Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #141
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pace has fallen off a bit, the club is currently on track for about 92 points. That's not quite going to get it done, but 4 or 5 extra wins in the last 21 to get to 96 or 97 points should. Razor thin margins in the home stretch.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #142
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know the stretch here has looked grim. But honestly, I made a list of the entire remaining schedule a while back and I had us losing against Boston and Vegas. So I'm actually not surprised by the results.

This was the toughest part of the schedule and now that we're done it, we play 11-12 games against teams outside of a playoff position. If we can take care of business against most of these teams, we still have a shot at a wild card position.

The upcoming schedules of the 3 current playoff central teams looks very very difficult as well, so if they start losing more and more of these tough games and head to head matchups, our chances increase greatly.

Everyone needs to stop looking at just the Pacific division as our only way in. It's getting very annoying that so many people have discounted the Widecard positions for whatever reason.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #143
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arizona
Colorado
Dallas
Colorado

Rangers
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Ottawa

Islanders
Edmonton
San Jose
Vegas

Arizona
Anaheim
San Jose

Columbus
Edmonton
Arizona

Winnipeg
Vegas

The need to go at least 6-2-2 in the 10 games against the teams that are clearly below them in the standings.

Plus if they can also go 3-2 against the stronger non-divisional teams (COL x 2, WPG, PIT, DAL)

Then 3-2 in the big divisional games (VGKx2, SJSx2, ANA).

That would put them at 12-6-2 over the last 20 games of the season and they would finish with 95 points which would be the brink of a wild card spot.

It won't be easy but really it will come down to beating the teams that are below them in the standings to get it done - while hoping the Central teams beat each other up without going to OT.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-22-2018 at 10:38 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #144
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
The pace has fallen off a bit, the club is currently on track for about 92 points. That's not quite going to get it done, but 4 or 5 extra wins in the last 21 to get to 96 or 97 points should. Razor thin margins in the home stretch.
I’d be more optimistic if I saw the team bearing down. The teams ahead of us started their stretch runs a while ago.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #145
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The central wilcard teams haven't been playing very good
Old 02-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #146
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted this in another thread, that the pack teams have 141 games remaining and 34 are head to head with each other. There is the potential for a lot of movement over the next 45 days as the head to head games limit the amount of points available.

Bottom line, 2 and 3 points of back of the last two WC spots. 4 points back of the 3rd PAC spot with a game in hand and we play Anaheim. We even play SJ twice still and are 5 points back. Everything is very much up for grabs.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #147
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Don't Stop Believing! The Flames are still only 4 points back of the Sharks and for eternal optimism, the Knights can still be caught for 1st place in the western conf. GO FLAMES.

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 03-01-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:04 AM   #148
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's getting tougher and tougher for even an optimist like myself to believe in this team. There's just an element missing. Call it "tough to play against" or "intestinal fortitude" or whatever you want, but it doesn't seem to be there for most of this team. Mentally fragile, especially lately. If that's because of Gulutzan's methods, then perhaps a change is in order, but I'm far from sure that he's the problem.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #149
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's getting tougher and tougher for even an optimist like myself to believe in this team. There's just an element missing. Call it "tough to play against" or "intestinal fortitude" or whatever you want, but it doesn't seem to be there for most of this team. Mentally fragile, especially lately. If that's because of Gulutzan's methods, then perhaps a change is in order, but I'm far from sure that he's the problem.
The biggest thing they are lacking in my opinion (other then another coach) is a 24 year old Jarome Iginla. They need him to come back in his prime reincarnated. Right handed great shot. Winner. Leadership. Toughness and someone who can do it all. Dare to dream.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #150
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
The biggest thing they are lacking in my opinion (other then another coach) is a 24 year old Jarome Iginla. They need him to come back in his prime reincarnated. Right handed great shot. Winner. Leadership. Toughness and someone who can do it all. Dare to dream.
Wrong thread? They are a point out of the playoffs with a fifth of the season to play. I'm not getting pessimistic quite yet.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:28 AM   #151
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe if we’re going to clone Jarome. Let’s clone Regehr and Miikka as well
Old 03-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #152
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Wrong thread? They are a point out of the playoffs with a fifth of the season to play. I'm not getting pessimistic quite yet.
I’m just responding to the previous posters comment on something is missing.
However. I have been known to be quite pessimistic. So you do raise a good point. I dunno man. I just have seen to many patterns lately that tell me otherwise. God I would love to Be proven wrong and be optimistic. Since this is the purpose of this thread.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #153
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm optimistic that we'll get a better coach next year and take top in the division!

...wrong way to be optimistic or just bad timing?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #154
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im gonna give this whole optimism thing a try.

Despite the flames not being able to put together more than about 3 complete games this season (where attacking, defending, goaltending and special teams were all clicking) I think they still have a chance, we haven’t seen them go on any sort of real run yet and I think they are due. Even the 7game win streak wasn’t their best hockey of the season, aside from the Tampa game.

There is a very good chance that they could win 6 of the next 6, the pens are reeling with questionable goaltending just like us so we can win there, and the rest of the games are easily winnable. If you win these six or even five of six you’re sitting at 83-85 points and only need ~10 points out of the last 11 games to hit the alledged magic number (I think we may need a bit more than that with how many 3pount games there’s been)

Now is the time to go on a little win streak and get some momentum building up
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #155
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I'm optimistic that we'll get a better coach next year and take top in the division!

...wrong way to be optimistic or just bad timing?
Congrats...you're hilarious...

The point of this eternal optimist thread is to throw the losses behind us and focus on moving forward. Because of poor posters like you that constantly cry about the same thing in every thread, this place is way to bogged down for people to actually talk hockey and the remainder of this season.

For us who want to look at the season holistically and not stand on the ledge game in and game out, this is the thread where we can. Add something of value, otherwise go cry on the other threads like you have been doing so.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #156
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Don't Stop Believing! The Flames are still only 4 points back of the Sharks and for eternal optimism, the Knights can still be caught for 1st place in the western conf. GO FLAMES.
...and we have 2 games against SJ. One game at a time. Let's get that win against the rags and use it as a springboard for a streak.

We are definitely going streaking!
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #157
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough slugging around these parts.

They've dug themselves a hole but I still believe. A big win tonight will be just what the doctor ordered to get on a bit of a roll.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #158
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton - W
San Jose - ?
Vegas - ?
Arizona - W
Anaheim - ?
San Jose -?
Los Angeles - ?
Columbus - W
Edmonton - W
Arizona - W
Winnipeg -?
Vegas - ?

The way I look at they have 5 games against bottom feeders they need to win Edmonton X 2, Arizona X 2 , & Columbus (slumping and Jones is hurt).

Then in the 7 other games (San Jose X 2, Las Vegas X2, LA, Anaheim, Winnipeg) they would just need a split (3-3-1).

That would be a 8-3-1 finish and 95 points. Would be close but still possible to get in IMO. Just need some of the percentages to turn around at home AND to beat the damn Oilers.

Knowing this team though they will go 1-3-1 against the bottom feeders, win 6 of 7 against the hard teams and then miss the playoffs by a point.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-13-2018 at 09:35 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #159
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I forecasted wins and loses for the rest of the schedule that would get us to 95 points and I had us beating the Islanders and losing to the Oilers tonight. So if they win tonight instead, then they can still keep up with the pace that I had projected.

But they're running out of runway and that Islanders loss hurt. So they better pick up their game now because the schedule will start getting tougher than the last 3 opponents.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: