Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'd like to see them adopt some CFL rules

No fair catch, put in the 5 yard sphere of catching

One foot in and down

shorter play clock.

I'd also like to see the ability to declare a series of tempo football no huddle.

oh and for the convert instead of kicking a football through the uprights they have to kick a little person through the uprights.
Yeah, no thanks, no yards is way too much of a judgement call.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
real football. So you can squeeze 45 commercials into a quarter of play. The NFL still doesn't even know what a catch is.
Okay, the whole process of the catch stuff that the NFL has been on as of late, is utter nonsense, on that I can agree.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #23
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Oh dear lord shut up about the NFL vs CFL and get back to talking about how stupid the XFL is going to be...again.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #24
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is a few weeks old, but Jim Cornette gives his opinion on the XFL and Vince McMahon's other non-wrestling schemes:

NSFW (In true Cornette fashion)

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Prediction:

First major player signing is Sam Bradford.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #26
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Yeah clock management, it is a part of real football.
Come on.. I'm more of an NFL fan too, but I hate comments like this on the CFL. It's a good league with good talent. Canadian game has lost an entire generation of fans because of 00s apex NFL uber hype so anything Canadian must be lame in comparison. Hate that mentality.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #27
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legit on topic CFL question: how will this affect the CFL?

The seasons won’t overlap but will this have an impact on the CFL draft, training camps, recruitment, etc?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

The seasons won’t overlap but will this have an impact on the CFL draft, training camps, recruitment, etc?
It will really depend on salaries. Recruitment and such will be affected depending on the guys ambitions. If they still want a legit shot at the NFL you come to Canada IMO.

It wont affect the draft at all.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post

It will for sure. There are going to be some Americans that would rather stay south of the border and play in a league that has a field and rules closer to the NFL. However it's not like the league will last more than 3-4 years so the pain for the CFL will be short term.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Everyone should watch the XFL 30 for 30. It was quite good. Bob Costas comes across as just as much of an obnoxious dbag as you'd expect.
Hear Bob Costas talk about that and more on the Sklar Brothers podcast:

https://art19.com/shows/sklarbro-cou...5-3adfa41d5f0b
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #31
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Come on.. I'm more of an NFL fan too, but I hate comments like this on the CFL. It's a good league with good talent. Canadian game has lost an entire generation of fans because of 00s apex NFL uber hype so anything Canadian must be lame in comparison. Hate that mentality.
Canadians seem to love the "hype" and "presentation" arguments for why the NFL grabbed a solid foothold in Canada but it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny. The truth is the CFL lost a generation of fans because NFL football became cheaper and more accessible in Canada and the quality of play was far superior. I grew up a CFL fan, but there is just no comparison to the quality of football played in the NFL. The NFL is definitely treading into "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" territory but it's still much more entertaining than the CFL.

And the rouge is absolutely the dumbest rule in sports.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #32
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough. I think that CFL talent is better and more entertaining than you're giving it credit for, but you're allowed to not enjoy it anymore, that's fine. It was the "REAL football" comment specifically that bugged me, as it implies CFL is such a joke that it's not even real ball. Hence my "c'mon..". I don't like that mentality that CFL isn't even real football, it's inaccurate and comes off very dismissive and arrogant towards our own game.

I think another factor is when you turn on the TV, the crowd atmosphere / game day experience is just incomparably better in the States than the Canadian game. You watch NFL with a rocking stadium, then flip it over to the Ti-Cats game on commercial and it's a library in comparison, all you hear is light cheering with cow bells and those lame big red horns mixed in. It just seems amateur in comparison (outside of Sask anyway)

But I'd argue a large part of that is because of the growing apathy in Canada for Canadian football, resulting in smaller, quieter crowds than 20 years ago. Though obviously American football crowds were always way crazier, it's their NHL down there. Our love and passion of football as a nation will never touch theirs.

I definitely prefer NFL as well, I just don't like the growing snobbery of younger generations towards our own game. Yeah it's not The Show, but it's professional football in your own city, full of former big name NCAA stars that are still really good in their athletic prime. I just wish people would stop directly comparing it to the best football league on the planet, go down to the stadium have a couple beers and a good time in the summer weather, cheer on the home side, and enjoy it for what it is.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #33
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'm not sure how you define "quality" but I find the CFL rules more entertaining.

Of course the NFL has the best athletes - but the imports that come to play in the CFL are not complete chumps - many played in big NCAA programs.

Someone please check my math - I estimate there are 12,000 players in NCAA Div I football, and 1,500 players in the NFL. Players that come to the CFL are still in the 85% percentile of the best players in the NCAA.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #34
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Fair enough. I think that CFL talent is better and more entertaining than you're giving it credit for, but you're allowed to not enjoy it anymore, that's fine. It was the "REAL football" comment specifically that bugged me, as it implies CFL is such a joke that it's not even real ball. Hence my "c'mon..". I don't like that mentality that CFL isn't even real football, it's inaccurate and comes off very dismissive and arrogant towards our own game.

I think another factor is when you turn on the TV, the crowd atmosphere / game day experience is just incomparably better in the States than the Canadian game. You watch NFL with a rocking stadium, then flip it over to the Ti-Cats game on commercial and it's a library in comparison, all you hear is light cheering with cow bells and those lame big red horns mixed in. It just seems amateur in comparison (outside of Sask anyway)

But I'd argue a large part of that is because of the growing apathy in Canada for Canadian football, resulting in smaller, quieter crowds than 20 years ago. Though obviously American football crowds were always way crazier, it's their NHL down there. Our love and passion of football as a nation will never touch theirs.

I definitely prefer NFL as well, I just don't like the growing snobbery of younger generations towards our own game. Yeah it's not The Show, but it's professional football in your own city, full of former big name NCAA stars that are still really good in their athletic prime. I just wish people would stop directly comparing it to the best football league on the planet, go down to the stadium have a couple beers and a good time in the summer weather, cheer on the home side, and enjoy it for what it is.
Sorry, I was implying that clock management should be a part of ANY football game. I find the first 3 quarters of a CFL game to be pointless. Massive 2+ scores swings inside the 3 minute warning aren't that uncommon, seems like the SO in hockey to me. Also CFL officiating is an issue for me, and tempers my enjoyment.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #35
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

And the rouge is absolutely the dumbest rule in sports.
While you're not the first person to say that, it's the weakest take on the CFL there is. A field goal situation in the CFL results in more outcomes, making it a tactically much richer decision for both the kicking and receiving team. A rule that increases tactical complexity and benefits both good pre-play decision-making and on-the-field, reactionary decision-making, is a good rule. I've got zero clue why anyone would prefer the super-simplistic kicking game of the NFL.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #36
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
While you're not the first person to say that, it's the weakest take on the CFL there is. A field goal situation in the CFL results in more outcomes, making it a tactically much richer decision for both the kicking and receiving team. A rule that increases tactical complexity and benefits both good pre-play decision-making and on-the-field, reactionary decision-making, is a good rule. I've got zero clue why anyone would prefer the super-simplistic kicking game of the NFL.
It rewards failure, miss a last minute field goal in a tied game, no worries just blast it out the back, or tackle the return man before he gets out of the EZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM   #37
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Back on topic, the XFL will fail miserably again. Americans don't tend to adopt second best too readily.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how a FG that goes wide and out of the endzone, resulting in a point is somehow tactically brilliant. The no-yards penalty on punts is also a stupid rule. I get people don't like fair catches but punting in the NFL is much more strategic than the CFL. It also doesn't make any sense that a rouge is worth the same as a successful PAT.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #39
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how a FG that goes wide and out of the endzone, resulting in a point is somehow tactically brilliant.
The theory should be that you're giving up a point in exchange for better field position. In the CFL, you take a knee on a missed FG or a punt that goes to the endzone, you give your opponent a point in exchange for not starting much deeper in your own territory. In the NFL, with a touchback, you get 20 yards for free. Where's the strategy and gamesman ship in that?

I think this is part of where the single point rule can be tweaked. If a ball goes flying out of the endzone on a FG or punt, it should be no point - that I agree with.

Fun fact: taking a knee, or a ball going OB on a kick is called a single point. If a player returning a ball out of the endzone is tackled, that's a rouge.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
It rewards failure, miss a last minute field goal in a tied game, no worries just blast it out the back, or tackle the return man before he gets out of the EZ.
I see it this way - it is reward for field position.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: