Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #1541
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hahaha! Diving for penalties and they still couldnt win!

How many times are they going to trot out their first team to try and beat a League One side?

Harry Kane must love playing in front of about 8500 people in the suburbs of Manchester.
There was contact and even the defender knew it. And yeah, sucks to have the replay because the last thing we needed was another game wedged in. But at least that dagger wasn’t one to put us out. Who are you guys playing next round again?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #1542
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There was contact and even the defender knew it. And yeah, sucks to have the replay because the last thing we needed was another game wedged in. But at least that dagger wasn’t one to put us out. Who are you guys playing next round again?
Look, I know it took 2 dives and 2 bogus penalties just to draw Liverpool and thats an accomplishment! It only took 1 dive and 1 penalty to draw Rochdale, a team I've never even heard of before.

You have to look at the positives! Thats progress!

Ol' Poch might be unhappy that they arent hitting their '3 dives per game' quota, but he'll work on that in training I'm sure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #1543
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You see the difference between Ali selling his dive, and going to ground immediately, and the hit from behind on Henderson?

Ali would've hit paydirt with that hit. Henderson though, stays up. Again, systemic to Spurs. I'm beating the horse here, but Spurs again take points, to cheating.

It's at 1:10, and you'll need to watch it soon before it's taken down.

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #1544
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
You see the difference between Ali selling his dive, and going to ground immediately, and the hit from behind on Henderson?

Ali would've hit paydirt with that hit. Henderson though, stays up. Again, systemic to Spurs. I'm beating the horse here, but Spurs again take points, to cheating.

I didnt realize that Spurs needed a diving penalty just to draw the worst team in League 1.

And wow...what a dive. Even the commentators couldnt sell that one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #1545
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post

First of all, that's not a dive by Alli. There was contact, and he went down. Could he have worked harder to keep his feet? Probably. That's the overall scourge of the game these days though.

And again, this isn't new and isn't something specific to Spurs. Last week it was your own Smalling who dove, was carded and Newcastle scored on that free kick. Literally every team has players who do this, and there is one reason why...it works. I recognize that Alli is the focus at this point, but it's not peculiar to Spurs at all. I know you're trying to implicate that this is taught at the club, or condoned. Where was the criticism from Mourinho last week though? He didn't seem to have any issue with it at all.

And yeah, Henderson probably should've gone to ground there, and would've had a kick from the spot. I don't know what you want me to say; that's how the game is officiated at this point. You would be of the exact same opinion here if that was any United player because we all know, including the players, that if you feel contact in the box you can't keep your feet and get the call. You don't have to like that (I don't), but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen that way.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #1546
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, that's not a dive by Alli. There was contact, and he went down.
And there you have it. As simple as that. If there is contact it cannot be a dive!

It was a dive.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #1547
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite part about people calling out other teams players for dives is them acting like their own teams also don't do the same thing. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs, etc all have guys that do exactly what Alli did.

It's a problem across all of soccer, and it's despicable, but I honestly don't blame the players since they know they can get away with it.

Leagues need to do more on the post game to try and get rid of it. Go to video after the game and if a player is caught diving it should be a warning after the first time, and then a 1 game suspension after the second. With the penalty escalating after that.

I'm sure these guys would stop doing it every game if they knew they were going to have to miss a week.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #1548
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
My favourite part about people calling out other teams players for dives is them acting like their own teams also don't do the same thing. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Spurs, etc all have guys that do exactly what Alli did.

It's a problem across all of soccer, and it's despicable, but I honestly don't blame the players since they know they can get away with it.

Leagues need to do more on the post game to try and get rid of it. Go to video after the game and if a player is caught diving it should be a warning after the first time, and then a 1 game suspension after the second. With the penalty escalating after that.

I'm sure these guys would stop doing it every game if they knew they were going to have to miss a week.
I agree with the overall point. The thing with Alli is just that he's had too many "despicable" moments in his young career already, and it's not just dives either. It's the added punching, tackling, flipping off etc. that make Alli a very unpopular player among other teams' fans, so it's no wonder everybody immediately jumps when Alli dives again.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #1549
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I dont think anyone has said 'nobody on my team dives.'

I havent seen that written anywhere. And I wouldnt make that claim of my own team. Lots of players go down easy. They've made the reward worth it because the risk is a yellow card or a stern talking to. Theres almost no downside.

Some just do it more than others and in some cases (Spurs, RE: Pochettino remarks, Alli, Kane, etc.) its systemic and encouraged as opposed to situational and discouraged.

But at the end of the day it should be discussed, because your attitude in your post is:

If it cant be perfect then dont bother at all.

'If someone on your team dives then you cant say anything about players on other teams diving.'

And that attitude is effectively what got the game in this situation in the first place.

Look no further than Pochetino's remarks. He fully considers diving and 'tricking the referees' to be just part of the game.

As a fan of the game I want a hard stop put to that BS right now. Across the board. I dont care if my team suffers as a result of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #1550
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great goal by Grigg. Waited forever and let City dominate the ball, but converted the one chance and the rigged draw is about to get blown up.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #1551
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Power booked for timewasting. Lol

Poor FA. They had planned this so well!
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #1552
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally we get a Wigan-Rochdale Final just for the FA to really feel the pain.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #1553
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Max Power booked for timewasting. Lol

Poor FA. They had planned this so well!
Hes the name you want to touch but must not touch!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 03:26 PM   #1554
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont think anyone has said 'nobody on my team dives.'

I havent seen that written anywhere. And I wouldnt make that claim of my own team. Lots of players go down easy. They've made the reward worth it because the risk is a yellow card or a stern talking to. Theres almost no downside.

Some just do it more than others and in some cases (Spurs, RE: Pochettino remarks, Alli, Kane, etc.) its systemic and encouraged as opposed to situational and discouraged.

But at the end of the day it should be discussed, because your attitude in your post is:

If it cant be perfect then dont bother at all.

'If someone on your team dives then you cant say anything about players on other teams diving.'

And that attitude is effectively what got the game in this situation in the first place.

Look no further than Pochetino's remarks. He fully considers diving and 'tricking the referees' to be just part of the game.

As a fan of the game I want a hard stop put to that BS right now. Across the board. I dont care if my team suffers as a result of it.
I know it’s a manager for the other team for most of you here, but that’s not entirely what Poch is saying. He’s saying that this has been happening for years, and it’s on both sides. The idea that this is only foreign players (which has definitely been put forward at times) is false, and he gave the example of him being the victim of this in the World Cup against England. He also didn’t say Spurs were practising this, he said that back when he played this was practiced...which was what, 25 years ago? Anyway, onto more hilarious topics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Ideally we get a Wigan-Rochdale Final just for the FA to really feel the pain.
Rochdale is about to go to Wembley and full credit to them. They came forward and actually played the game yesterday, which is more than could be said about some of our bus-parking opponents this year! That said, they’re going out. It’s great for them because the replay gives them a chunk of money and probably sets them up financially for a while, and they showed some great moxie by making it this deep.

But man, the multi-billion dollar club that bought ever kudo they have dropping out to third-tier Wigan is just so great. I hope they beat Southampton now and keep that rolling.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #1555
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll respond for myself but I am not in denial that Utd have had their divers but I don't recall ever attempting to justify it. Nor anyone else for that matter. I do recall for the case of Young SAF acknowledging it and saying he was going to talk to him about it and Keane calling him a disgrace to Man U.

Compared to managers glorifying it or ignorant fans that don't realize it is a contact sport and trying to justify it.

It's encouraged by Spurs....embraced. Yes, other teams have/had them but there is not the same level of attempting to justify the behaviour. That is the difference for me.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #1556
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I'll respond for myself but I am not in denial that Utd have had their divers but I don't recall ever attempting to justify it. Nor anyone else for that matter. I do recall for the case of Young SAF acknowledging it and saying he was going to talk to him about it and Keane calling him a disgrace to Man U.

Compared to managers glorifying it or ignorant fans that don't realize it is a contact sport and trying to justify it.

It's encouraged by Spurs....embraced. Yes, other teams have/had them but there is not the same level of attempting to justify the behaviour. That is the difference for me.
It isn’t encouraged by Spurs. They’re no different than any other club in this topic, end of story.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #1557
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #1558
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #1559
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roses are red
Manchesters blue
If it wasnt for sheik mansor
You'd be in league two

(Someone posted that in the comments section on BBC Match Report)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #1560
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roses are Red
Wigan is Blue
Watch out for Sergio
He knows Kung Fu