Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon20 Bruins trade Vatrano to Panthers for a 3rd round pick

https://twitter.com/user/status/966761167476621314

Vatrano had a couple of decent season with the Bruins after signing there as a college free agent. Had a tough season this year
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be making room for Sam Freaking Bennett
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm convinced Iginla is signing there now
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Must be making room for Sam Freaking Bennett
Debrusk + what will be a late 1st or no thanks.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Debrusk + what will be a late 1st or no thanks.
Hate to break it to you...we ain't getting a 1st and a roster player for Bennett.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Hate to break it to you...we ain't getting a 1st and a roster player for Bennett.
Then why trade him? The worst thing we could do is sell low on the highest overall pick in franchise history.

If Vatrano (2G in 25 games after an 18 point rookie season) nets a mid 3rd rounder Bennett should easily be able to fetch what I mentioned considering his pedigree, age and draft position. Boston is buying the player in a Bennett to Boston scenario and I sure as hell hope we aren't just giving him away for a 2nd round pick or middling prospect.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm convinced Iginla is signing there now
Yep seems like they are making room for Iggy.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

If this guy is worth a 3rd, surely Ferland is worth a 1st?
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Then why trade him? The worst thing we could do is sell low on the highest overall pick in franchise history.

If Vatrano (2G in 25 games after an 18 point rookie season) nets a mid 3rd rounder Bennett should easily be able to fetch what I mentioned considering his pedigree, age and draft position. Boston is buying the player in a Bennett to Boston scenario and I sure as hell hope we aren't just giving him away for a 2nd round pick or middling prospect.
Debrusk is ahead of Bennett right now. To ask for him and a 1st would be lunacy for Boston. A 1st maybe but not both.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Debrusk is ahead of Bennett right now. To ask for him and a 1st would be lunacy for Boston. A 1st maybe but not both.
lol ~ Debrusk is not ahead of Bennett right now. Based on what?

Sam Bennett has 220 GP in the league and has posted 25 to 35 points in 3 season in a row and has established himself as a 3rd liner all at the age of 21 so far.

Debrusk is also 21 years of age ~ only has 54 games played in this his rookie season and yes has a few more points than Bennett right now but I wouldn't say he is ahead of him by any stretch ~ he's actually further behind in his development honestly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sam Bennett has 220 GP in the league and has posted 25 to 35 points in 3 season in a row and has established himself as a 3rd liner all at the age of 21 so far.

Debrusk is also 21 years of age ~ only has 54 games played in this his rookie season and yes has a few more points than Bennett right now but I wouldn't say he is ahead of him by any stretch ~ he's actually further behind in his development honestly.
"Grass is greener" syndrome.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope it's for Iggy.

His last chance to compete for the prize right now likely lies in the generosity and faith of Bruins management. And I don't think he would be useless if they did take him on.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeesh...not fond of this deal. I think the Panthers have better odds at a good NHL player with the 3rd round pick. I don't see Vatrano lasting too much longer in the NHL.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #14
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
"Grass is greener" syndrome.
I'm sorry I'm not hitting the level of pessimistic disappointment that others are and are used to. I can't be disappointed though ~ people saying that if we trade for a scoring winger its further destroying the teams future need to realize that we have cupboards that are stocked very well on D and fairly well with forwards while we boast a more than solid core up front. We are honestly a few games with a good power play away from everyone on here calling us elite and I'm not ready to give up on a season because right now we are a couple points out of the playoff picture.

We've been in and out of the playoffs since early January because parity is real in the west this year and IMO the Flames are in a position not to rent a player but to deal from areas of strength to bolster areas of need.

This season isn't lost no matter how much some try to make it seem to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #15
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We've been in and out of the playoffs since early January because parity is real in the west this year and IMO the Flames are in a position not to rent a player but to deal from areas of strength to bolster areas of need.

This season isn't lost no matter how much some try to make it seem to be.
I'm with you. No assets should be spent on a rental, however if a hockey deal is there for an age appropriate player (mid-late? 20's) that fits our biggest hole organizationally (scoring winger), then yeah - you do it. You don't do it because it's the trade deadline, but you do it because it's what this team needs.

...and as you said, we're loaded with very strong defensive prospects, and the market shows they hold a lot of value. Could be a fun trade ahead.

What pisses me off more than anything this year is the use of Troy Brouwer - specifically on the PP. Dougie Hamilton should have been on the 1st PP unit from day 1 - yet didn't get there until February. That's not cool.

On the Bruins front - I really hope this trade is a step towards the Bruins signing Iggy. If that happens, I'll instantly be heavily invested in the Eastern Conference playoffs. I want to see the storybook ending for Jarome, assuming it doesn't come at the cost of the Calgary Flames losing.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-22-2018 at 01:22 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Point taken. Guess I'm just disappointed with the development of the teams highest draft pick.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #17
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Point taken. Guess I'm just disappointed with the development of the teams highest draft pick.
And I am totally with you ~ I thought by now he would have easily been 40+ points territory I mean I look at Tkachuk and I look at Bennett and say why can't you bring it like that but some players just develop at different paces.

I look at the Letehra for Schenn trade this offseason though and dread the thought of doing the same thing with Bennett.. his toolbox is just to explosive to do a trade in which we sell him low. Patience is the biggest key with Sam ~ the only way I see him moving is if he's packaged or the value coming back for him is a clear overpayment; it would be irresponsible of the management if that wasn't the case IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #18
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which I can understand, but only to a certain point. You have to look at what the pick was, and it's history, and the draft year it was in - and you can't hold it against the player.

For reference.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #19
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm with you. No assets should be spent on a rental, however if a hockey deal is there for an age appropriate player (mid-late? 20's) that fits our biggest hole organizationally (scoring winger), then yeah - you do it. You don't do it because it's the trade deadline, but you do it because it's what this team needs.

...and as you said, we're loaded with very strong defensive prospects, and the market shows they hold a lot of value. Could be a fun trade ahead.

What pisses me off more than anything this year is the use of Troy Brouwer - specifically on the PP. Dougie Hamilton should have been on the 1st PP unit from day 1 - yet didn't get there until February. That's not cool.

On the Bruins front - I really hope this trade is a step towards the Bruins signing Iggy. If that happens, I'll instantly be heavily invested in the Eastern Conference playoffs. I want to see the storybook ending for Jarome, assuming it doesn't come at the cost of the Calgary Flames losing.
I generally agree with you, except that it was Brodie and Versteeg (and then Backlund) keeping Gio and Hamilton off the top unit. Brouwer shouldn't have been on as long as he was, but he occupied a completely different spot.

Oddly enough, all the people who wanted Stone for a big shot on the pp wanted Brouwer off, when that's the time he would have been useful.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #20
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
If this guy is worth a 3rd, surely Ferland is worth a 1st?
Honestly, if the Flames came out now and said they are listening to offers on Ferland, there would be a MASSIVE bidding war where I feel the flames make out like bandits.

Doesnt mean I support trading Ferland... but man, I could see him being one of the most coveted pieces at this years deadline.

He is the epitome of Jack of all trades, master of none and players fear him. He can play up and down a lineup. He can be the setup man, the trigger man, the crash and banger and the sheriff all in one game. Only question mark is consistency. Teams are willing to gamble on that I think based on what he has shown thus far.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote