Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buying a travel trailer

What should I look for in a camping trailer? We've never owned one but have had a camper van for many years. I'm thinking of trying for a good end-of-season deal. Bathroom vs. no bathroom? What other features? How can I determine if it's been well cared for? What else is there besides what you can see (upholstery, cabinets, flooring, number and size of beds, etc.)? What about haulability? Should I get my mechanic to take a look underneath?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you plan to move around a lot I found that weight was the number one priority...we stayed focused on weight and bought the best trailer for us inside of that parameter. It forced us to ignore things we might like, (such as outdoor kitchens, etc.); but ultimately we have a unit that works with our tow vehicle and one that I don't fret over taking around the country.

If you shop floor plan and features first you run the risk of owning something you really don't have the capacity for.

And somewhat ignore towing capacity vs. trailer weight, in my research i found that you will nearly always run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. (of course don't go over towing capacity either)

Last edited by Ace; 08-29-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Buying a travel trailer

And don't listen to the salesman on what your truck can tow. In addition to Ace's advise, take your vehicles towing capacity and reduce it by 20% to account for Calgary's altitude and unrealistic testing conditions.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What should I look for in a camping trailer? We've never owned one but have had a camper van for many years. ...
I have nothing to suggest, MoneyGuy, but I am curious to hear your thought process on this.

We do enjoy driving far to see places, so comfortable travel is a factor. As our kids are getting less and less eager to travel with us, we have been talking about getting a camper van for ourselves but could never justify the cost/benefit. We are not the kind of traveler that camps roadside or deep in the back country. So, yeah, camper vans look very comfortable for long travels, especially some of the newer Mercedes Marco Polo vehicles, but they cost a fortune! And there is usually a hotel somewhere where we'd go.

Camper-trailers on the other hand give you more freedom with your own vehicle but seem like a total nuisance. Lots of effort to un-hitch, set-up, maintain. Driving with a trailer is also never that pleasant, from my limited towing experience.

Again, just wanted to learn more about your logic on this.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What should I look for in a camping trailer? We've never owned one but have had a camper van for many years. I'm thinking of trying for a good end-of-season deal. Bathroom vs. no bathroom? What other features? How can I determine if it's been well cared for? What else is there besides what you can see (upholstery, cabinets, flooring, number and size of beds, etc.)? What about haulability? Should I get my mechanic to take a look underneath?
So many variables with a question like this.

A. What kind of tow vehicle do you have/plan to use

B. What kind of camping are you going to do with it. Long summer vacation trips or mainly weekend getaways.

C. If you are looking for an end of season deal, then I would assume you are thinking of buying new, not used.

My take on this is as a minimum...

-avoid aluminum sided models, it hails here every year. If you want to have a pock marked trailer or dont mind dealing with the hassle of insurance claims and siding replacement, then go ahead with aluminum.

-Having a bathroom is a no brainer.

Really you need to figure out a lot of basics like I listed above first, then maybe we could help you narrow down some of the other items/questions.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're buying end of season with no intent to actually use it this year, don't shell out extra for the dealer batteries at the time of purchase. If it comes with a battery (or batteries) then get a fully automatic charger/maintainer and keep those bad boys plugged in. A charged battery will never freeze, but without a maintainer your battery will self-discharge in 30-60 days at which point your sulfuric-acid electrolyte turns into water. If your battery freezes, even if it doesn't bulge or split open (unlikely, but I've seen it) then it is done. A pair of 6V Trojan batteries is probably near $500 now.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
canadianmoosette
Draft Pick

We recently purchased a travel trailer (Coachmen Freedom Express Maple Leaf Edition) after years of camping in a tiny tent trailer that we mainly used for back country camping. What we wanted when we were shopping around was: Bathroom/shower, solar package, good inside kitchen, outdoor kitchen, bunk room (sleeping space for the dogs since we have no kids), comfy sitting area with push outs to maximize the inside space. These preferences have now changed since we have used the trailer a bit, but I will get to that later. We hauled the trailer around for about 3 camping trips and then we decided to find a permanent place for it with water/power/sewege. Honestly we found hauling it around and dumping tanks to be a pain and it was damn expensive for gas. We actually found a gem of a spot down in Montana (4 hour drive) and the trailer sits there permanently now and we use it like a cabin. We can just hop in the car and zip down there super quick after work before the weekends and then zip home sunday afternoon with no packing up. It is amazing. I highly recommend the permanent spot but of course everyone's preferences are very different . Anyways, now back to the features that we thought we initially wanted and what has changed... Well I would definitely not get the outdoor kitchen. We just don't use it other than the fridge for beer when we have a big group staying with us. We actually had a mouse nest in the outdoor kitchen early in the season and I think the fact that there was food smells but not much going in-and-out of it was just a perfect storm to get mice. We not would prefer to have that extra space available inside the trailer instead of out. We love having the bathroom and shower. It is great being parked permanently because we just dump the tanks directly into the pipes that are hooked up below. So easy. Our kitchen is super functional and we have an oversized fridge which is great. We have a microwave but we use it for storage because it tends to pop the breaker when we have the AC going. Works good as a bread cupboard. We don't use the oven either. It is where I keep my frying pan. But we definitely use the cook top inside and the hood fan sucks up all the food smells. Once feature that our trailer had was an extra wide kitchen counter. There is about 8 inches of space behind the sink and stove. This is great for the coffee maker and all that stuff that clutters up the kitchen. It was something we didn't really know we needed but love it. As for space inside we bought a 35 foot trailer that has the master bedroom at the front and a bunk room at the back. We are really glad we went with this option. The dogs sleep there and if anyone else stays back there they have their own door with a bit of privacy. The trailer actually sleeps 10 but we don't ever use the kitchen table as a bed or the pullout sofa. One last feature that I cant recommend enough is to have a second trailer access door in the bathroom. It is so nice to have people be able to access the bathroom through that door instead of entering through the main door and walking all through the trailer. As for the solar package, it is great but totally not being used since our spot had power. We might use it for winter camping when they turn the power off but if I could go back I wouldn't get it added. Sorry for the wall of text!! hope any of that helps
canadianmoosette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Paragraphs would really help for clarity.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

We lived in our trailer for 5 weeks before our house was built, so most of this opinion is heavily weighted on that experience.

Prioritize based on weight and dedicated bed space.

As mentioned, give yourself a large buffer for vehicle capacity vs trailer weight. Look for the card inside the trailer to verify this, don't trust what the sales guys says.

Couches/Tables that turn into beds are okay, but only for small children. We made sure we had a full sized queen and a master bedroom, and put in a real mattress for comfort. This might not be as crucial for regular camping vs our situation.

Budget to replace the batteries with 2x (or 4) 6V batteries, including a secure box to hold them in, and if possible get a solar charger for them to maintain charge.

Bathroom is a must, especially if you have girls. Mine refuse to use an outhouse, so that amplifies the need for me. Shower is okay, bu I think that our shower is pretty tight for an adult, and the shower surround is pretty flimsy, ie we stand in it and you can tell that you are just standing on the drain pipe that is underneath.

Get some sort of sprayer to help clean out your black tank, either built in, or added in afterwards. So nice knowing that when you dump you don't have a mountain of something that is stuck in there, especially when you put away for winter. We had a family member not clean theirs out properly last year and then when the pulled it out for the family reunion a few weeks back, it reeked to be anywhere near it.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #10
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people's thoughts/experiences on storage? That has been the main detractor for me, as having to pick it up, get it ready, pay for storage, etc all before being able to load it up seems like a big turn off for a camper that would mostly be used for weekend / week long getaways. Basically need a day on either end of any trip just for the "dad" stuff.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #11
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
What are people's thoughts/experiences on storage? That has been the main detractor for me, as having to pick it up, get it ready, pay for storage, etc all before being able to load it up seems like a big turn off for a camper that would mostly be used for weekend / week long getaways. Basically need a day on either end of any trip just for the "dad" stuff.
Well unless you can keep it at home or a friends then storage is a necessity, and it can be expensive in Calgary. We keep ours out by Springbank Airport and while a little pricey it is pretty secure and the yard has basic RV services (air, water, some supplies etc.) so it's pretty good in that way. We usually bring it home to pack as our trips tend to be a little longer lately but back when we did a lot of weekend trips (mostly to the west) it was simple to just head out the day before and turn on the fridge and then just pack clothes, food etc. into the car the next day when we were going. Wife unloaded into the trailer while I was hitching up so it took no time at all. But the more crap you take with you the harder it would be to do this.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great thread. We're considering buying one in the next couple years as well so will be following the suggestions here. This was how we did the majority of our holidays growing up so I'm looking forward to creating the same memories with my own family now.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
So many variables with a question like this.

A. What kind of tow vehicle do you have/plan to use

B. What kind of camping are you going to do with it. Long summer vacation trips or mainly weekend getaways.

C. If you are looking for an end of season deal, then I would assume you are thinking of buying new, not used.

My take on this is as a minimum...

-avoid aluminum sided models, it hails here every year. If you want to have a pock marked trailer or dont mind dealing with the hassle of insurance claims and siding replacement, then go ahead with aluminum.

-Having a bathroom is a no brainer.

Really you need to figure out a lot of basics like I listed above first, then maybe we could help you narrow down some of the other items/questions.
We have an aluminum siding trailer and yeah, if it gets hammered with hail, which we see a lot of in Calgary, you will either have to live with the dents or pony up the insurance deductible to get it fixed. Ours got hit last year and the cost to replace the siding was $9000. Of course we just paid our $500 deductible and moved on with our lives but I can see this occurring with regularity and wish I had a hard wall trailer.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Couches/Tables that turn into beds are okay, but only for small children. We made sure we had a full sized queen and a master bedroom, and put in a real mattress for comfort. This might not be as crucial for regular camping vs our situation.
Best advice I got when buying mine, never factor in "that can be turned into a bed" as a bed for a family member. Save those for emergencies.

Quote:
Budget to replace the batteries with 2x (or 4) 6V batteries, including a secure box to hold them in, and if possible get a solar charger for them to maintain charge.
As much as I'm a huge solar fan, I don't agree with this. I know some people who only camp in places with power. Second, Having just the one battery and a 70 watt panel, I've never come close to running out of power. Also, the benefit of two 6v batteries over two 12v batteries isn't significant. You are getting 240 amp hours vs 200 amp hours. Still 20% more; sure. Or you can get a slightly bigger solar panel. Or two 12v group 31 batteries will give you 240 amp hours.

Going to two 6v batteries to start is a huge investment, which may not be needed.

Quote:
Bathroom is a must
Agreed. Unless you are getting a permanent spot with good porta-potties or washrooms. That being said, the downside of emptying the tank is minimal compared to the convenience.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #15
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
The night before we are going I take some stuff out to it, turn on the fridge, do a quick vacuum. The day we leave we hook up and leave from storage, since most places we camp have potable water and we fill up there.

Then when we are done we just take dirty clothes, leftover food, and anything else we want home with us. The beauty of a trailer is for the most part everything is going to stay in there.

Our storage is like a 10 minute drive from our house and has a sani-dump. Location wise it's nice to be close, so maybe that's why I don't mind running out there the night before.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #16
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, everyone.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's a bit out of the way for Calgarians, but for anyone outside the city in the area, this might be of interest, as far as storage goes.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #18
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
If you plan to move around a lot I found that weight was the number one priority...we stayed focused on weight and bought the best trailer for us inside of that parameter. It forced us to ignore things we might like, (such as outdoor kitchens, etc.); but ultimately we have a unit that works with our tow vehicle and one that I don't fret over taking around the country.

If you shop floor plan and features first you run the risk of owning something you really don't have the capacity for.

And somewhat ignore towing capacity vs. trailer weight, in my research i found that you will nearly always run out of payload before you run out of towing capacity. (of course don't go over towing capacity either)
Yes so many people over look payload and go straight for towing capacity. Dodge 1500 trucks are famous for their towing capabilites but their actual payload sucks. https://www.ramtruck.ca/en/1500/spec You have to factor 10- 12% of your loaded (bumper pull) trailer weight as well as occupants and contents of your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
And don't listen to the salesman on what your truck can tow. In addition to Ace's advise, take your vehicles towing capacity and reduce it by 20% to account for Calgary's altitude and unrealistic testing conditions.
Elevation will play a part in overall vehicle power but most towing capacities are limited by the strength of the frame/ chasis over horespower.

Lifted this from an online article http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/09...-altitude.html

"While recently testing a 2015 Ford F-150, I looked through its manual and found this on page 251: "Note: For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1000 ft. (305 m) starting at the 1000 ft. (305 m) elevation point."
Old 02-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #19
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bump because it’s cold outside!

We would like to get a trailer this year. We have an SUV, Toyota Highlander, that has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. we are interested in a trailer that has a UVW of 3217 lbs and GVWR of 3725. Do we have the right vehicle to tow this trailer?
It also limits us to few hard sides and more to the tin sides. Another question is either find a seasonal vs traveling around because of our vehicle. We didn’t even consider tent trailers because they are pita to set up. Thoughts. Thanks.
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My vehicle can tow 5200 pounds and fully loaded my trailer is 3800. Around Alberta it's fine, however once you get into BC be prepared to have to slow down going up hills. (And to let people pass.) That last one is important- if it's a 4 hour car ride, count on 5 pulling the trailer. I would strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch.

That all being said, we went to a permanent site. After taking off the cost we were paying for storage it's about $600 per year. I do miss going and exploring new places; and I'll probably unhook and take a road trip this year. However it's nice to not have to worry about a lot of things, we can just load up the car with food and go.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: