Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Computer Accessories (Speakers, Monitors Mice etc)

Let's talk about computer speakers. Surround is indeed of a pain with wiring, I think I'll do 2.1 but open to suggestions. What do you use? What have you heard and recommend?
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Still rocking my Logitec Z2300's
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ran the surround speakers to mounts on my computer chair for the ultimate surround experience. The downfall was my chair was too close to the wall and scrapped the hell out of it every time I spun the chair. These are Logitech 5300's. Good sound.

In the end I bought a nice pair of sennhesier PC350 headphones but they made my head too hot, now i used a $20 pair of earbuds I picked up from London Drugs that sound really nice and came with a pc adapter.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use 2.0 USB-based Logitech Z-5s for general audio, and a pair of 7.1 USB-based Razer Megalodons as a headset.

I have it setup so when I'm just doing normal stuff or just don't care if I have surround, the Z-5s have pretty great bass response and good levels for general use, and when I want to use my headphones, I just plug them into my front USB and they override the other speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

AudioEngine 5's are superb. If you wanted something smaller the 2's are great as well - I use them for my TV.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Logitech is you best bet IMO. I have a set of 5.1's I bought probably 6 yrs ago and they sound great. They came out with a newer version of 5.1's a year or two later that were even better. Haven't seen anything like that from them since. To bad, I'd like to upgrade mine.

I also bought a 2.1 set from Harmon/Kardon that are amazing for 2.1. They are even older than the logitechs I have now.

These seem to be their only offering in 5.1. Kinda pricey but would almost guarantee the will knock your socks off.
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produc...m-Z906?crid=47

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 02-17-2013 at 12:47 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Logitech is you best bet IMO.
If you're in love with cheap plastic enclosures, sure.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Bose ones at Costco sound really great and are tiny.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I really like my the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's

They can be had for $150-175

I have never really liked Logitech speakers, good for game's but have always been just about the Bass, not detail.

I also like the Edifier S330D 2.1 $160-175
You can order from London Drugs, Future Shop (free shipping) or NCIX.ca for $150 with $9 ground shipping.

Also keep in mind it starts with a good sound card.
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Let's talk about computer speakers. Surround is indeed of a pain with wiring, I think I'll do 2.1 but open to suggestions. What do you use? What have you heard and recommend?
what kind of sound do you like and what do you listen to mostly? is it for games or music? do you prefer big bass or more accurate representation where you can hear little details in the recording?

if it's for games and/or booming bassy music then go with the 2.1 Logitechs or the Klipsch (for a bit more refinement). if you want to hear a guitar pick slide across strings in your acoustic rock mix, definitely do the Audioengines. those ones are designed similar to studio monitors, for which the emphasis is flat frequency response and accuracy. that doesn't necessarily mean your music will sound more pleasing (often the opposite especially if it's poorly recorded or compressed) but once you go down that road it sure opens up a crazy world of fine audio that you might not be able to return from.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if you want to hear a guitar pick slide across strings in your acoustic rock mix, definitely do the Audioengines. those ones are designed similar to studio monitors, for which the emphasis is flat frequency response and accuracy. that doesn't necessarily mean your music will sound more pleasing (often the opposite especially if it's poorly recorded or compressed) but once you go down that road it sure opens up a crazy world of fine audio that you might not be able to return from.
A much more detailed review than mine, but I agree with every word. I wouldn't describe them as flat (although I know technically they are), but rather "balanced" - they have plenty of bass, and it's in proper proportion to the treble content.

I'd eyed their sub, but I can't honestly understand why you'd need it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Def. Audioengine A2 or A5+'s, depending on final budget
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler12 View Post
I really like my the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's

They can be had for $150-175
I have the 5.1 version of these, and they've served me well for years. They still go for $250-300 used on eBay when they were $350 new, so obviously they have a following.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Decided to rename this thread and expand on it a little. I'm baffled by the computer industrys abandonment of 1920 x1200 resolution monitors. I get that 1920x1080 is the HD specification but it really grinds my gears that for regular PC use we lose those 200 pixels for no good reason!
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's more that for gaming/media 16:9 is the "chosen" format. 16:10 monitors still exist (mostly 1680x1050 & 1920x1200) but they're considered "business" monitors, and typically have worse G2G and W2W refresh rates. Though you can still find some with awesome color (Dell immediately comes to mind), they will often show ghosting when watching movies or gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's more that for gaming/media 16:9 is the "chosen" format. 16:10 monitors still exist (mostly 1680x1050 & 1920x1200) but they're considered "business" monitors, and typically have worse G2G and W2W refresh rates. Though you can still find some with awesome color (Dell immediately comes to mind), they will often show ghosting when watching movies or gaming.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup, hate the 16:9 monitors! 16:10 forever!

I have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's as well and really like them, though I don't use them a whole lot, having a kid with the bedroom right above my office means headphone gaming only.

For which I have Sennheiser PC360's, which are good but I miss the real 5.1 from extra speakers my old Medusa set had.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For speakers, I'm using the Bose Companion 2.

For headsets, I have the Psyko 5.1 gaming headphones.

And for mice, I switch between a Razer Starcraft Marauder gaming mouse and a PC cyborg RAT5 gaming mouse.

And a $15 generic keyboard.
Slacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the Logitech G15 Keyboard and G9X Mouse. I don't use my keyboard for gaming though I use the Razer Nostromo, highly recommend it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #20
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I have the Logitech G15 Keyboard and G9X Mouse. I don't use my keyboard for gaming though I use the Razer Nostromo, highly recommend it.
I also have the G15 and G9X. Logitech makes some of the best hardware in my opinion. Never had a problem with anything I've bought from them. I have a sweet SteelSeries glass mousepad and I just picked up a pair of Razer Tiamat 7.1 headphones on the weekend.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote