy. I’ve lost a few hole scores where it didn’t sync and had to plug them in by memory. Last round I had to reset it a few times to get it back working which was annoying.

It runs off gps and you can add your scores in on your watch which is good enough for me. The laser finders are way more accurate but I don’t need that.
Do you need a version of the watch with GPS to have it run on the watch? I like the app, but I have to use my phone for yardages and such the whole round. My watch is version two (no GPS) though, so maybe that's why?

For a little more on topic, I played Blue Devil a couple times and they've been out repairing their greens. There are a few holes where the greens are pathetic. "which way do you think it will kick off that sod?" kind of thing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #2302
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, lost balls are annoying any time, but they make you want to throw your clubs away during a great round. 4 and I'd just drive my cart through the pro shop and loudly announce my retirement from golf. Still a great score though.
4 lost balls is just another day for me unfortunately. If I only lose 1-2 it's a pretty good round.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #2303
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Played my 60th round of the summer this morning. I'm hitting my drives straight but my short game has fallen apart and is causing me a lot of grief.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #2304
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, lost balls are annoying any time, but they make you want to throw your clubs away during a great round. 4 and I'd just drive my cart through the pro shop and loudly announce my retirement from golf. Still a great score though.
I went for a short walk in the farmers field next to hole #5 at Nanton this morning. Found a dozen ProV 1's in the grass
Old 08-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #2305
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Played my 60th round of the summer this morning. I'm hitting my drives straight but my short game has fallen apart and is causing me a lot of grief.

I found this happens to me as well. I just go to the range, hit a small bucket, work out the kinks and that pretty much straightens me out until next time it's needed. like a month or two.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #2306
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I went for a short walk in the farmers field next to hole #5 at Nanton this morning. Found a dozen ProV 1's in the grass
Two of those pro-v 1's are mine, Dion. I'll collect next time I'm down that way. Thank you.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #2307
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Two of those pro-v 1's are mine, Dion. I'll collect next time I'm down that way. Thank you.
Problem is you never send a PM asking to play. Remember I get 7 days advance booking and can get a good morning tee time on the weekend
Old 08-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #2308
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Bearspaw today. The facilities of course are total shambles, but the course is as good as ever. First time playing it since being a junior member as a teenager. Ah, the memories. I still think 16 might be one of the best holes in the entire city. What an epic par 5.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #2309
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Played Bearspaw today. The facilities of course are total shambles, but the course is as good as ever. First time playing it since being a junior member as a teenager. Ah, the memories. I still think 16 might be one of the best holes in the entire city. What an epic par 5.
I think it’s the best 3 hole finish in town. Great stretch of holes.

18 from the tips is a very dramatic finish.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #2310
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post

Not in town but.. Speargrass would be tough to beat. Never played Bearspaw though.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #2311
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I'm playing it on Sunday. Really looking forward to it.

Hope the game holds up.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #2312
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Valley Ridge this morning and Inglewood this afternoon. Started to lose some steam, 36 is a tough go. Was fun though!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #2313
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post

Good call:

I'd rank the holes:
Old 08-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #2314
EuKnoLikeMonny
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Played Silvertip over the weekend. What a cool track with all the elevation changes, shot an 86. That 18th hole downhill, easily reachable in 2. Had never golfed in Banff/Canmore had always bypassed to Invermere or gone to Kananaskis. Definitely like the price of Kananaskis better though!
EuKnoLikeMonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #2315
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Do you need a version of the watch with GPS to have it run on the watch? I like the app, but I have to use my phone for yardages and such the whole round. My watch is version two (no GPS) though, so maybe that's why?
That's the one thing I don't like. The app is on your phone and watch, but runs the yardage off your phone GPS.

I've left my phone in the bag a few times and walked to the t box on par 3's, and have gotten the yardage entirely wrong when looking at my watch.

It also needs to sync to your phone while you are playing if you input your scores on your watch. I've lost an entire front 9 because it wasn't syncing properly because my watch wasn't close enough to the phone when I put the score in.

Cottonwood runs an app that calculates your handicap, so I have to manually enter my round afterwards from SwingU to their app to make sure it is recorded properly.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #2316
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the one thing I don't like. The app is on your phone and watch, but runs the yardage off your phone GPS.

I've left my phone in the bag a few times and walked to the t box on par 3's, and have gotten the yardage entirely wrong when looking at my watch.

It also needs to sync to your phone while you are playing if you input your scores on your watch. I've lost an entire front 9 because it wasn't syncing properly because my watch wasn't close enough to the phone when I put the score in.

Cottonwood runs an app that calculates your handicap, so I have to manually enter my round afterwards from SwingU to their app to make sure it is recorded properly.
I guess my issue is that I don't have it on my watch at all? So I had to carry the phone in my pocket and pull it out to check the yardage or enter scores every time. I know...first world problems, but it would be nice to have that on that watch!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #2317
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use golf gamebook on my phone to keep score. Just keep it in my back pocket while I play. Doesn't bother me.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #2318
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I guess my issue is that I don't have it on my watch at all? So I had to carry the phone in my pocket and pull it out to check the yardage or enter scores every time. I know...first world problems, but it would be nice to have that on that watch!
The watch absolutely tells you yardage and keeps score, but you need it close to the phone.

I'm pretty impatient as well. Every time I used the Cottonwood app to tell me yardage, I had to pull my phone out and put my PW in (facial doesn't work in the sun with a hat and glasses on). So at first I got rid of my password, but that deletes all your Apple pay. So I had to constantly reload my cards.

So then I go out and buy a watch so I can just look at my watch and get yardages and input a score, but to keep my Apple pay I need a PW on my watch, so now I have to punch that in while I am playing, and make sure I am close to my phone to make sure the GPS reads correctly. Then also plug in my scores to calculate handicap correctly. I do this 3-5 days a week, so it's SUPER ANNOYING.

I play with a guy who owns a Garmin, and to be totally honest I would just go with that instead of Apple for golf.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #2319
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm actually playing this aft and I'm giving Golfshot a go. It looks like you can use it with the watch only using the watch's GPS.

I've had enough of SwingU.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #2320
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually playing this aft and I'm giving Golfshot a go. It looks like you can use it with the watch only using the watch's GPS.

I've had enough of SwingU.
Post about your thoughts? I just don't have SwingU on my watch for some reason. Maybe my watch version would need to be a GPS watch for that though.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow