Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #21
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I'm with you. No assets should be spent on a rental, however if a hockey deal is there for an age appropriate player (mid-late? 20's) that fits our biggest hole organizationally (scoring winger), then yeah - you do it. You don't do it because it's the trade deadline, but you do it because it's what this team needs.

...and as you said, we're loaded with very strong defensive prospects, and the market shows they hold a lot of value. Could be a fun trade ahead.

What pisses me off more than anything this year is the use of Troy Brouwer - specifically on the PP. Dougie Hamilton should have been on the 1st PP unit from day 1 - yet didn't get there until February. That's not cool.

On the Bruins front - I really hope this trade is a step towards the Bruins signing Iggy. If that happens, I'll instantly be heavily invested in the Eastern Conference playoffs. I want to see the storybook ending for Jarome, assuming it doesn't come at the cost of the Calgary Flames losing.
Man I know ~ Dougie is at 14 goals now.. He could have 20 easy if they used him on the back end of the PP like they have been lately. Definitely a miss on the coaching staff and those types of misses are frustrating because they seem to be an annual occurrence.

Too I have to say quickly off topic but I hate that bump back play now ~ it's overused not just by us but by the league; its five on four I'd like to see them try and win board battles than have the forward unit standing still waiting for Johnny to take the drop pass of the rushing D and can entry. It's Might Ducks movie esque and its painful at times.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Hate to break it to you...we ain't getting a 1st and a roster player for Bennett.
2 1sts and 2 roster players?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Honestly, if the Flames came out now and said they are listening to offers on Ferland, there would be a MASSIVE bidding war where I feel the flames make out like bandits.

Doesnt mean I support trading Ferland... but man, I could see him being one of the most coveted pieces at this years deadline.

He is the epitome of Jack of all trades, master of none and players fear him. He can play up and down a lineup. He can be the setup man, the trigger man, the crash and banger and the sheriff all in one game. Only question mark is consistency. Teams are willing to gamble on that I think based on what he has shown thus far.
You're hired. Now just make a door to door circuit to each NHL club and say exactly that.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #24
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Then why trade him? The worst thing we could do is sell low on the highest overall pick in franchise history.

If Vatrano (2G in 25 games after an 18 point rookie season) nets a mid 3rd rounder Bennett should easily be able to fetch what I mentioned considering his pedigree, age and draft position. Boston is buying the player in a Bennett to Boston scenario and I sure as hell hope we aren't just giving him away for a 2nd round pick or middling prospect.
Don't think anyone gives a rats arse about a player's pedigree and draft position if he's not performing to expectations and is showing to be a bust. Bennett ain't worth a first round draft pick at the moment. If Treliving pulls a rabbit out of the hat and gets a legit 1st line right winger for Bennett, that would be a true magical moment in Flames history. But who knows, trade deadline is looming.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #25
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Bennett's value is more closely comparable to what we paid for Lazar which is a 2nd, just due to the fact that both are first rounds picks and he has actually appeared to regress this year like Lazar before he was eventually traded. While a 1st rounder you're more likely to hit, a 2nd is easier to swallow in a trade for a untapped potential player as its more likely the player will turn it around than a 2nd rounder developing imo.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
I think Bennett's value is more closely comparable to what we paid for Lazar which is a 2nd, just due to the fact that both are first rounds picks and he has actually appeared to regress this year like Lazar before he was eventually traded. While a 1st rounder you're more likely to hit, a 2nd is easier to swallow in a trade for a untapped potential player as its more likely the player will turn it around than a 2nd rounder developing imo.
So everyone is just going to continue to push this regression angle without any context or understanding of circumstance.

It's no wonder Canadian organizations struggle to build teams properly with fan pressure being what it is. Impatience is all over the place.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #27
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
You're hired. Now just make a door to door circuit to each NHL club and say exactly that.
Yeah, no doubt... lol
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So everyone is just going to continue to push this regression angle without any context or understanding of circumstance.

It's no wonder Canadian teams struggle to build teams properly with fan pressure being what it is. Impatience is all over the place.
Regression doesn't mean what you think it means...he can still turn things around. I didn't say he was a bust, but he isn't playing smart hockey, which is the least he could be doing right now in his 3rd season.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's no wonder Canadian organizations struggle to build teams properly with fan pressure being what it is. Impatience is all over the place.
Lower your goddam prices then during the down years at least. Fans might be more patient.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #30
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the benefits of a superstar (JG) is that he makes the people who play with him better.

From an asset management perspective, it might make sense to capitalize on that by flipping them once in awhile.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #31
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bruins going for it AND adding picks.

I guess it is possible.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #32
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Honestly, if the Flames came out now and said they are listening to offers on Ferland, there would be a MASSIVE bidding war where I feel the flames make out like bandits.

Doesnt mean I support trading Ferland... but man, I could see him being one of the most coveted pieces at this years deadline.

He is the epitome of Jack of all trades, master of none and players fear him. He can play up and down a lineup. He can be the setup man, the trigger man, the crash and banger and the sheriff all in one game. Only question mark is consistency. Teams are willing to gamble on that I think based on what he has shown thus far.
Huh? You're offering up a known commodity that every team wants and a top 6 player who has been improving since he has cracked the lineup a few years ago for likely a low end #1 draft that can end up like Bennett. Why don't the Flames offer up Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau and whoever we think can get us back a lot of high quality draft choices?

Treliving wanted truculence - Ferland gives the team just that and more. Not sure why you'd want to trade a player like that when you already have it. Kind of a head scratcher.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #33
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't a secret in Boston that Frank Vatrano was looking for a move elsewhere after falling behind other wingers on the depth chart this season.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #34
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Huh? You're offering up a known commodity that every team wants and a top 6 player who has been improving since he has cracked the lineup a few years ago for likely a low end #1 draft that can end up like Bennett. Why don't the Flames offer up Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau and whoever we think can get us back a lot of high quality draft choices?

Treliving wanted truculence - Ferland gives the team just that and more. Not sure why you'd want to trade a player like that when you already have it. Kind of a head scratcher.
Because he doesn't bring it near enough
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote