Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #4801
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I’m a big Nintendo fan so some slight bias, but as someone who wasn’t too hot on the Wii product line, Switch is a return to form and maybe their best device ever. Just a really cool, slick device with the portability, multiplayer, and controller options. And there’s lots and lots of great games — I would add Smash Bros. Ultimate as the third headliner with Odyssey and BotW. Mario Kart 8 is the best in the series, and I can presume you missed it on Wii U so that’s a must play too.

Lots of momentum going in to the fall with games across a wide variety of interests. Mario Maker and Fire Emblem just came out to solid reviews. Astral Chain, Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Luigi’s Mansion 3, And Pokemon are the big hitters for the rest of the year. Lots of continued third party and indie support. Some big announced games for 2020 and beyond are Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4, And Bayonetta 3 (with many many more to come). There’s always a chance for Star Fox... it hasn’t seen much critical or commercial success in the last 20 years but they keep taking a whack at t every few years.

It’s my favorite system right now and might end up my favorite Nintendo system ever.
Great post! That's what I was afraid of, that the Switch was just another gimmicky console Nintendo rolled out and with the Wii and the Wii U, it felt it was trending that way

You've talked me into getting the system and I've bought Breath of the wild last night. I've never been a fan of fighting games so Smash Brothers isnt something im interested in

Here's hoping that we'll see a Star Fox sequel
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #4802
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great, I don’t think you’ll regret it! Breath of the Wild is an amazing game and really incredible when you consider it’s portable too.

I’d still recommend maybe borrowing Smash from a friend to try some time - I actually hate every other fighting game, but something about it just clicks and keeps me coming back. Less worrying about combos and button presses, more fun and freedom of movement. Worth a try sometime!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #4803
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Smash Ultimate is fun, but I can tell that it's going to be my least played Smash game by far. I think I've gotten tired of the series or something. The urge to go back and play more isn't too strong, and my friends aren't into the multiplayer battles as much at this point either.

Thankfully there are so many great games to play on the Switch that it's a minor issue.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #4804
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Smash Ultimate is fun, but I can tell that it's going to be my least played Smash game by far. I think I've gotten tired of the series or something. The urge to go back and play more isn't too strong, and my friends aren't into the multiplayer battles as much at this point either.

Thankfully there are so many great games to play on the Switch that it's a minor issue.
That was Smash 4 for me, barely played at all. Ultimate has been a comeback to the series for me. I’m getting a ton of mileage out of the online and love the DLC characters they’re doing.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #4805
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only issue I have with the Switch is the Joycon Drift issue. Kinda pisses me off that I am likely going to have to purchase 2 new joycons @ $90 because the old ones can't stay straight anymore.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #4806
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Only issue I have with the Switch is the Joycon Drift issue. Kinda pisses me off that I am likely going to have to purchase 2 new joycons @ $90 because the old ones can't stay straight anymore.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/2...ut-of-warranty
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #4807
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
THANK YOU for this - will be great to get it repaired
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote