Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #1521
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Draisaitl giving me two more reasons last night as to why I was aboard the Drai > Monahan wagon.

Just an incredible player.

https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/966872591129509888
https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/966894455029612548

Monahan is great too, and a top ~15ish C in his own regard but I think Drai is just flat out more skilled while also playing a heavier game. I think most would pretty much agree as well if Drai happened to play elsewhere and outside of Western Canada. Monahan is clearly the better shooter / goal scorer though.
Sick man, I also love using specifically picked out GIFs cumulating 20 seconds of a player's career to illustrate my points.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePrince For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #1522
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted Bennett over Draisaitl in the draft.

Monahan gets overlooked sometimes because he isn't flashy, but the guy just produces like clockwork.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #1523
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Draisaitl giving me two more reasons last night as to why I was aboard the Drai > Monahan wagon.

Just an incredible player.

https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/966872591129509888
https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/966894455029612548

Monahan is great too, and a top ~15ish C in his own regard but I think Drai is just flat out more skilled while also playing a heavier game. I think most would pretty much agree as well if Drai happened to play elsewhere and outside of Western Canada. Monahan is clearly the better shooter / goal scorer though.
I'm in total agreement, I would love to have Draisaitl on our team. I'm not too much of a homer to admit that he's better than Monahan. He's a ppg player, better even strength scorer, he's better at faceoffs and is a superior playmaker which we need more of on this team. At $8.5M though, Monahan might have the slightest of edges. Monahan really needs to start being stronger on the puck and protecting it better when transitioning it up the ice.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #1524
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow way to ruin this thread....
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #1525
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I'm in total agreement, I would love to have Draisaitl on our team. I'm not too much of a homer to admit that he's better than Monahan. He's a ppg player, better even strength scorer, he's better at faceoffs and is a superior playmaker which we need more of on this team. At $8.5M though, Monahan might have the slightest of edges. Monahan really needs to start being stronger on the puck and protecting it better when transitioning it up the ice.
Yeah, I'd totally trade Monahan's 28 goals for Draisaitl's 18. Or his 57 points for Draisaitl's 54. "Better at faceoffs"? Not over his career, methinks, and Monahan takes every faceoff on his line, unlike Draisaitl. Monahan is clutch, look at his GWG numbers.

Your preference is simply for playing style. But if Monahan played wing, I suspect you'd see more protecting the puck as he moves up ice. As it is he is in the middle, not against the boards, more often than not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #1526
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

11 reasons I really like Sean Monahan

For the record that is 10 more than Draisaitl.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #1527
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is criminally underrated here.. its absurd.

I'm taking Monahan over Draisaitl every day of the week ~ he's a more complete player.

Ill use an argument so many here use for players here they want to see traded ~ Draisaitl has definitely benefitted when he sees time playing wing with McDavid ~ he looks close to average when he plays without him.

Also just based on current salaries I take Monahan every single time and start the car right after ~ he is on a steal of a contract that is clearly not considered in the above from Classic Sniper.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #1528
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Sean Monahan is better and more valuable than every single player who has ever played for the Oilers. Why? Because Sean Monahan has never played for the Oilers.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #1529
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrince View Post
Sick man, I also love using specifically picked out GIFs cumulating 20 seconds of a player's career to illustrate my points.
NHL.com ranked Drai ahead of Monahan coming into this season and he’s still outpacing him again this season with less to work with. Drai has spent about half of his time with McDavid and about the other half running center rotating with literal garbage on his wings like Khaira/Lucic/Strome/Puljujarvi/Caggiula/Slepyshev. I know it’s hurts a lot of the posters on this site in their chest to give the Oilers any semblance credit (I get it, rivalries)... I despise them too, but I can be objective and note how skilled of a player Draisaitl is.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #1530
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
11 reasons I really like Sean Monahan

For the record that is 10 more than Draisaitl.
Like his clutch ‘gwg’ last night that he got because Kevin Connauton scored a nothing goal with 90 seconds left in the hockey game lol. But Draisaitl literally turning nothing into something and setting up an open net tap in for the actual game winner doesn’t get credit in that category. Nothing stat imo.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #1531
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Ill use an argument so many here use for players here they want to see traded ~ Draisaitl has definitely benefitted when he sees time playing wing with McDavid ~ he looks close to average when he plays without him.
You can use the same argument against Monahan.

He scored at a 40 point pace when Gaudreau missed 10 games last season.

I think players for the most part score the amount of points that their talent allows them to.

If they play on a first line with other talented players they will score more than in other situations, but Ovechkin scored 90-100 points playing with Chris Clark and he scored 90-100 points playing with Nick Backstrom.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 02-23-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #1532
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like his clutch ‘gwg’ last night that he got because Kevin Connauton scored a nothing goal with 90 seconds left in the hockey game lol. But Draisaitl literally turning nothing into something and setting up an open net tap in for the actual game winner doesn’t get credit in that category. Nothing stat imo.
GWG is a nothing stat? Oh you you're so adorable.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #1533
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Right because if we know anything about Monahan, it's that the stats that show he's a clutch game winning goal scorer are all smoke and mirrors.

What's objective about weighing in on a player you're admittedly not watching? After yesterday's gem in the game thread about how you've given up on the Flames, no longer watch them play and are only in the GT to laugh at people... you're now saying you do watch Oilers games?

Coming here to ensure everyone knows you've stopped watching the games and to continuously pump Draisaitl's tires... wow. That's sure something.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #1534
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I agree not every GWG is equal. A go ahead goal that becomes the GWG is worth more IMO than a 3-1 goal that ends up being the winner in a 5-2 game.

However, his current 10 OT goal statistic is pretty incredible.

OT leaders since 2012-2013:
  1. Monahan = 10 in 380 games
  2. Ovechkin = 10 in 429 games
  3. Carter = 9 in 367 games
  4. Marchand = 9 in 406 games

Keep in mind Monahan didn't even play in the 2012-2013 season, yet he's still in the lead if I include that NHL season.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #1535
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also RE: Mony/Drai - Drai was a 3rd overall pick. We've never had the "fortune" of being terrible enough to have a 3rd overall pick. So why compare Mony to someone we couldn't draft anyway?

PS - I'd rather have Mony. We already have a 1st line setup man in Johnny. I'd rather have a finisher in Mony paired with him.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #1536
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Right because if we know anything about Monahan, it's that the stats that show he's a clutch game winning goal scorer are all smoke and mirrors.

What's objective about weighing in on a player you're admittedly not watching? After yesterday's gem in the game thread about how you've given up on the Flames, no longer watch them play and are only in the GT to laugh at people... you're now saying you do watch Oilers games?

Coming here to ensure everyone knows you've stopped watching the games and to continuously pump Draisaitl's tires... wow. That's sure something.
I can be much more productive with my time and do something I enjoy rather than watch this team bore me to death on the ice and then inevitably lose. I still follow the team, watch all the post game recaps, read through the opinions of the GT’s & PGT’s on here and on HF, watch the highlight packages etc. I just save myself a lot of time and emotion by choosing to skip games (more recently now than ever in my life). I’ve never been like this, I’m the only hockey fan in my household and I would strongarm the remote for three hours of my life every second night just to watch this team play win or lose. For years. And it’s not like the Flames have ever been an elite team in that time period either. This season hasn’t really felt the same to me. Maybe it was my expectations for the Flames, but not only have they been painfully boring to watch, but it just seemed like they were out there playing with no emotion and dying in the night a lot of the time. This isn’t a team that has shown the ability to overcome a lot of adversity, almost polar opposite the 2015 squad. There’s that typical Flames loss that you can smell coming a mile away aka: when they go from leading in the game to trailing by 1 in the 3rd, most of us know it’s over.

Anyways I’ve watched probably 90% of the games Monahan has played in his lifetime as a Calgary Flame so you can save me your holier than thou.

Last edited by Love; 02-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #1537
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I can be much more productive with my time and do something I enjoy rather than watch this team bore me to death on the ice and then inevitably lose. I still follow the team, watch all the post game recaps, read through the opinions of the GT’s & PGT’s on here and on HF, watch the highlight packages etc. I just save myself a lot of time and emotion by choosing to skip games (more recently now than ever in my life). I’ve never been like this, I’m the only hockey fan in my household and I would strongarm the remote for three hours of my life every second night just to watch this team play win or lose. For years. And it’s not like the Flames have ever been an elite team in that time period either. This season hasn’t really felt the same to me. Maybe it was my expectations for the Flames, but not only have they been painfully boring to watch, but it just seemed like they were out there playing with no emotion and dying in the night a lot of the time. This isn’t a team that has shown the ability to overcome a lot of adversity, almost polar opposite the 2015 squad. There’s that typical Flames loss that you can smell coming a mile away aka: when they go from leading in the game to trailing by 1 in the 3rd, most of us know it’s over.

Anyways I’ve watched probably 90% of the games Monahan has played in his lifetime as a Calgary Flame so you can save me your holier than thou.

No one but you can decide what productive uses of your time are. The "I'm so disappointed and disinterested I can't watch" bit is odd, but whatever floats your boat.

However this is now the second thread in the last month you've turned into a Draisaitl love fest. I think we get it, you like him a lot. Not sure how it's any more relevant in a Monahan thread than it was a a discussion about Centres (something Drai is not) but I digress.

Just not buying the "GwG" are useless stats bit. Monahan is as clutch a goal-scorer as they come.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #1538
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mony over Drai also due to the fact that apparently Drai is not the best locker room guy according to several Edmonton sources.
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #1539
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

What the hell is going on in this thread?
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #1540
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I agree not every GWG is equal. A go ahead goal that becomes the GWG is worth more IMO than a 3-1 goal that ends up being the winner in a 5-2 game.

However, his current 10 OT goal statistic is pretty incredible.

OT leaders since 2012-2013:
  1. Monahan = 10 in 380 games
  2. Ovechkin = 10 in 429 games
  3. Carter = 9 in 367 games
  4. Marchand = 9 in 406 games

Keep in mind Monahan didn't even play in the 2012-2013 season, yet he's still in the lead if I include that NHL season.
OT goals are a nothing stat.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah