Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default I'm debating a reburbished Mac, thoughts?

I desire a desktop (I started a thread a few months back but with Christmas, and car troubles, I haven't got around to getting a new computer).

I've recently started using a few Macs and really like the. (Dad picked up an Air the other week).

What are people's thoughts on the mini? How about refurbished? Is there somewhere besides the Apple store to look? (Keeping in mind I'm not local)

Toying with the idea, but want some input.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Are refurbished Apple's common? Apple keeps a pretty tight leash on it's brand. Even in other stores, they have a Apple section. You don't really find prize wars between stores with Apple for this reason. Their price point is guarded closely. If they have a sale, it's everywhere, and if not, then nowhere.

But I guess refurbished might be different. I just never seen one, but they could exist.

Just for general opinion I'd say computers change so quickly, why bother going refurbished?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I have a refurbished Air and iMac and haven't had any hardware issues on either.

I recently did a clean install on my iMac after a year and a half of heavy use.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Daradon, refurbished Macs are only available from their website: http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought a refurbished MacBook Pro from the Apple website. Works like a brand new computer. I don't recall if I knew the reason for the refurb or not (return, bad packaging, dinged case, etc), but I have absolutely no complaints.

I'm actually in the same market as you (desktop Apple) and will go the refurb route again if/when I make the purchase.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Well there you go! I would definitely trust a refurbished Apple more than a refurbished PC as, like I said, they keep a very tight leash on their brand.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Milt Schmidt
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I bought a refurbished macbook a few years ago, and a refurbished imac for my mom about a year and a half ago. We had no problems with either of them.

Milt
Milt Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too have had nothing but good experiences with refurbished Apple stuff. I've personally owned a couple of iMacs and have several friends that have bought refurbs and nothing but good experiences. I know of only one problem among all those machines and that was a hard drive that failed but it was still under warranty and was replaced promptly.

One of the refurbished iMacs I bought is now nearly 6 years old and still runs flawlessly and hasn't had a single problem in that time. Personally I wouldn't even consider buying a new Mac without checking the refurbished stuff first to see if there was something suitable.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My wife and I both use refurbed MacBooks (Ive got a PRO). They both have run perfect since we got them. Saved a few hundred dollars too.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't think I've ever seen a refurbished anything from Apple that didn't look brand new.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Refurbished mac products are great value. I've bought many, they seem brand new and they have the exact same warranty as the new products, and best of all you don't pay quite the same outlandish prices for them. I see no downside to buying mac refurbs.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Count me in the "refurbs are great" crowd as well. Honestly at this point I'll take a refurb over "new" 9 times outta 10. Unless there's a specific cutting edge feature (EG: retina display, SSD) you want/need the refurb is the way to go.

Let's put it this way, I work in an agency that's 100% mac based, we only ever buy refurbs.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought a refurb macbook. Had a bummed DVD drive but took it to mac repair shop and had it fixed in a day. This was before apple stores! It sort of works to this very day! It has had a painful life since 2008
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
You don't really find prize wars between stores with Apple for this reason. Their price point is guarded closely.
There are no price wars because there is next to no margin on Apple products as a reseller. If you match Apple's pricing, you are looking at maybe a 3% margin. Spend more than a few minutes selling a Mac, you likely lost money.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Unless there's a specific cutting edge feature (EG: retina display, SSD) you want/need the refurb is the way to go.
You can find retina macbooks in 13 and 15" sizes on the refurb page for 15% off list.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its like brand new. Bought few refurbs from Apple's website. No issues at all.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple's refurbished machines are basically brand new, but didn't pass quality tests for rather simple things, such as the packaging is dinged or scratched.

My office had about 15 iMacs 24" from about 4 years ago. They were all refurbished and we were assured that there wasn't anything wrong with the refurbished machines. We've seen about 6 hard drive failurs and another 6 optical drive failures.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
You can find retina macbooks in 13 and 15" sizes on the refurb page for 15% off list.
I didn't say their wasn't, I just meant there are times (usually around a model refresh time) when a bleeding edge feature may not be available.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
I didn't say their wasn't, I just meant there are times (usually around a model refresh time) when a bleeding edge feature may not be available.
Yeah for sure, the latest and greatest can be very hard to find when they are still brand new and in high demand (or when very few are being returned or added to the refurb pool)