Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #881
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Would you say it's appropriate for children? I read there are a couple frightening scenes, and it is PG 13. My son's level of mature movies he's seen has been Black Panther and Interstellar.

I can't find any reviews online if it would be appropriate.
One for certain is right in the grotesque category. 2 others can be hit or miss depending on your childssensitivity.

Like i said, the movie is attempting to emulate 2001 and Apocalypse now, so there are horror undertones throughout the whole thing. And that underlying tone bubbles up in a big way for one scene for sure.

Theres noting in either BP or interstellar that really pushes that pg13 rating like in Ad Astra.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #882
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ad Astra nailed the atmosphere it set out to establish.

Felt like an alternate reality of earth and the solar system that didn't try to explain itself but just immersed you right in it along with Pitt's character as he went from location to location, which is the best way to discover any kind of universe. Really curiosity-evoking approach.

The acting was top notch as well.

But like another poster said, too little screen time devoted to the part you really wanted them to sink their teeth into. And parts where you have to suspend quite a bit of belief as it pertains to space travel, physics, distances, etc. As well as unnecessary monologues where you didn't need things to be explained out loud to be understood.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #883
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Downton Abbey movie is like a really nice long and light episode of the show. Not great, but the way it's written forced non-stop smiles from me and my wife the entire time. It's a bit of fan service, but it's a nice cap on the show.

7/10
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #884
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I just watched Kubo and the Two Strings. One of the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #885
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I just watched Kubo and the Two Strings. One of the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen.
Doesn't get nearly enough credit or exposure!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #886
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Doesn't get nearly enough credit or exposure!
I can’t believe I missed this movie. After 1 viewing it solidified top 5 status for me.

I didn’t blink or close my jaw until the credits rolled.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #887
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The Downton Abbey movie is like a really nice long and light episode of the show. Not great, but the way it's written forced non-stop smiles from me and my wife the entire time. It's a bit of fan service, but it's a nice cap on the show.

7/10
Downton Abbey. Six Seasons.....and a movie.

I hope Joel McHale and Danny Pudi are in it!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #888
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Laika hasn't done a bad movie yet in my view, but Kubo is definitely their masterpiece.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #889
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Got around to watching Godzilla King of Monsters.

What a humungous waste of time. The writing was so atrocious that I hated every single human character. Also is it just me or is Eleven terrible at acting? Or was it just the script?? God it made me so mad, I wanted them all to die.

Cool monsters though I guess.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 04:53 AM   #890
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Got around to watching Godzilla King of Monsters.

What a humungous waste of time. The writing was so atrocious that I hated every single human character. Also is it just me or is Eleven terrible at acting? Or was it just the script?? God it made me so mad, I wanted them all to die.

Cool monsters though I guess.
I'd like to add that what kind of a dumbass writer does NOT feed any notable characters to the monsters in a movie like this? Do they even realize this is essentially a subgenre of horror?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #891
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Creed 2. Bah. What was the point of that but for nostalgia?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #892
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yea, this is in my Top 5 movies of all time. I loved it so much. My son really enjoyed it, although the sisters really freaked him out, understandably so.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #893
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Kubo but thought McConaughey was horribly cast. Being reminded of Dazed and Confused every time his character spoke really took me out of the film.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #894
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I thought Ad Astra was an excellent movie. 9/10. My deductions are minor - the astronaut cast adrift on a spacewalk is fairly cliche - done before in 2001, Gravity, Mission To Mars. I didn't know how the anti-gravity energy was such a threat, or how a world economy could afford to build such a big infrastructure in the solar system. The music did not make much of an impact (compare that to 2001).

Most of the movie was very original, with things I have never seen in a SF movie: the space elevator, a car chase on the moon, and I was surprised by the reveal on the biological research ship. Visually, the movie was amazing, worth the ticket price alone. I assume there was a good deal of CGI, but it was hard to notice. Pitt trying to send a signal to his father, then to be coldly dismissed was well done.

Certainly there were nods to Apocalypse Now (the father as Kurtz) and 2001 (the flight to the moon). The movie needed to be focused on Pitt, because it was all about solitude. So many of the people he tried to help died anyway, and the World will probably never know about the success of his secret mission. I was surprised by what Project Lima did not discover, and not until Pitt looked back at the distant sun did he understand that we may only have each other, and that is okay. Ad Astra is latin for "to the stars". The sun is a star. Pitt seems like a machine bound to follow his program, but like HAL 900, he learns what it means to be human.

Last edited by troutman; 09-25-2019 at 11:10 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #895
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Wow troutman, I thought it looked cheeseball in the ads and trailers. Maybe I'll give it a shot after all. Sounds interesting.

Also, how high were you at the time? Lol
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #896
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I thought Ad Astra was an excellent movie. 9/10. My deductions are minor - the astronaut cast adrift on a spacewalk is fairly cliche - done before in 2001, Gravity, Mission To Mars. I didn't know how the anti-gravity energy was such a threat, or how a world economy could afford to build such a big infrastructure in the solar system. The music did not make much of an impact (compare that to 2001).

Most of the movie was very original, with things I have never seen in a SF movie: the space elevator, a car chase on the moon, and I was surprised by the reveal on the biological research ship. Visually, the movie was amazing, worth the ticket price alone. I assume there was a good deal of CGI, but it was hard to notice. Pitt trying to send a signal to his father, then to be coldly dismissed was well done.

Certainly there were nods to Apocalypse Now (the father as Kurtz) and 2001 (the flight to the moon). The movie needed to be focused on Pitt, because it was all about solitude. So many of the people he tried to help died anyway, and the World will probably never know about the success of his secret mission. I was surprised by what Project Lima did not discover, and not until Pitt looked back at the distant sun did he understand that we may only have each other, and that is okay. Ad Astra is latin for "to the stars". The sun is a star. Pitt seems like a machine bound to follow his program, but like HAL 900, he learns what it means to be human.
Good breakdown. I was hesitant to go this deep for the spoilers but yep, you got it. I want to watch it again as I feel there's some really nice nuances missed in the first watch. It is a good movie. I just left wanting a little bit more at the end.

I did however love the perspective shift at the end as well. "He thought he failed, he didnt he discovered a universe full of beauty"

Last edited by dammage79; 09-25-2019 at 05:45 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #897
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I loved Kubo but thought McConaughey was horribly cast. Being reminded of Dazed and Confused every time his character spoke really took me out of the film.

I found the opposite, myself.

I really enjoyed McConaughey. I thought Theron, on the other hand, was extremely bland.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #898
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Ad Astra was a little disappointing. Seemed like it was a slow burn to something, but that something just never came IMO.

Visually well done and some unique ideas. Just thought it had wasted potential. 6/10
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #899
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty late on this one but I watched Sorry To Bother You the other night and absolutely loved it. It feels like it takes place in the near future after Office Space, and somewhere in the distant past of Idiocracy.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #900
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Pretty late on this one but I watched Sorry To Bother You the other night and absolutely loved it. It feels like it takes place in the near future after Office Space, and somewhere in the distant past of Idiocracy.
I haven't been blown away by a movie like that since probably Pulp Fiction and the Matrix. So good while breaking so many rules of how films should work.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote