Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #421
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Finally tried Paul's Pizza in Shawnessy and it was fantastic. Pretty thick pizza, but just excellent cheese. Definitely check it out if you live near by. They have a crap tonne of food on their menu, I figured they'd be the usual "Pizza, wings and a couple other things" that pizza titled restaurants usually are.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #422
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Heads up if you're going to try it, Tuesday's are all you can eat pizza for $16 (dine in from 5-9pm), Wednesday is buy one get one on pizza (dine in and pick up all day).

Also, pasta and salad is all you can eat $16 on Sunday's (4-9 dine in only).

*This sounds like I have a vested interest, but just happened to have the menu in front of me, haha.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #423
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it is Pizza Week next week. Has anyone tried Pizza on the Fly in Northland Mall? They have a tempting pizza for Pizza Week. Is it any good? It looks like it is only pizza by the slice (square) though?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #424
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who here makes a good Greek style pizza?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #425
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Who here makes a good Greek style pizza?
Spiros
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #426
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stavros was pretty good from what I remember.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #427
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone ever have Michael's? Yelp says they have the best GF pizza around, tempted to go try it.
As a guy who loves Gluten... I actually like their GF pizza. We order it at a friends house who lives close to there as his fiance is GF. Do it!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #428
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to head there Saturday night, thanks.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #429
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Finally tried Paul's Pizza in Shawnessy and it was fantastic. Pretty thick pizza, but just excellent cheese. Definitely check it out if you live near by. They have a crap tonne of food on their menu, I figured they'd be the usual "Pizza, wings and a couple other things" that pizza titled restaurants usually are.
I give them points for taking advantage of the .pizza url. That's fun. I am also going to take away all their points for having a home page that's 73mb in size and takes over a minute to load. I've never seen that done intentionally before.

pauls.pizza

Still, looks like a decent alternative to Boston Pizza. Will try.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #430
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah I love that place. Had been in Airdrie a couple of times and was pretty excited to have them down south. They're another solid option for me along with Jon's, Olive Grove, Top's, and Crispy Crust.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #431
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Sorry but that wasn't genuine either.

It's not even possible to stuff crust a genuine Chicago style pizza. The pizza crust should be a relatively thin and crumbly almost pie like crust. The crust isn't really bread like, so there's no place to hide cheese.
You misunderstood! I didn't mean a stuffed crust. I meant a stuffed pizza like Giordano's does, to name one place in Chicago I definitely know does that. They have a thin round disc of dough they put on top of the traditional layers of cheese/sauce/toppings once it's almost the right height, and then they top that disc with just sauce and cheese before baking to finish. I've only been to Chicago once and never tried a stuffed there (just 2 delicious traditional ones at Lou Malnati's and Uno).

I did the stuffed at Bensonhurst once though. I still prefer the open top, as I feel like it throws off the dough/topping ratio. That said, I don't doubt that Giordano's do something different, as it's popular there, and likely for good reason!

Bensonhurst also did a New York style (better than dollar slice I'd say, but not as good as the best slices I've had), the Chicago as mentioned, a Neapolitan (never tried it since I could get that a few other places in town), and a Sicilian. Really sad the place didn't last. It seemed like more of a not knowing how to run a business issue than anything. I found the pizza fricking great!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #432
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
And Michael himself was the guy with a moustache who they used to always show after the Flames scored a goal back in the day.
Seriously?

that's pretty cool... I like Michael's pizza, its funny "that guy" is Michael...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #433
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The place on 10th Ave behind(ish) the Tower?

Their pizza is very good and decently priced too. I haven't had their GF (I assume that's gluten free) crust, but their regular stuff is excellent.
holy crap, I just googled this place and the pizza looks amazing. How have I not heard about this place before?
Old 09-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #434
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Still, looks like a decent alternative to Boston Pizza. Will try.
What isn't a decent alternative to BP's?

Just had takeout BP's from the new North Hill location. Good god that is some terrible pizza. Plasticky Dough, mealy gritty cheese, razor thin pepperoni and green peppers - this was truly on par with a frozen pizza from Safeway.

The kicker? $46 for a medium and a small.

I miss when BP's used to be a solid place for decent food. I can't see how Jim Treliving sits down in front of this and says "Wow, this is good" (He of course says - "We make a lot of margin on that pizza")
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #435
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Just had takeout BP's from the new North Hill location. Good god that is some terrible pizza. Plasticky Dough, mealy gritty cheese, razor thin pepperoni and green peppers - this was truly on par with a frozen pizza from Safeway.

I miss when BP's used to be a solid place for decent food. I can't see how Jim Treliving sits down in front of this and says "Wow, this is good" (He of course says - "We make a lot of margin on that pizza")
I liken BP's pizza to eating cardboard with pizza sauce.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #436
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

It's hard how me justify not getting Domino's when getting lower end fast food style pizza. They've made some serious efforts to increase the quality of their pizza.

BPs seems to have gone the opposite way. They used to have a higher quality than the fast food places, which justified their higher price.

I'm not sure how BP is managing to stay in business right now. They are a lot less than the American chains like Applebee's, and they charge a lot more than the fast food places.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #437
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the GF pizza at Michaels rank amoung the best I've ever had. The service, not so much...forgot to bring us our wine, then we discovered one wine glass was loaded with lipstick, and took awhile to get a new one. Then took about 30 minutes for the pizza, and when it came out I confirmed that it was GF. It was not. Fortunately I'm in the habit of double checking these things...So another 20 minutes...but he did bring me a complimentary salad while I waited. I get it, things happen, was just a little annoying after waiting all day for it!
Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #438
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well the GF pizza at Michaels rank amoung the best I've ever had. The service, not so much...forgot to bring us our wine, then we discovered one wine glass was loaded with lipstick, and took awhile to get a new one. Then took about 30 minutes for the pizza, and when it came out I confirmed that it was GF. It was not. Fortunately I'm in the habit of double checking these things...So another 20 minutes...but he did bring me a complimentary salad while I waited. I get it, things happen, was just a little annoying after waiting all day for it!
I’m glad you enjoyed the pizza! I’ve never actually ate in there so that is good to know!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #439
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

Touche. I meant a place I can sit down with my kids and not have to worry about them being overly loud and obnoxious in Shawnessy. The only other pizza places around here are take out joints.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #440
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's hard how me justify not getting Domino's when getting lower end fast food style pizza. They've made some serious efforts to increase the quality of their pizza.
I don't get it here because every fast food place here pretty much sucks but I loved Domino's when I lived in North Vancouver. Every time my parents would come to visit we would get it the night they got in and the night before they left.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote