Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #321
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Okay. So we're trading all our roster players for draft picks. Who fills these spots? Prospects? How long do we wait until they develop into legit NHLers? And by that time is Gaudreau and Monahan still in their primes?

I understand people are frustrated but selling for picks would be an awful move right now.
I don't think anyone would try to sell trading all our roster players. That would be crazy. I'm also not a fan of rebuilding at this stage.

However, I actually think Stone, Ferland, Hathaway, Stajan and Versteeg are replaceable.

Trade these players for the best picks and prospects you can get. I'm not saying you will actually be able to trade all of them, but you can sure try.

Then, in the offseason, replace Stone with Andersson and sign FA or promote from the AHL or Dube to replace the forward depth. I honestly don't think this plan would leave us that worse off at the NHL level next year and we would have the benefit of having more players in the system.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #322
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really don't care if they make the playoffs or not. This team is weak i would like to see Brodie and Frolik traded for picks or a top 6 sniper.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 AM   #323
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
I really don't care if they make the playoffs or not. This team is weak i would like to see Brodie and Frolik traded for picks or a top 6 sniper.
I care.

If there's a deal out there for a pure shooter at the expense of anyone not named Gaudreau, Tkachuk or Hamilton I want the heads of Treviling/Burke on a platter.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #324
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Then why bother being a fan? Seriously if you don't care if the team you follow makes the playoffs or not why put in the time?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #325
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

It comes down to whether you want to see them merely get to the playoffs or actually get there and be able to do some damage once they do.

This team just lacks the consistency but if they are able to put everything together they could go on a decent run.

The d corps is solid and I think still top 3 in the west, probably top 2 with Nashville. And they are starting to play like it.

I remain cautiously optimistic and hope that they make a move for a more solid bottom six winger to replace Bennett and let him stay on the top line.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #326
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No matter what I want to see this team do everything it can to make the playoffs. Frankly I'm part of the anti-intentionally sewering your product, unless your willing to cut ticket prices in half to watch crap union 5182.

That doesn't mean that Treliving should blow his brains out. But he should absolutely be looking for what can help his team now.

The Flames are in that unique nether world, they're not good enough to be whole sale sellers unless you're part of the perpetual rebuilders union 27. They don't have the assets and there's some fundamental problems that need to be fixed that I don't believe can be fixed at the deadline. If you can move a troublesome contract, you do it. If someone wants something for a price that involves a strength for the Flames you do it.

I do think that this trade deadline is going to be underwhelming. From everything that I hear, the seller's don't realize that this is going to be a buyers market.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #327
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Calgary spends in the top 5 for the defense position, yet are average defensively and in goals against. I expected the offense to struggle a bit. But more I expected the defense to stand out, shut down other teams, and contribute offensively. They are just not cutting it for what we pay them.

Would not mind some type of retool on the backend.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #328
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
It comes down to whether you want to see them merely get to the playoffs or actually get there and be able to do some damage once they do.

This team just lacks the consistency but if they are able to put everything together they could go on a decent run.

The d corps is solid and I think still top 3 in the west, probably top 2 with Nashville. And they are starting to play like it.

I remain cautiously optimistic and hope that they make a move for a more solid bottom six winger to replace Bennett and let him stay on the top line.
This is the great Flames fan fallacy. They are not even close. Brodie is terrible. It seems like people want to hang onto the notion that he is still the player that was being talked about as an outside chance to make team Canada back in 2014. He has regressed since then. He is soft defensively, lacks mental toughness, and the offense he once brought is dried up.

We have an average D corp IMO that has not been exposed because of Vezina caliber goaltending for most of the year.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #329
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
This is the great Flames fan fallacy. They are not even close. Brodie is terrible. It seems like people want to hang onto the notion that he is still the player that was being talked about as an outside chance to make team Canada back in 2014. He has regressed since then. He is soft defensively, lacks mental toughness, and the offense he once brought is dried up.

We have an average D corp IMO that has not been exposed because of Vezina caliber goaltending for most of the year.
I actually like our d-core. It's nice to not have players like Wideman, Bartkowski Jokkipaka and players of similar ilk in the lineup on a regular basis.

Having said that I would move Brodie and/or Stone as players like Andersson, Valimaki or Kyllington get to the point where they are ready to overtake their duties (Andersson is already there).
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #330
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Should the predators have blown it up at this point last year when they were in the exact same position? Should the jets have blown it up last year when they were even worse?

Patience people, the Flames have some very good young pieces (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hamilton).

Some tweaking as we move forward, but this core will grow. The Flames are competitive now and are on the upswing.

Sure they are technically “middle of the pack” but so is 60% of the league. This middle of the pack team is very different than the Iginla middle of the pack teams.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #331
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Im afraid that we are looking at a situation that.... we might not be making any trades or picking anyone up. i think they are missing more than one or two pieces. this might be an offseason change. i hate saying that. cause they have not been a force since 2004. and yet in that same timeline we have seen chicago, pittsburgh L.A. Is this poor management? as a fan of the flames since the early 80's id like to know what it is about this team that we can make the playoffs, but make no dents in it.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #332
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on the numbers of the top 6 and top 2, the core is very solid. The second pair has underperformed, but other than that the core has performed admirably.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #333
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Flames

Can you name names? i mean forwards and defence that has performed their positions well. I'm not trying to disagree with you. But if i saw it from your perspective i might have more of an understanding of what you mean.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #334
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Calgary spends in the top 5 for the defense position, yet are average defensively and in goals against. I expected the offense to struggle a bit. But more I expected the defense to stand out, shut down other teams, and contribute offensively. They are just not cutting it for what we pay them.

That's not really how the defence is built, however. Giordano is a rock, but outside of that (and including him) the defence that Calgary built is mobile with a bunch of puck movers who can transition quickly.

They (imo) are just not playing to that strength. I would have had them pegged for close to top 10 in goals against simply due to how mobile they are and getting the puck out of their own zone quickly, but would be competing with Nashville for the most point production from the back-end.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #335
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post

it's strange because shot suppression wasn't an issue last year but this year shot suppression is a serious issue. The only reasons I can imagine for why that could be the case:

- Mike Smith's puck playing throwing the team off their natural rhythm
- Jankowski being a defensive downgrade on Bennett
- Hathaway being a defensive downgrade on Chiasson
- Hamonic/Stone being a defensive downgrade on Wideman/Engelland

All seem like huge reaches. And Kulak is a defensive upgrade on the likes of Bartkowski and Jokipaka - not even up for debate as those two were outright liabilities.

As far as I can tell Gulutzan has to shoulder most of the blame

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #336
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post

How much of Brodie’s regression is due to playing on his weak side (he’s stronger on his backhand) and not gelling with Hamonic at all... I’d say he’s way better with Stone, and even better yet with Gio. Brodie’s regression correlates directly to when Gulutzan came in and changed the pairings.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #337
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
How much of Brodie’s regression is due to playing on his weak side (he’s stronger on his backhand) and not gelling with Hamonic at all... I’d say he’s way better with Stone, and even better yet with Gio. Brodie’s regression correlates directly to when Gulutzan came in and changed the pairings.
No, his regression happened earlier. He slid the year before.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #338
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would trade Brodie for Max Domi. I know Domi isn't having a good season but the skill and truculence is there. I think he's being beat down from being on that team. Great age and skill set and Brodie hasn't lit the world on fire the last two years either. Might need to add but I think dmen are at a much higher premium than forwards plus Coyotes might lose OEL so they might be even more inclined. I think Domi has big upside.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #339
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I really think we love this roster and this set of players way too much. Hey, we're fans, we're supposed to. Our GM and management, need to be so much more honest and cut throat about their decisions.
Indeed. They should have gone for the one significant improvement option available: better coaching.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #340
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
I would trade Brodie for Max Domi. I know Domi isn't having a good season but the skill and truculence is there. I think he's being beat down from being on that team. Great age and skill set and Brodie hasn't lit the world on fire the last two years either. Might need to add but I think dmen are at a much higher premium than forwards plus Coyotes might lose OEL so they might be even more inclined. I think Domi has big upside.

If anything I think Arizona would have to add. Brodie is having a down year, but he’s still a mobile top 4 defenseman. Domi is lacking the hockey IQ. All tools and no toolbox
bax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade deadline