Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #41
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hartley is well known as having bigger issues than just “hurting feelings”.

If he was a great coach he’d have had more than one NHL job since getting turned in Atlanta in 2007. Atlanta bought the “he won a cup” argument and he went nowhere. Then he went without a job for 3 years (compared to other guys who get jobs right away after being fired, if they want one). And he only got his Calgary job because of Feaster. And since 2016 he hasn’t had a real sniff at an NHL job (even the Montreal rumour was just BGL saying Bergeron visited him while scouting players in Russia). They don’t want him.
Who cares though? He just won a championship, was fun to have as a coach, gave us a fun year so... good for him.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Who cares though? He just won a championship, was fun to have as a coach, gave us a fun year so... good for him.
Yes, good for him. Like I said, I was only commenting on a comment that suggested this somehow meant something about him being let go. It doesn’t.

However, “fun to have as a coach”? No. He was two-faced.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:26 PM   #43
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, good for him. Like I said, I was only commenting on a comment that suggested this somehow meant something about him being let go. It doesn’t.

Two Faced or not- The only Atlanta Thrasher coach to make the playoffs & the only Flames coach to win a round in 15 years.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #44
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So two-faced Ilya Kovalchuk decided to reunite with him help him win the Gagarin Cup

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
So two-faced Ilya Kovalchuk decided to reunite with him help him win the Gagarin Cup
Whatever. I hear plenty of player love Mike Babcock too. Just ask him.

I know this - there would be no contract issues with Gaudreau if he’d have stuck around.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know this - there would be no contract issues with Gaudreau if he’d have stuck around.
You do not know that.

And we had contract issues with Gaudreau well past Hartley's firing.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do not know that.

And we had contract issues with Gaudreau well past Hartley's firing.
I do know that.

The contract issues that Treliving had were money and term. That wasn’t going to be the issue in the alternative.

ETA:

Hartley is the only coach I know of ever to be included in a NTC.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #48
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do know that.

The contract issues that Treliving had were money and term. That wasn’t going to be the issue in the alternative.
Support your claim with evidence. Because even if you purport to have a source, I highly doubt the credibility of their knowledge unless their name is Brad Treliving, Brad Pascall, Craig Conroy, Brian Burke, Lewis Gross, or John Gaudreau.

To say you KNOW this as a fact, your source pretty much has to be one of these people.

Quote:
ETA:

Hartley is the only coach I know of ever to be included in a NTC.
Yeah.

Some players didn't like him. Especially the useless ones of the McGrattan ilk.

And other players loved him.

Just like every coach ever.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-28-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #49
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Haha, Johnny was going to get it written in to his contract that he didn’t have to be a voluntary guest counsellor at Bob’s hockey camp?

Lol. #### off with this stuff
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #50
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, you’re right, there’s another thread for people Treliving let go finding success elsewhere haha
Maybe the Flames should hire back Terry Crisp. He won a cup here.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #51
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, Johnny was going to get it written in to his contract that he didn’t have to be a voluntary guest counsellor at Bob’s hockey camp?

Lol. #### off with this stuff
Legit... if something this makes Hartley Two-Faced, what does it make Gaudreau? Harvey Dent?

How unreasonable does this player sound:

"I, the player people weren't even sure would make the NHL, refuse to entertain contract talks as a restricted free agent until you fire the guy who played me big minutes in every situation and on the top powerplay for the last year to the point of a point-per-game production in my contract year"

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-28-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I don't get it.

People are so adamant that Hartley is a crap coach... but he wins championships in every league he coaches in. What gives?

As for his personality as a coach, yeah, he probably should have worked on that a bit and rounded some of his corners a bit. However, Gaudreau? The young guys liked him, including Gaudreau who went to his camp. Some of the vets - especially the ones near the end of their careers who felt that they should be playing more - disliked him the most. Yeah, he was probably way too abrasive at times, which is why he needs to learn to soften a bit. If he does, that's a perfect coach IMO.

People like to say that the Flames were 'unsustainable' - but for about 2 season's worth, they were very sustainable, even though they had a crap roster. Those underlying metrics really pointed at them being a crap team more than a crap system. I would have loved to see what Hartley could do with the Flames over the last 2-3 years. I bet you Bennett would have thrived. This team would have been hard working since even his practices were high-tempo at full game speed, and he preached (and demanded) that guys get in tip-top shape in the off-season.

Hartley is a world-class coach who has now won a championship in every league he has ever coached in. I wonder where he will go next once he is done with Omsk.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 04:30 PM   #53
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I wonder if it’s another denial thing.

As lousy as this team can do, almost everybody that leaves is vehemently justified

There might be a lot of bad breaker-uppers on CP lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #54
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gio4pm comes into this thread cause he hates Hartley so much that one comment triggers him. Who cares Hartley at the end of the day is a successful hockey coach and nobody can take that away from him.

Good for Hartley though.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

My source does not want to be named. But I have one. And Johnny volunteering for a week long gig means little. I know what I know. You want not say I’m lying, fine.

Hartley will never coach in the NHL again. Good for him for finding someplace to do it.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Johnny volunteering for a week long gig means little.
It means he's a two-faced jerk, getting a guy fired and then showing up to his event like nothing happened.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
It means he's a two-faced jerk, getting a guy fired and then showing up to his event like nothing happened.
Ooh, don’t forget that it means Treliving handed his two year players the keys on personnel decisions, and threw the prospect of ever having a culture of accountability into the dumpster
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #58
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ooh, don’t forget that it means Treliving handed his two year players the keys on personnel decisions, and threw the prospect of ever having a culture of accountability into the dumpster
Yeah, that would be a huge red flag and any GM worth a damn would be looking to move the player while his value was at its peak.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe he felt badly that Bob was out of work and threw him a bone, I dunno. Anyway, Gaudreau didn’t “get Hartley fired”. He (and a bunch of other players) definitely gave an opinion to Treliving on exit interviews. But I also know what Gaudreau’s view of his contract would have been if he had been looking at multiple years of Bob. Like I said, the only coach named in no trade clauses. There’s a reason.

Anyway, good for Bob for winning in Omsk. I’m not going further with what I’ve learned.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, we’ve been through that. It doesn’t mean that at all.