Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #6501
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
any chance he is using some kind of gps watch (i.e. a garmin) with a data feed over to strava?
Possibly. His Strava rides show he's using the "Strava Android App". Could be an Android watch. I'm not familiar with Android products.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #6502
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone else hit up the Winter Bike Photo Booth a few weeks ago? Pictures are posted on the city's flickr page now:

_I1A5357 by City of Calgary, on Flickr

Check out my highly reflective thumb on that mitt All about the duct tape repairs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #6503
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, I did, my photo is in there!

I have been incredible unmotivated lately with riding. The -20c weather i'm over. I kind of injured myself over the weekend and was trying to force my body to heal, which it hasn't really, and i had the road bike in for service this week in anticipation of nicer weather so i haven't been riding the trainer at all. Today was the first ride in a week. You guys are amazing for pushing through when it is -20c or colder, it's so much of a mental game and it's easy to psych yourself out I think.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #6504
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me the biggest thing is having everything ready to go the night before. Then it's just a simple matter of getting out of bed, into the bike clothes and off I go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #6505
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

this morning was brutal for me, everything was all over the place since i haven't ridden in a week. not a good way to start
Old 02-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #6506
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up for anyone riding today, pathways that are exposed to the west may have received some good snow drifts from the wind yesterday and today. I had to walk a few parts of Fox Hollow hill due to the drifts, some as deep as a foot.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #6507
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really de in fish creek today and the trails are in great shape. Hard, smooth and about 18 inches wide.

For the first time I also rode along the creek bed, it was a different perspective of the park.

Tough ride to fish, as I was riding into the wind through bow bottom flats. Made great time on the way back though.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #6508
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm building up a bikepacking rig right now, this has been my winter project.

Have installed:
  • M8000 bottom bracket
  • XT cranks
  • Blackspire 32T chainring
  • Cane Creek 40 headset
  • Thomson Elite X4 stem
  • Jones SG bars
  • Surly Troll fork
  • XT Medium cage rear derailleur
  • Avid speed dial 7 levers
  • Ergon cork grips
  • Thomson Elite post
  • WTB Pure Race saddle
Setting up tubeless wheels as we speak:
  • 26" Blunt 35's
  • WTB Ranger 3.0 front
  • Surly Extraterrestrial 2.5 rear

https://imgur.com/o6UH0VQ

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikepacking...the_way_there/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #6509
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Anyone looking for a Wahoo Kickr Snap? I have a line on a basically unused (maybe 150-200km) one for $600. Retails for $850.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #6510
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

My trip south was a bit of a disaster. I rode one day down there. I planned on more, the weather wasn't very co-operative. 50 mph winds on day two, then the temperature plummeted. Feeling disappointed in myself that I didn't just get out there and ride anyway.

Now I'm home and I still need to fix my bike up and get my ass back into the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #6511
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Some big puddles on the south side of the zoo! Riding conditions are fine aside from that. Bit rutted and frozen solid in sections but not too bad overall.

On an annoying note, my rear light somehow rattled off its holder last evening. No big loss since it gave me 5+ years of riding, and its battery was shot to the point where I had to charge every day and run it on its lowest pulse setting when it's cold out. Any recommendations for a replacement? I prefer something that's easy to detach daily for topping up (although in this case, I guess being easily detached led to losing it...) Something that can be mounted to my rear rack instead of my seatpost would be a plus.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #6512
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only puddle I don't care for around the zoo right now is the one under the new pedestrian bridge. Deep in the middle so I slow right down and go along the south side to stay on the harder ice. Lots of bell ringing before in case someone is coming the opposite direction.

As for rear lights, I have a couple of those cheaper USB chargeable Lezyne ones, think they still have them at Ridley's:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Lezyne-KTV-Dr...ght/3012044680
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #6513
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought one like this from ebay for less than $20:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRO-...578110b1b7d578

I believe serfas (or one of the name brand manufacturers) makes a more solid unit for around $60 from what I recall when I was doing the shopping
Old 02-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #6514
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm kind of glad the Tour of Alberta didn't go through Calgary now:

Tour of Alberta leaves $1.6 million wave of debt in its wake

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...t-in-its-wake/

Quote:
The Alberta Peloton Association, the organisation formed specifically to promote the UCI 2.1 race, claimed $1,615,408 in outstanding liabilities against $19,410 of assets, all of which come from "machinery and equipment." The Alberta Peloton Association claims it has no cash on hand or any other assets, according to the documents.

Hotels for teams, staff and the large entourage necessary to put on the race make up the lion’s share of the debt, with the Edmonton Westin, which housed the race entourage for multiple days in 2017 and 2016, owed $214,497, according to the document. Medallist Sports, the US company hired to manage the event, is owed $68,571.

Other major debts include $177,644 owed to television production company 3G Wireless, $27,198 owed to the City of Edmonton, $41,681 owed to a commercial tent rental company, $155,685 owed to M31 Design Group, $92,025 to television logistics company NEP and $65,880 owed to the World Triathlon Corporation, which shared a venue with the race in 2016.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #6515
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Figured this is a good place to start. My wife and I were looking at picking up a couple of bikes. We're pretty much going to use it for leisure and stick mostly to paved roads. Pretty much another way for us to become more active. Probably looking to pay $1,500 in total.

I was thinking of Sportchek, but was wondering if there are any suggestions on which shops to look at?
Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #6516
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not go to sportchek or any sort of big box sporting goods store. Stay away, crappy bikes, crappy parts.

Go to your local bike shop. I highly recommend Bike Bike on 17 ave SW for leisure/city bikes. Sean really knows his stuff and will have a ton of stuff in that price range. Please please please please please do not go to sportchek.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #6517
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I went to Lifesport last spring for my hybrid bike. Spent just under $500 for a decent one.
http://www.lifesportshop.com/

Upon advice from here I avoided Sportchek and Canadian Tire. Glad I did. My wife insisted on going to Sportchek for hers. Not that her's is so bad, but there is a definite difference in quality and performance. For example there are times where I am coasting and have to ease onto my brakes, and she has to keep peddling to keep pace with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #6518
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the advice guys. I shouldn't even have mentioned sportchek lol.

We live in the southside, any local bike shops there?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #6519
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Bike Shop on Macleod (formerly Cycle Path) is a great shop with lots of selection.

You can see all the bikes they have on sale:
https://thebikeshop.com/product-list...on-sale-pg425/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #6520
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for the bike shop south. I have spent a lot of money at this shop and my only regret is how I did not just buy the bike I wanted in the first place.