Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2024, 02:09 PM   #2961
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Cats hate it when you forget their umlauts.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 02:11 PM   #2962
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's why we just went with Oskar. Also, because it was the name of the blender.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 02:27 PM   #2963
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Something about the feel, placement, and precision of the keys on Android keyboards drives me nuts. I make more mistakes on Android keyboards than I do on my iPhone keyboard. It isn't some objective thing, I just personally prefer the keyboard on iOS.

Also, Apple has had long-press options for a long time now, it's how I type my cat's name (Oskär).
For punctuation? That is what I like. Don't mind the odd characters that are rarely accessed for me anyways being on separate keyboards. But having to hit multiple buttons multiple times to get a % or # or " drives me nuts. Maybe I am missing a setting but I don't think so.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 03:00 PM   #2964
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The lack of number row (which I've fixed with swift key)and not being able to long press is so infuriating.

Notifications... iOS is so far behind. It's actually a shocking change.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:14 PM   #2965
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is awesome.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/24...ipad-mini-dock
Old 03-26-2024, 03:59 PM   #2966
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
^
My sister is an android user and at Christmas we setup her Apple TV by just clicking the setup manually button and it took 3 minutes. Maybe there was some further issue with your Apple ID.
My options were literally "Update with iPhone" or "Not Now" so I'm not sure how I was supposed to do anything differently. Unlocking the account wasn't hard - I have to do it nearly every time I purchase something on iTunes for Windows (a whole other gripe I have with Apple...) It's just brutal that there isn't a simple QR code showing on the screen at that point. The apple ID unlocking process is done via any web browser so it's not an iPhone thing. They just make it intentionally difficult if you're not in their ecosystem.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:23 PM   #2967
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've got a early 2015 Macbook Air that I'm not ready to replace yet as it's still fully sufficient for what I use it for. However, the battery is in definitely need of replacement. I see that London Drugs is an authorized Apple repair location. Has anyone ever had a battery replacement done there? Do they use Apple OEM batteries? How was the pricing?

Alternatively, I have no problem going to the OWC or iFixIt route, but I've read that their battery longevity can be hit and miss. Any experiences on that end?

Last edited by woob; 04-04-2024 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Wrong model, typo.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:39 PM   #2968
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I've got a late 2015 Macbook Air that I'm not ready to replace yet as it's still fully sufficient for what I use it for. However, the battery is in definitely need of replacement. I see that London Drugs is an authorized Apple repair location. Has anyone ever had a battery replacement done there? Do they use Apple OEM batteries? How was the pricing?

Alternatively, I have no provlem going to the OWC or iFixIt route, but I've read that their battery longevity can be hit and miss. Any experiences on that end?
The 2015 Air design is pretty easy to DIY a battery replacement. Some of the newer laptop designs are kinda whacky, the 2015 MBA looks like it's still reasonable to do.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/40697

https://macnest.com/macbook-air/macb...2013-2014-2015

Why not do that yourself and learn then also upgrade the SSD to a faster one? Also, when you have it open, give it a good cleaning.

After you've done it yourself once, it's pretty straight forward and you might find yourself popping it open again to do quick cleans. Even if you end up with a bit of a miss of a battery, because you've saved more than the value of the battery by not paying someone to install for you, you can just buy another to try again.

Longer term, even if the OS starts to get really outdated and wonky, you can easily breathe new lift into it again by installing a lighter Linux distro that doesn't suffer from as serious incompatibilities from being locked down to an older OS to continue to keep it as a spare laptop. With that type of refresh, even at its age, I think it'd still blow Chromebooks out of the water for a full featured laptop, especially if it continues to have a few hours of battery life due to a battery upgrade.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 12:54 PM   #2969
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I used OWC parts on a 2015 MacBook Pro and had no issues. It was the boss' old laptop and I installed open core as well so it runs the latest OS. He gave it to his girlfriend and as far as I know it still runs just fine.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:50 PM   #2970
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just ordered the boss a new laptop....$9200! I will inherit his M1 Max laptop I guess.

Thats before taxes. With tax and apple care it is $10,400. Just insane.

Last edited by Galakanokis; 04-04-2024 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:21 PM   #2971
photon

Exp:

Yeah when you start maxing out all the options it gets completely unreasonable.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:49 PM   #2972
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No idea why Apple charges so much for storage. Also not sure why he needs an 8TB hardrive but it's not my money.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:50 PM   #2973
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes you just need to have an offline copy of the library of congress.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 06:54 PM   #2974
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Apple Watch Ultra 2 however is fantastic.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:22 AM   #2975
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
The Apple Watch Ultra 2 however is fantastic.
What do you like about it?

I had an Apple watch years ago and just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I just don’t like watches and will never like an Apple watch because of that, but I am tempted to try again by the ultra.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:28 AM   #2976
photon

Exp:

I do like the health stuff on the watch, but I assume those things could probably be had on a cheaper fitness focused thing.

Honestly my favourite thing about it is I no longer have to answer phantom notification vibrations. Half the time I'm checking for notifications that never happened, but almost 100% of the time when someone actually calls I miss it entirely.

Now that never happens. I guess until I develop phantom notifications on my wrist lol.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:25 AM   #2977
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What do you like about it?

I had an Apple watch years ago and just couldn’t get into it. Maybe I just don’t like watches and will never like an Apple watch because of that, but I am tempted to try again by the ultra.
First it does notifications really well, picks up where I've found the iPhone is lacking. The size is a plus as well, moving from the Pixel Phone/Watch combo the size is a huge upgrade, I don't think I could do a regular Apple watch either, it was Ultra Watch or bust, I'm 6'3 and a small watch just looks silly.

The battery life is great too, apparently still lower than industry standards but so far it gets me through 2+ days, which is better than the Pixel ever did. Also like you I've never been a watch guy, I have a couple nice ones for when I want to look nicer but I never liked how goofy some smart watches can look. I think the ultra 2 balances between casual and office attire nicely. Never going to look high end but I don't think it ever looks goofy at the office. The fitness/health tracking is superb so far as well.

Small thing too but being left handed I like how easy it was to flip orientation so I can actually use the buttons.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 12:01 PM   #2978
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I’m doing well if I can stretch my Watch battery to two days. It’s usually 36 hours. I get lots of email notifications. I’ll look into shutting email notifications off.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 02:35 PM   #2979
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there any idea how to find out my apple password. It’s working but need to wipe another phone and don’t want to change the password for all 500 of my devices in different locations around the world
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:57 AM   #2980
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you have some old Iphone 6/7 laying around, join the class action lawsuit! Might get a few bucks back

https://globalnews.ca/news/10414139/...nt-iphone-6-7/
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote