Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
There is likely no reason to get actual satellite internet at this point, especially in Priddis. If it was a more remote location, it would possibly be the only option though.

Xplorenet currently uses 4G technology and Platinum uses WiMax, both of which are restricted by distance from tower, which I can't imagine would be an issue in Priddis for one or both of those providers.
Yes, my research indicates both of those would be options. They have digital phone service. Does that have a bearing on Jacks comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I was talking about the satellite, they usually transmit upstream using a landline.
IE: does the satellite (TV) need an actually hard "landline" or can it go through digital?

Also realized our alarm system goes through current landline.... oh so many things to consider...
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It means Jack's comments about a landline with satellite internet, which is different from wireless internet, are not relevant. Think of Wireless internet as the same thing as your smart phone uses, but plugged in so you can use it in your house. It might use some type of dish receiver, but the transmission towers are almost certainly sitting on the ground somewhere nearby, compared to in space, like a satellite. Real satellite internet, only does download through a satellite, and upload through what is essentially dialup modem, since you couldn't transfer back up to the satellite from your house.

Almost certainly, your phone, internet and TV (satelite) services will be unbundled and with separate providers.

Likely, you will end up with:
Bell or Shaw Direct for TV
Xplornet or Platinum for internet
Telus or VOIP solution for landline phone.

Keep in mind, even though Xplorenet and Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice) have recently started to use Shaw's branding, they are separate entities as far as services being offer.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-04-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

http://www.platinum.ca/residential-internet.html

Best part?

Quote:
Unlimited Data Usage; No limits No Worries!
Speed leaves a little to be desired though. Which is pretty common with rural providers. We used them for around 5 years when I lived in Alberta and they were decent enough.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I moved to the country 7 years ago and the inconvinience is minor. I'm in Sk, so the internet won't apply, but I am on WBB, Wireless Broadband, same thing as Explorenet and several other private companies offer. Sasktel is excellent, I have unlimited access and my speeds are similar to the old regular high speed in town. I can play xbox, ps3, with hardly any lag. bummmer is it costs more, I pay $60 a month, and had to buy the equipment. The private companies are similarly priced but you have to go on contract or the equipment is pricey.

Rogers and some other companies offer the data packages, which work over the cel network, but you are capped and they are pricey. Bonus is you can take the stick anywhere, so you can use your laptop in town, on trips, etc. Mind you most people have decent data packages on their cel phones so you usually don't need another mobile data device.

That said, if you have a good (read unlimited) data plan on your phone you can tether. I let the kids tether their tablets to keep the main line free for online gaming, and it's a nice backup if the service cuts out. This unfortunately happens occasionally no idea why. Weather?

Oh ya, you need good line of sight to the tower, so find out where it is in your area.

At least your not going back to the stone age!

I just got satelite tv at christmas, Shaw. It is what it is.

I love being out of town, so I can deal with the minor inconvienience.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My parents are on Platinum in the De Winton area. It's not cheap and not lightning quick, but compared to a few years ago it's a dream. My parents stream TVs and movies from their computer to their Apple TV without problem. Netflix gets a little pixelated from time to time, but not bad for the country.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to have Xplornet here in good old Stettler and it was just fine for anything until 4:30pm then it was down right aweful. From 4:30-6:00pm youtube videos in SD wouldn't even load, our debit machines would take so long that they would time out and resort to the dial-up function.

Also their customer support is very bad, as it they wouldn't let me cancel for 2 months after I originally asked on top of the bad tech support. They also charged me $25 bucks for them to come get their own equipment, yet wouldn't let me take it down myself and take it to them).

If you have another option for internet take it cause I would never recomend Xplornet to anyone.

(also was quite annoying having to explain to everyone that your email was spelled XPLORNET not explorenet)
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

I live on four acres southwest of the city.

Satellite Television no problem. If a big storm is overhead, you're doomed. Otherwise fine.

Have Xplornet for PC Internet for ten years which is consistent but slow.

Although only ten minutes out of Okotoks, Telus aircard doesn't work. Platinum is also unworkable. Drive five minutes or so south of my house and both probably work. Although we can see 80 km to the southwest, we are surrounded by hills otherwise. I have Telus 3G but that fades in and out, as though the wind is blowing it around. very bizarre. Mostly workable though.

I know people a few minutes west of Millarville who are stuck with dial up.

Just depends where you are.

Hope that helps.

Cowperson
Old 04-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Why not buy a cell phone repeater? You can get a decent unit for around $400 that will surely amplify your signal enough that you can use the cell network for internet if that is good enough for you.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
I live on four acres southwest of the city.

Satellite Television no problem. If a big storm is overhead, you're doomed. Otherwise fine.

Have Xplornet for PC Internet for ten years which is consistent but slow.

Although only ten minutes out of Okotoks, Telus aircard doesn't work. Platinum is also unworkable. Drive five minutes or so south of my house and both probably work. Although we can see 80 km to the southwest, we are surrounded by hills otherwise. I have Telus 3G but that fades in and out, as though the wind is blowing it around. very bizarre. Mostly workable though.

I know people a few minutes west of Millarville who are stuck with dial up.

Just depends where you are.

Hope that helps.

Cowperson
yeah, I think we might have some trial and error in our future. We are sort of tucked into a hillside. Our line of sight is barely 180, but it is a populated area so might be okay.

Looks like we are getting a dish with the house - Star Choice aka Shaw Direct. Must have worked before, so will go with that for TV.

Leaning toward Platinum for internet based on comments - will go without a contract in case it doesn't pan out.

Thanks everyone for you input; it has been helpful and educational.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #30
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I know people think Platinum is horrible considering the slow speeds and cost, but I highly recommend them.

We always got the speed advertised, never had a problem with billing, and their uptime was very good.

Quality of the connection(ping) was very normal as well. I was getting a consistent 50-60ms ping when I ran a Speed Test on a server in Calgary or Edmonton.

Satellite internet will give you a 300-500ms ping which makes it practically worthless for gaming. At least that is how it was before we switched to Platinum.

Plus, there are no usage restrictions for Platinum Internet. At one time they were considering adding something like a 300GB limit/month, but apparently have gone away from it.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether you go with Shaw, Bell or Telus satellite TV, they should give a free install so it doesn't matter what dish is attached to your home right now. The Shaw dish you have may even be outdated.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #32
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in the Priddis area and have used Platinum for going on 6 or 7 years. While you will not get the same speeds as cable offers in the city, the service none the less is very good. Support is also very good.

You can stream whatever with little difficulty.

Another choice in the Priddis area is DaVinci.

We used to get TV service through Shaw, well actually it was Star Choice but Shaw bought them out.

We still have a land line and would really highly recommend anyone in the country to keep one if you live in the foothills. Telus phoned us up late last year and now we have our phone, cell phones, and TV service all bundled with them.

We pay about $50 monthly for internet (no usage restrictions, signed 3 year contract), and $90 monthly for land phone, two cell phones and Telus TV, so about $140 in total per month.

EDIT: I should add that we get a static IP address included in the fee I quoted for internet service.

Last edited by redforever; 04-07-2013 at 02:16 PM.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #33
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My parents have been on platinum for 5 years or so just outside of Ponoka.. Seeing the comments recommending them in this thread, I would simply say avoid a contract at all costs until you know what you are getting and find it acceptable.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Yes, my research indicates both of those would be options. They have digital phone service. Does that have a bearing on Jacks comments?

IE: does the satellite (TV) need an actually hard "landline" or can it go through digital?

Also realized our alarm system goes through current landline.... oh so many things to consider...
No.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #35
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys, I see this thread is really old and need of an update.

I'm moving my family to an acreage in the Priddis area (great LTE cell coverage in area) soon and we're wondering what internet service is recommended for 2018.

My investigation has shown that telus smart hub and xplornet might be the best bet but both seem to be hit or miss depending on your area. Any advice would be most welcome!
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #36
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We are a bit south of you and only had the option of xplornet when we first moved in as we don’t have cell service. Very nice customer service, but the product was terrible. Luckily, telus upgraded their infrastructure in our community so we are able to get high speed through them now.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #37
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
We are a bit south of you and only had the option of xplornet when we first moved in as we don’t have cell service. Very nice customer service, but the product was terrible. Luckily, telus upgraded their infrastructure in our community so we are able to get high speed through them now.
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like Telus it is! I'll report back once we get possession in the spring
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #38
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh god, I thought she was back for a minute there.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #39
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I had no choice but to use xplornet, but it's been pretty good. I've been keeping my eye on CCI wireless, but I'm still not quite in their range. Call Telus in advance and make sure they'll give you the wireless package where you are. I'm outside of city limits, but closer to city towers than rural towers, so they wouldn't give me the 80gig package. They were going to charge me more for 4gigs.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #40
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

We live in central Alberta in a valley so our options were limited we use xplornet and I don't have any complaints really our package is 25 mb/s with a 500gb cap I can game no problem and we constantly stream Netflix and you tube with no problems but the 25 mb/s is a total lie we are lucky to get 12-16 mb/s the cost is around 100$ per month
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye bye city , rural living , satellite internet , satellite tv