Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #1
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 THE Premier League Thread

New Premier League season kicks off soon! I figured it was time to get the thread going. Opening weekend sees all twenty teams in action, beginning on Friday Aug. 11:

Arsenal vs. Leicester

Saturday has seven matches:

Watford vs. Liverpool

Palace vs. Huddersfield

West Brom vs. Bournemouth

Brighton vs. Man City

Everton vs. Stoke

Southampton vs. Swansea

Chelsea vs. Burnley

And Sunday see’s the final two opening matches:

Newcastle vs. Tottenham

Man U vs. West Ham

This season should be exciting - it always is, there's still plenty of time in this transfer window, and there will still be massive ins and outs for the top teams. I still think Chelsea are the team to beat this year, hard to argue with that though as they were pretty dominant last year and look to have improved. As for Tottenham, I respect how they have such a consistent squad, and they really build well from within. As of yet, no major changes from the team last year, aside from the departure of Kyle Walker. Arsenal had a relatively disappointing season last year, their worst in 20 years. How are they going to replace Sanchez if he leaves, and will he go to Man City? Speaking of Man City, has anyone ever spent that much on wingbacks!? Although I've always thought of Guardiola as an astute manager and tactician, the pressure is really on him this year. How about their rivals Man U? I really enjoyed watching Ibrahimovic there last year, and I always keep an eye on Swedish players playing for the major clubs, so I am hoping that Lindelöf will do well there this year. They also spent $90M on Lukaku, though he's pretty well proven, so he should be successful this year. And Liverpool of course. They're a team that I'm neutral on, but I don't mind seeing them do well. It would be interesting if Coutinho leaves, I'm not sure that he will, but they still have a pretty strong squad and should fare quite well. I don't know about top 3, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Other things for this season will be to see how Rooney fares in Everton. It's going to be strange to see him back in blue, but seeing him have a good year would be a feel good story. Although the years have caught up to him, there is a chance that this role re-invigorates his career. I'm always curious to see the newcomers, mainly Huddersfield and Brighton this year. I love watching the teams outside of the top ten or so grind it out and fight for their lives, as the bottom half of the table shapes up. These two teams have their work cut out for them, and although I don't know much about them, I hear they both play an exciting style. Will they stay up this year? If so, who's going down!?

I’ll give a little primer for my team, Stoke City, and hope everyone else can share their optimism and concerns of their teams for the upcoming season.

This year might be difficult for Stoke. I think we'll be safe, but a return to the top ten would be a welcome surprise. The off-season saw the departure of a few aging but key players, namely Glenn Whelan to Villa and Jon Walters to Burnley, both loyal and character players who really embodied the “old Stoke” style. Phil Bardsley is also gone to Burnley, and of course there is also the surprising and unexpected transfer of Marko Arnautovic to West Ham. Newcomers include Darren Fletcher (free signing) and Josh Tymon – a young left back who featured quite a bit last season for Hull City. Darren Fletcher is an upgrade on Glenn Whelan, but at 33 years old isn't a long term replacement, but he should be a good addition for this year and likely next as well.

Stoke struggled defensively last year, with goalie Jack Butland out for most of last season with an injury – and although backup Lee Grant performed really well, things got better when Butland returned, and hopefully that makes a big difference this year. In Defense, as of now Bruno Martins Indi is not returning, although Stoke is actively negotiating with Porto to bring him here full time. Kurt Zouma is on loan from Chelsea however, and looks a very capable and promising defender. He has just signed a long term deal with Chelsea however, so this move is temporary. Ryan Shawcross has had injury troubles as well, and his form hasn’t been the best lately. For stoke to have a successful season he will have to regain form, but the potential for a good partnership is there with Zouma.

The left/right back postions are average with our side. Eric Pieters is sound defensively, but not much of a threat moving forward. Glen Johnson is the opposite, and often gets caught in possession up-field, or lapses in concentration. There is youth waiting in the wings however with newcomer Josh Tymon, and academy player Tom Edwards ready to make the jump to the first team.

Stoke’s midfield is the type that should be good on paper – but the club has struggled defensively since the departure of Steven N’Zonzi two seasons ago. There`s talented players in Gianelli Imbula and Bojan, but both have struggled heavily with poor form. Imbula is a really intriguing but frustrating player, he looks like Patrick Viera at times, but has severe mental lapses which directly result in goals against. So far this pre-season however he looks better on that end, and he is still relatively young and learning how to play in the Premiership. Bojan on the other hand has been poor since his season ending injury two seasons ago. He is the clubs best option in the number 10 role though, and if he can somehow regain his pre-injury form (which isn`t looking likely), it would be a massive boost to our attack. Ibrahim Affelay is also suitable in a forward role, but unfortunately injuries are a constant battle for him. Joe Allen was a bright spot for stretches last season, but the team does struggle to use him properly, as they`ve been forced to use him in an attacking role due to the poor form of Bojan.

Out wide, the loss of Arnautovic really hurts, but there is a very promising talent in Ramadan Sobhi, of Egypt. He is 21 (maybe 22 now), but plays a very mature game, and is very direct. He takes on defenders one on one very well, and drives the play forward. Unless there is another incoming replacement for Arnautovic, he will be the first choice left winger for Stoke. On the right side is Xerdan Shaqiri. He has all the tools, and just needs to put them together consistently game in and game out. He has looked very good so far in pre-season and I anticipate a big season for him, especially with Arnautovic gone and him becoming the “main man”. If the club can bring in another winger to help replace Arnautovic and share duties with these two, I actually like the wide players Stoke possess.

Up front there are question marks. Peter Crouch is always money, but the team have to play a long game when he is on. He’s a great target man though, and is the perfect player to bring on as a sub if you’re trailing a game. He’s just such a likeable guy too, but he’s really getting up there in age. Saido Berahino is the one who we are pinning our hopes on this season though, and although he is still struggling to find consistency, there is a lot of promise there. He makes intelligent runs, but the problem is having the players to feed him properly. This task will fall onto Shaqiri, and if he can regain his form, Bojan. Diouf is another player who will see a fair amount of game time, and will be there to replace Berahino if he does struggle.

There are talks of bringing in Fabian Delph from Man City permanently which would strengthen the midfield. Other needs are a right back, as Johnson hasn’t looked very steady in that position. Another striker would also strengthen the attack and provide options – something we’re going to have to address as Peter Crouch is really getting up there in age. Most in need though is a strong holding midfielder, and I would love to see this addressed properly with the funds brought in from the sale of Arnautovic.

So now everyone knows about what’s on the plate for Stoke this season! How do you all feel about your team's summer, and what challenges lie ahead in the 2017/2018 season?

Last edited by Delthefunky; 07-29-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man Uniteds third summer signing is going to be Nemanja Matic. Sky say the fee will be around £40m (yikes).

Simon Stone @sistoney67
Nemanja Matic to @ManUtd almost done. Confirmation might not be today but Jose has got his 'number three'

hats off if that is a photoshop.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fellaini not only plays today, but has a great game and scores.

While Galatasaray was rumoured to have acquired him.

Weird.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Fellaini not only plays today, but has a great game and scores.

While Galatasaray was rumoured to have acquired him.

Weird.
the claims were quickly shut down by Mourinho after the game.

Chris Winterburn ✔ @cmwinterburn
Mourinho on Fellaini, "It's easier for Galatasaray to get me than Marouane. He is too important to me. No chance."

too bad. Fans are going to lose it if United even decide to re-sign him.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little on my team:
Chelsea haven't really improved much, more minor upgrades. That being said, this is a title winning team, but depth may be a concern with a return to Europe.

Bakayoko upgrades Matic
Morata upgrades Costa (likely to leave soon)
Rudiger upgrades Terry (biggest upgrade)
Caballero in and Begovic out is minor, since they will only play meaningful games if Courtois is injured

Depth will be a big concern, unless some more signings come in.

It hurts me to say it, but I think Spurs still have the best starting XI, and City have depth, most noticeably in attack. Chelsea are in the middle - a starting XI that is good enough to win, with depth to rotate in, but the challenge of fighting on multiple fronts now with a return to the Champions League means that depth is stretched real fast. Any injuries to key players, then it is exposed even more.

I am really looking forward to seeing Morata play - I think he offers a lot to that front line. Conte is rumoured to be tweaking the formation too, so it will be interesting to see what he has up his sleeve.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matic official.
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...m-chelsea.aspx

The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

for an initial £35m. Could rise to £40m.

Probably not the most exciting signing of the summer, but I feel it's going to be a very important one. A midfield three with Matic and Herrera giving Pogba the license to be a creative outlet could work wonders.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Arsenal won the Emirates Cup

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Arsenal won the Emirates Cup
Yeah and surely you saw how that is tallied? They "won" but didn't win more games. I guess the treble is on though if they win the Community Shield this weekend!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

West Ham's summer transfer window went from nothing (and I was thinking a relegation battle was upcoming) to really exciting in a hurry. I'm intrigued by the upcoming season. I think Hart is a question mark in goal. He is not his former self.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
West Ham's summer transfer window went from nothing (and I was thinking a relegation battle was upcoming) to really exciting in a hurry. I'm intrigued by the upcoming season. I think Hart is a question mark in goal. He is not his former self.
Question mark alright. Adrian is better than Hart.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #12
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adrian saved them a ton of points next year

Hart is going to be starting for 2 teams he shouldnt be to start the season
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:06 PM   #13
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest transfer of the summer

Ac Jimbo leaves football Weekly on a free

Could be disastrous, they have a great stable of writers to choose from that rotate in but his hosting was the main reason it's the biggest sport podcast in the world I believe
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:06 PM   #14
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
for an initial £35m. Could rise to £40m.

Probably not the most exciting signing of the summer, but I feel it's going to be a very important one. A midfield three with Matic and Herrera giving Pogba the license to be a creative outlet could work wonders.
I am excited about this signing. Fits the team need to a tee. This caps off the midfield. Defense if they stay healthy is good enough especially if they add Aurier as well. Up front if they add Peresic and Zlatan comes back they should score more goals for sure.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:25 PM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want Perisic to close things off.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:34 AM   #16
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I really want Perisic to close things off.
Yes they could really use service for the big guy. Aurier apparently gets a lot of crosses in as well. Remember when they just used to pump the balls into Van Nistelrooy. Would love to see that again / making full use of having a Big strong striker.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 AM   #17
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt that Aurier is going to happen. His court case is on Monday and his chances of having his conviction overturned are pretty slim. If it is upheld, he won't get a visa for the UK. It's a shame because he's a fantastic right back, but by all accounts a bad teammate and a jackass.

I think they'll get Perisic at some point and call it a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 05:29 AM   #18
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have no issues meeting the price for Perisic now that United are looking at adding a new sponsor to their kit....Tinder. I think we all know it's inevitable that these kits will look like NASCAR uniforms (especially for United given their owners), but still kinda hilarious to see.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-01-2017 at 05:33 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM   #19
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Man City are taking a page out of the Pozzo book. After Man City, NY City and Melbourne City, the City Football Group are now close to taking over La Liga club FC Girona. The player shuffling has already started, with Man City sending 4 players (Maffeo, Garcia, Moreno and Luiz) there on loan today. Man City will also travel to Girona in mid August between two PL games and play a friendly against the new "family member".
Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #20
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ as I alluded to before, it's a big problem I think. Really bad news that this is allowed to happen.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote