Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #41
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder how the refs in the NYR-WSH game feel about the non-suspension on Tom Wilson. It's certainly made them extra diligent tonight with 6 fights and as they just kicked Chara out for chirping Smith.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #42
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milan Lucic, future dops! Book it
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Why is hockey the only sport where they won’t call infractions that are seen?

I know you’re obsessed with the oilers, but it has nothing to do with them.
Hockey would be stupid if they called every little thing...it would be a totally different game. The physicality is what makes it great.

This incident had nothing to do with not calling penalties, penalties were called. League needs to suspend players who continue to fight someone on the ground or someone who is not fighting back.

If you think things are getting worse you must have just started watching hockey this season...this would be a normal Wednesday night in the 80s.

Also, they don't call the book in basketball are you kidding me! Lebron can travel whenever he wants as long as he is dunking on some fool.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-05-2021 at 07:37 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #44
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Precedence has been set...

5K in fines for everybody !!!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Hockey would be stupid if they called every little thing...it would be a totally different game. The physicality is what makes it great.

This incident had nothing to do with not calling penalties, penalties were called. League needs to suspend players who continue to fight someone on the ground or someone who is not fighting back.

If you think things are getting worse you must have just started watching hockey this season...this would be a normal Wednesday night in the 80s.

Also, they don't call the book in basketball are you kidding me! Lebron can travel whenever he wants as long as he is dunking on some fool.
80’s hockey was terrible and the league wouldn’t exist if it was how the league was now. Any comparison is stupid.

You must have been happy that St. Louis was able to mug their way to a Stanley cup eh? Play a game that is totally opposite of the actual rules. And then wonder why no one watches the finals.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
80’s hockey was terrible and the league wouldn’t exist if it was how the league was now. Any comparison is stupid.

You must have been happy that St. Louis was able to mug their way to a Stanley cup eh? Play a game that is totally opposite of the actual rules. And then wonder why no one watches the finals.
I would rather watch the Blues win a hard fought cup than a PP battle
Old 05-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #47
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would rather watch the Blues win a hard fought cup than a PP battle
“Hard fought” you mean bad players break the rules to win right?

Guys would learn and play within the rules... like literally every other professional sport in the world.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #48
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or, now hear me out, players would just stop with stupid stickwork if it were actually called.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #49
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It wouldn't be a PP battle, players would just not take penalties.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #50
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Hard fought” you mean bad players break the rules to win right?

Guys would learn and play within the rules... like literally every other professional sport in the world.
Again go watch some other sports...there is holding on every down in the NFL and travelling on nearly every possession in the NBA

Guys would learn to dive IMO

Call the egregious ones and make it an automatic suspension for hitting a guy while he is down problem solved.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:52 PM   #51
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again go watch some other sports...there is holding on every down in the NFL and travelling on nearly every possession in the NBA

Guys would learn to dive IMO

Call the egregious ones and make it an automatic suspension for hitting a guy while he is down problem solved.
Yah your right. What the nba and nfl have done haven’t grown the product at all. There is a hold every down. So they call nothing. There is travelling. So they call nothing. They let the players police the game and the average skilled teams win in the playoffs.

Oh? That’s just the NHL.

Call the egregious? Why have a rulebook? Lol

This stuff is going to get worse because there will continue to be guys taking advantage of players with no repercussions. How many suspensions happen in the nhl and the officials don’t call a penalty?

Last edited by Weitz; 05-05-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It wouldn't be a PP battle, players would just not take penalties.
That’s what they say every time they crack down and it doesn’t happen. The players outlast the officials every time. They rightly think “they can’t call everything”. Because they can’t. Just like they can’t call every foul in basketball or football because there’s one almost every play.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #53
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That’s what they say every time they crack down and it doesn’t happen. The players outlast the officials every time. They rightly think “they can’t call everything”. Because they can’t. Just like they can’t call every foul in basketball or football because there’s one almost every play.
Do you even watch other sports?

The NHL is a joke when it comes to rule enforcement.

But hey. They didn’t call 22 penalty’s in the Super Bowl. Only 21. So we should just continue to game manage and allow plugs to win for reasons unknown.

The only thing you’re right about is the players outlast the officials because the league and teams want it that way. If they wanted it a different way then they would win but they don’t.

The irony is, the flames team as built can never win in the playoffs. They wouldn’t survive the mugging after round 1 or possibly 2.

Last edited by Weitz; 05-05-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:10 PM   #54
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you even watch other sports?

The NHL is a joke when it comes to rule enforcement.

But hey. They didn’t call 22 penalty’s in the Super Bowl. Only 21. So we should just continue to game manage and allow plugs to win for reasons unknown.
do you? there is holding on every play in the NFL...how many plays were there in the super bowl. Lebron travels every game.

If your evidence is that leagues having better ratings IDK what to say...every kid in the US can walk outside and play BBall, hockey is never going to be at that level even if they play all star game rules (I actually think less people would like it)

Last edited by dino7c; 05-05-2021 at 11:12 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 11:12 PM   #55
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Fire Tocchet
Jordan! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:15 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
do you? there is holding on every play in the NFL...how many plays were there in the super bowl. Lebron travels every game.

If your evidence is that leagues having better ratings IDK what to say...every kid in the US can walk outside and play BBall, hockey is never going to be at that level even if they play all star game rules (I actually think less people would like it)
So your solution is to not call anything? Is nothing called in the super bowl? Was there not a pass interference in the end zone called recently in a super bowl?

I honestly can’t understand why hockey fans thing the game is better when you allow bad players to cheat and slow down the stars. It’s mind boggling to me.

You have refs watching plays and stars like Gaudreau getting totally mugged and yelling to play on. It’s madness.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #57
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Stars have fallen and could be eliminated from the playoff race next game. Tampa Bay beat them 6-2.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #58
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
So your solution is to not call anything? Is nothing called in the super bowl? Was there not a pass interference in the end zone called recently in a super bowl?

I honestly can’t understand why hockey fans thing the game is better when you allow bad players to cheat and slow down the stars. It’s mind boggling to me.

You have refs watching plays and stars like Gaudreau getting totally mugged and yelling to play on. It’s madness.
I watched a game where Johnny got slashed in the hands 20 times.

If they called the first one like they should have do the next 19 happen to him?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I watched a game where Johnny got slashed in the hands 20 times.

If they called the first one like they should have do the next 19 happen to him?
Yes. Because they know they won’t call them all. Especially later in the season.

And it happens in other contact sports too - basketball, football, lacrosse and even rugby. Is hockey worse? Maybe. But I can’t say that for sure.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #60
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
Don Cherry must be excited with the fight night festival in New York.
I wonder if he'll do another rock em sock em video?