Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #221
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Dear Calgary homeowners, you don't own the parking spot in front of your house

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-of-your-house
Nothing divides quite like this issue.......oh and cycling in the city.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #222
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I don't hate bicycles but I do think the cycle track was poorly designed and implemented.

I do own a horse but it lives in the country. Who they hell rides a horse into the city?
McCloud

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #223
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't hate bicycles but I do think the cycle track was poorly designed and implemented.

I do own a horse but it lives in the country. Who they hell rides a horse into the city?
I'd be curious for specifics on this.

I've used a good chunk of it, and I agree with you in some aspects.

-The 7th street pilot was an attempt to not piss anyone off, and thus they built a bike lane to nowhere (until it's later connection to 8th Ave)

-I think 8th Ave was a mistake. If you didn't want a separated lane, then bikes shouldn't be allowed there. It seems dangerous for pedestrians and useless for cyclists during busy days

-5th street is awesome. That route was no fun in the winter before the lanes went in.

-12ave has the lanes jog too much. It's hard to tell where you should be driving on a snowy day in the car lanes. I think this wasn't in the original plans but was done to not piss off people who were upset about losing parking

-4th St SE needs real dividers in the underpass. No one respects the differently colored concrete pictures of bikes and pedestrians. I also hope it connects to the river eventually.

This were for the most part compromises in the initial designs in order to bend to the whim of ignorant stakeholders.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #224
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The bike tracks have done nothing but cause friction between cyclists. drivers and pedestrians. I don't know how many times I've heard pedestrians yelling at bikers to "get on the bike track". They flip on and off like it's their god damn right to go from sidewalk to bike track and then cut across a red light to the next sidewalk/road.

What a cluster Fk. There used to be some decent parking along 8th but now there is nothing. Just the city owned parkade (convenient) a block up from 8th and they've also closed the parking lot/bike lane behind city tv so pedestrians and cyclists end up in a cluster Fk through the sidewalk.

But hey at least they seem to be clearing the snow on them faster then the road.
All the "decent" parking you mentioned was city owned parking (convenient)
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #225
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A challenger has appeared!

Greg Miller has announced that he will run for the Ward Four seat in the next municipal election in 2017.

https://www.facebook.com/Greg-Miller...9816659134513/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #226
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well OK, but what are his stance on bike lanes?

Nevermind, anything is better than Chu.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #227
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chu-ie and Nenshi get a little snippy at what should have been a pretty mundane committee meeting

Quote:
Chu: “I cannot help myself about the latest thing in Boston. Right away, the one word that popped into my mind is liability. There’s rumours flying everywhere about Uber is going do something.”

Nenshi: “You have to stop now. You have to stop now. You’re being inappropriate. You’re being inappropriate, and you have to stop.”

Chu: “I’m just asking the question.”

Nenshi: “You have to stop. You can’t talk about ongoing legal action in this forum. And by the way, there isn’t any…”

Chu: “The rumour…”

Nenshi: “Councillor Chu. As a councillor, you do not comment on rumours in a public forum.”

Chu: “You do that all the time.”

Nenshi: “Well, you shouldn’t. I know you do…”

Chu: “I have the floor. Thank you. Thank you very much chair. Are you done?”

Nenshi: “I am, but I will cut off your mic if you continue.”

Chu: “OK. Thank you. You know what? You should calm down a little bit.”

Nenshi: “Councillor Chu. I’m entirely calm. Please don’t ask me to call you to order.”

Chu: “You’re shaking.”

Nenshi: “Councillor Chu.”

Chu: “Yes?”

Nenshi: “Thank you very much for your medical advice. We’re moving on now to the next speaker.”

Chu: “I haven’t finished here.”

Nenshi: “I’m sorry. Councillor Pootmans please.”

Chu: “I haven’t finished…”

Nenshi: “I cut off your mic, I’m sorry.”

Chu: “I have the floor.”

Nenshi: “As the chair I have the right to call any member to order, and I’ve just done so. So, Councillor Pootmans please.”

Chu: “I challenge the chair.”

Nenshi: “Feel free. All in favour of the challenge?”

Only Chu voted in favour of his challenge, and the meeting continued without further incident.
There's a time and a place Choo-choo... time and a place... Work in a bike lane diatribe and some "think of the taaaaaxpayer" comments and you'll hit the Holy Trinity there sport.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...n-uber-lawsuit

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-31-2016 at 05:36 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #228
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. What children. I'm no Nenshi fan but at least when he shuts his mouth he's good at his job. Chu is just awful
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #229
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Chu-ie and Nenshi get a little snippy at what should have been a pretty mundane committee meeting

There's a time and a place Choo-choo... time and a place... Work in a bike lane diatribe and some "think of the taaaaaxpayer" comments and you'll hit the Holy Trinity there sport.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...n-uber-lawsuit
My favourite part was:

Quote:
Nenshi: “Councillor Chu. As a councillor, you do not comment on rumours in a public forum.”

Chu: “You do that all the time.”
Ugh. Ward 4, you all suck.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #230
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that no one but Chu backed his challenge to the chair.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #231
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Chu's biggest problem is he seems to have no inside voice, and says what he thinks. That being said, there is room for him on this council. He is a good foil for Nenshi, who tends to run over everyone who doesn't adopt his way of thinking.

I actually don't mind in many ways how Nenshi is handling things, though, his biggest problem is he's presiding over the largest expansion of municipal government in Alberta ever, and seems to be pushing even harder for more (see: City Charter).

While Chu sometimes comes across as a dummy, he also appears to be very honest, and in some ways I prefer him to my own ward's councilor, Pootmans. I really hope he finds a job in the private sector so we do not have him as our councillor next term.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #232
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Chu's biggest problem is he seems to have no inside voice, and says what he thinks. That being said, there is room for him on this council. He is a good foil for Nenshi, who tends to run over everyone who doesn't adopt his way of thinking.
A good foil for Nenshi would be someone halfway intelligent, that's not Sean Chu.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #233
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nice troll job by Chu, he may not be the best councillor, but at least he keeps things entertaining.

I'd rather have him as a councillor then Pincott, who just automatically agrees with every single thing Nenshi says.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #234
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

You guys have to listen to his call-in on 770 this morning . . . He gets called on his BS.

http://www.newstalk770.com/kingkade-and-breakenridge/

Just listen to his clip on the Kingkade and Breakenridge show this morning, you can play the audio clip from the media player.

How anyone can think this guy is good for council is beyond me.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #235
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
How anyone can think this guy is good for council is beyond me.
Who's good for Council though? I would argue that Nenshi is much worse for Council than Chu, and I'd be the first to agree that Chu is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, to say the least. I don't believe he has any grasp of the policy understanding. Chu is essentially a Rick McIver on sedatives. But Chu's negative impact is less than Nenshi's, I think. At least he worries about taxpayers' money (in his own way).

Council's primary objectives and mandate are to approve prudent municipal policies, approve municipal budgets/capital expenditure plans and to hire a competent City Manager (to manage the Administration). That's it! A good mayor would lead the Council into doing these three things (or two, really, how often do they hire a City Manager?) efficiently and in the best interests of the electorate. Instead, look at how much time is wasted at each Council's meeting to argue over petty personal agenda and personality conflicts between councillors and the Mayor. This recent incident is just another, albeit entertaining, example of the circus observed in the past few years...
Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #236
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
770 - "Where did you hear the rumor?"
Chu - "In the public and in the events."
What a Country Bumpkin, the guy is such a simpleton.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #237
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Who's good for Council though? I would argue that Nenshi is much worse for Council than Chu, and I'd be the first to agree that Chu is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, to say the least. I don't believe he has any grasp of the policy understanding. Chu is essentially a Rick McIver on sedatives. But Chu's negative impact is less than Nenshi's, I think. At least he worries about taxpayers' money (in his own way).
Sorry, but I don't believe that being "minimally sufficient because conservative values" meets the threshold of success we should hold our councillors to.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #238
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

Council's primary objectives and mandate are to approve prudent municipal policies, approve municipal budgets/capital expenditure plans and to hire a competent City Manager (to manage the Administration). That's it! A good mayor would lead the Council into doing these three things (or two, really, how often do they hire a City Manager?) efficiently and in the best interests of the electorate. Instead, look at how much time is wasted at each Council's meeting to argue over petty personal agenda and personality conflicts between councillors and the Mayor. This recent incident is just another, albeit entertaining, example of the circus observed in the past few years...

Hah, this is the most anti-nenshi partisan ####ing nonsense I've ever read in my life.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #239
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I don't get it...you don't want them to get into the petty personal agenda stuff, yet Chu is leading it, but Nenshi is the problem?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #240
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Chu is JAQ-ing off in chambers. Just asking questions everyone. Just asking questions.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote