Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Moar mini footballs thrown to the fans!

Far too many games, I've walked away without a mini football and got jealous that terminally ill Timmy sitting in the front row got 5 while I got zero.
Have the Stamps considered that maybe middle aged fat guy fan who invested hundreds in the Stamps might want a mini football too?

they should consider throwing them for field goals too
They need a air controlled mini football machine gun mortar, that can fire 200 balls a minute at a 1000 yps

Oh my god they killed Grandpa

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #22
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Put a band in the stands that plays college like fight songs and the Calgary Stampeders theme.
I've mentioned it before on here but I'd love for them to play the fight song every game. I think they played it once last season... I'm a STH and people my age (26) who have been coming to game for years that I bring to games have no idea we even have a fight song.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM   #23
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haha because the fight song is awful.
I like living in the 21st century not the 19th.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 PM   #24
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Haha because the fight song is awful.
I like living in the 21st century not the 19th.
What's wrong with the 19th century?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The bottom line is that I no longer have any interest in going to McMahon for a game. I've done in the past, but right now the stadium experience has worsened at the same time that the TV experience has improved, that I would simply rather watch from home, even if given free tickets.

And I think I represent the type of fan that they need to get at least 2 or 3 games out of a season. I love the CFL. The fact I won't go to a game, when historically I have, is a problem that needs to be addressed - both overall but specifically in Calgary.
Is there anything they can do with the current stadium that would entice you to go?

I go to a game a year, thereabouts, when I am in Calgary visiting family. I just don’t find the stadium experience that big an issue, for me. I do get that it’s kind of a dump, but I’m not living in the place. Some older college stadiums are dumpy too.

Don’t mean to minimize your opinion, as I have heard it many times. Of all the memorable sporting events you have attended, was the building a big factor?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:33 PM   #26
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I like what the Flames have done with their happy hour deals. It might be something for McMahon to consider, especially on summer nights, Friday and Saturday in particular. Understandably, some folks prefer to tailgate, but it could be enticing for some.

CSEC also really upped its game with a variety of options, sushi, sliders, pulled pork et al. during Flames games. And this is coming from a person who admittedly once said she'd never touch sushi at the Saddledome. The food is tasty and a nice break for the popcorn, malts, nachos sometimes.

Could other options be brought to McMahon? Maybe it's not the demographic TPTB are looking for? I had a chance to sit in the north end patio section for a work function during a Stamps game last year and they did have a great selection of food just for us: ribs, sliders, coleslaw, tater tots. It made the night enjoyable.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 PM   #27
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Switch back to Coke instead of Pepsi

Then bring back the Cono Cup
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #28
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might work for in-game experience? I agree that it feels dry the past few seasons. Is there anything different that anyone knows of that works at other CFL venues? They obviously won't be changing much with the actual stadium anytime soon so I'm hoping to at least create discussion about what could possibly be done to improve in game experience.

-I think credit card/tap option needs to be made available at concessions.
-Halftime entertainment could use a refresher
-5 dollar happy hour seems to be a hit at Flames games, try something similar at McMahon?
-Tailgating is great but I'm wondering if there are some creative ways to create more excitement before games. Decent live band stage? Some kind of entertainment to get the crowd going?
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You think that halftime shows need a punch up now.

you should have been around in the glory days of Datillio and Joe Barnes and Bruce Threadgill, when the Stamps were horrible and the half time show was "The Stampeder Cheerleaders re-enact the great plays of the Calgary Stampeders.

Seeing a sweep run using interpretive dance moves and pom pom was truly horrifying.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #30
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is there anything they can do with the current stadium that would entice you to go?

I go to a game a year, thereabouts, when I am in Calgary visiting family. I just don’t find the stadium experience that big an issue, for me. I do get that it’s kind of a dump, but I’m not living in the place. Some older college stadiums are dumpy too.

Don’t mean to minimize your opinion, as I have heard it many times. Of all the memorable sporting events you have attended, was the building a big factor?
The only time it has been an issue for me is with McMahon. It just isn't fun. Parking, bad seating, long lines, and quite frankly depending on the game overly aggressive fans, make for a poor experience.
So if they aren't going to replace the stadium, they need to find paths to improve all of that. I don't know what those are. Or if they are even possible, but if they don't address some of it, folks like me simply won't go.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The main reason I don't go to more games is because I find tickets to be overpriced and it seems nearly impossible to grab a burger since I don't have cash/there are no ATMs/the lineups are a mile long.

Sitting on those awful, awful benches with no backs is torture for 3 hours. And sitting in the red/blue seats is insanely priced. I can get green tickets to a Flames game for about the same price or cheaper than I can to sit in row 45 at the 30 yard line. That's insane. Looking at the seating chart I'm underestimating. More like $80 to sit in row 45 at the 15 yard line. That's brutal value.

Oh and for the love of christ, fire the annoying guy (assuming he's still there, haven't been to a game since season before last) who screams into the microphone before every play. I just want someone who annouces "catch made by player y for 7 yards, 1st down stamps at the Argo 10 yard line". He can even be a little excited. But he should never yell incessantly trying to get me to cheer.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #32
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil terwilliger View Post

oh and for the love of christ, fire the annoying guy (assuming he's still there, haven't been to a game since season before last) who screams into the microphone before every play. I just want someone who annouces "catch made by player y for 7 yards, 1st down stamps at the argo 10 yard line". He can even be a little excited. But he should never yell incessantly trying to get me to cheer.
"maaaaakkkkkkeee sooommmmmeeee noissssssssseeeeeeee"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #33
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
-Tailgating is great but I'm wondering if there are some creative ways to create more excitement before games. Decent live band stage? Some kind of entertainment to get the crowd going?
They've put up some of their own concessions and stuff before the games, but for whatever reason seems to fall flat - it almost seems closed off and inaccessable. If they were to have some public things set up closer to where people walk to from the parking, ctrain, etc it might help create more atmosphere.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #34
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
A new sound system would be great
I missed this early when I was reading the thread but this would really be a huge improvement.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #35
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Not sure how you do it, but create a more awesome tail gate. Biggest thing missing from CFL. Get a band out there, make parking easy, setup a beer tent, setup a bbq. Get Ralph and cheerleaders out there doing giveaways.

The buildup to the game is most of the fun. When I go to a 230 NFL game I get there at 10AM.

Tailgating in Canada is pretty sad
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Not sure how you do it, but create a more awesome tail gate. Biggest thing missing from CFL. Get a band out there, make parking easy, setup a beer tent, setup a bbq. Get Ralph and cheerleaders out there doing giveaways.

The buildup to the game is most of the fun. When I go to a 230 NFL game I get there at 10AM.

Tailgating in Canada is pretty sad
Ralph may not help that tailgate much. He's got to be the worst mascot in sports history. The number of times I've watched him obsessively line up his signs on the sidelines for what seems like an eternity, meanwhile a close game is going on and he completely ignores obvious breaks in play where he could get the crowd going is mind boggling.

The Stamps would be better off putting a cardboard cutout on the sidelines.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Moar mini footballs thrown to the fans!

Far too many games, I've walked away without a mini football and got jealous that terminally ill Timmy sitting in the front row got 5 while I got zero.
Have the Stamps considered that maybe middle aged fat guy fan who invested hundreds in the Stamps might want a mini football too?

they should consider throwing them for field goals too
Kids love this stuff. My boys are always bummed out when these things don't come our way. For a team that badly needs to attract a younger audience they really need to do more of this stuff and more than a bucket of 15 balls for an area of a few thousand fans.

Another thing my boys really liked was one game against the Eskimos we were seated down near the field and right in front of the cheer team doing the flips and stuff. They enjoyed that and it's one thing Edmonton does well.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-01-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #38
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Ralph may not help that tailgate much. He's got to be the worst mascot in sports history. The number of times I've watched him obsessively line up his signs on the sidelines for what seems like an eternity, meanwhile a close game is going on and he completely ignores obvious breaks in play where he could get the crowd going is mind boggling.

The Stamps would be better off putting a cardboard cutout on the sidelines.
Not to mention that he does the chants too fast. He starts out waving the "D" and "fence" signs at a reasonable pace but then immediately speeds it up so nobody in the stands can actually keep pace, it sounds like ####.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #39
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I miss mascot fights.

I still remember when Harvey the Hound and Ralph gave Gainer the Gopher the Hart Attack.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #40
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You think that halftime shows need a punch up now.

you should have been around in the glory days of Datillio and Joe Barnes and Bruce Threadgill, when the Stamps were horrible and the half time show was "The Stampeder Cheerleaders re-enact the great plays of the Calgary Stampeders.

Seeing a sweep run using interpretive dance moves and pom pom was truly horrifying.
Man that brings back memories hearing those names, you cant forget the Rick Johnson era as well. good times.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post: