Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon46 Jake Virtanen on leave from the Canucks after sexual misconduct allegation

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/b...gation-3683377

Quote:
Allegations of sexual misconduct have surfaced online against an NHL player.

The woman has spoken exclusively to Glacier Media and has identified the individual as Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen, 24.

“I couldn’t believe that I said no and he didn’t take that for an answer,” she says. “I felt violated and gross and wanted to leave.”

Glacier Media has agreed not to identify her due to her fear of public backlash. For the purpose of this story, we will refer to her as ‘Emily’.

Although Emily has contacted the police, there are no charges and none of these allegations have been proven in court.

In an email statement on Friday evening, the Vancouver Canucks say the player has been placed on leave.

“We have become aware of the concerning allegations made about one of our players. Our organization does not accept sexual misconduct of any kind and the claims as reported are being treated very seriously by us,” says a Canucks spokesperson. “We have engaged external expertise to assist in an independent investigation and we have placed the player on leave as we await more information.”

The alleged incident took place in September 2017.

The two agreed to meet, Virtanen allegedly picked her up and drove her to a Vancouver hotel where the alleged sexual misconduct occurred.

Emily spoke out after seeing other women come forward with their own experiences on an anonymous Instagram account.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-01-2021 at 11:40 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Virtanen has always seemed like an entitled idiot, but obviously not going to assume anything one way or another.

Who the heck is Glacier Media, though? Do they own any of the local papers?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always seemed like a psycho!
Old 05-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
From wikipedia

Quote:
Glacier owns community newspapers and websites in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.[4] Glacier purchased its largest newspaper, the Times Colonist of Victoria, British Columbia, in an $86.5 million deal in 2011.[3] The deal included other newspapers formerly held by Postmedia Network.[29] Other daily newspapers include Alaska Highway News. Weekly newspapers include: North Shore News, Delta Optimist, Burnaby Now, Richmond News, The Prince George Citizen.[29] New Westminster Record,[30] Coast Reporter, The Squamish Chief and Weyburn Review.

In April 2019, Glacier announced its intent to acquire Castanet Media, owner of the Kelowna-based online publication Castanet. The purchase also includes its co-owned radio station CKOO-FM, subject to CRTC approval.[31][32]
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Virtanen has always seemed like an entitled idiot, but obviously not going to assume anything one way or another.

Quote:
Glacier owns community newspapers and websites in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.[4] Glacier purchased its largest newspaper, the Times Colonist of Victoria, British Columbia, in an $86.5 million deal in 2011.[3] The deal included other newspapers formerly held by Postmedia Network.[29] Other daily newspapers include Alaska Highway News. Weekly newspapers include: North Shore News, Delta Optimist, Burnaby Now, Richmond News, The Prince George Citizen.[29] New Westminster Record,[30] Coast Reporter, The Squamish Chief and Weyburn Review.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacier_Media
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to high school with him. Not shocked at all. I have stories that I don’t want to post because the forum might get in trouble, but he’s an absolute scum bag and he has been for a very long time.

Gross person and I’m glad he’s been exposed. Never liked him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Virtanen is going to get cancelled soon
Old 05-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

He's always had that "Ebby" Laloosh vibe about him where he has million dollar talent and a 5 cent head. Some how or another he seemed intent on getting pennies on the dollar for his hockey talent.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Went to high school with him. Not shocked at all. I have stories that I don’t want to post because the forum might get in trouble, but he’s an absolute scum bag and he has been for a very long time.

Gross person and I’m glad he’s been exposed. Never liked him.
You're not alone. A female friend several years ago told me about an incident with him (and we'll leave it at that).

Virtanen did not have a good reputation while he was here playing for the Hitmen. I hoped he had matured but it sounds like the behavior may have only escalated.

I will try my best to give him some benefit of doubt but his alleged victim(s) should also be listened to respectfully.

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 05-01-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
Setting aside Virtanen specifically. I don’t think losing your job because of sexual misconduct is “cancelling”.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Virtanen won't be the only NHL player singled out -- expect more.

Puck Bunny culture has been around, well, as long as there's been professional sports. The NHL either answers with strong measures or the unfortunate consequence might be clubs becoming reticent regarding hiring young women in office positions.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, a friend played in the CFL and retired, in part because of all of the women who threw themselves at him and other players. That’s the CFL; I can only imagine what it’s like in the NHL.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:15 PM   #13
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what puck bunnies or women voluntary throwing themselves at professional athletes has to do with alleged sexual misconduct and not taking "no" for an answer.

There is nothing wrong with hockey players having sex with a lot of women, as long as it's consensual.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #14
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
There is nothing wrong with hockey players having sex with a lot of women, as long as it's consensual.
What's wrong with it is that a few of those players are hugely self-centred and not too bright, and they may come to expect ‘yes’ as the default answer – to the point where they think ‘no’ is a joke.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #15
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm not sure what puck bunnies or women voluntary throwing themselves at professional athletes has to do with alleged sexual misconduct and not taking "no" for an answer.

I didn't make the puck bunny comment, but it's long been a non-discussed problem in Canada that hockey players, especially in junior where they are the "stars" have had issues with sexual situations with young women, and that many of those young women are disbelieved or discredited because they are looked up as "puck bunnies."
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #16
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some incredibly heinous takes in this thread already.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #17
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Setting aside Virtanen specifically. I don’t think losing your job because of sexual misconduct is “cancelling”.
It is if the allegations are simply that and he is not guilty of any charges, nevermind if charges are not even laid. Theres a very good chance Virtanen does not get another NHL contract because of optics.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #18
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
What's wrong with it is that a few of those players are hugely self-centred and not too bright, and they may come to expect ‘yes’ as the default answer – to the point where they think ‘no’ is a joke.
That’s on those players, not their victims.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #19
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's exactly it. The Culture. It's not on the women employed within the industry to accept it.

Being sexually harassed (or worse) by co-workers isn't a part of the job description.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 05-01-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #20
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post

The #### is this?

If things went down as this woman has stated, what Virtanen did was rape. He's not getting 'cancelled'. This isn't some joke. He forced himself on someone who made it clear that they weren't into it. This is a crime.

Obviously, he is innocent until proven guilty but this #### isn't some internet meme. It should be taken more seriously than a glib drive by.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote