Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fifa 13

Not sure how many people picked up the new FIFA but since we have an NHL and a Madden thread figured I'd start one for it.

I skipped FIFA 12 so this has been quite the step up, I can't defend for the life of me but fortunately I can score almost at will against lesser opponents. The first touch control changes are great and I'm really liking the way the offensive AI runs to space and otherwise moves around. Now if I can only figure out how to keep my shape defensively instead of falling into the 'run at him full speed and hope' approach to defending.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

I picked up the game yesterday too, however I had FIFA12 so I'm used to Tactical Defending already. I'd say just stay back and force attackers outside until they are about to change direction - then jump in. That and switch players as often and fast as possible, always bringing midfielders back to help out.

After playing 30 seasons Head2Head online last year I thought i'd try out FUT this year, and I'm glad I did. So addicting!

Have you tried PES2013? Gameplay is pretty great, but it doesn't compare to the game modes that FIFA2013 have. I do prefer the gameplay in FIFA though.

I Love FIFA13! What system are you playing on?
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried the demo and I found it OK, but I am going to go for Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 instead. I preferred the pacing of the game, and the balance seems better, harder to score, but less disaster at the back.

Pro Evo master league is a favourite mode of mine, start with no name players and build a team up. Good challenge.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

I agree that the pacing of ProEvo2013 is good, and graphically the game probably looks better than Fifa2013. I quite enjoy playing both games actually!

However with PES2013, I find that it's way too easy to complete really long passes that should be easy interceptions for the defenders. Same goes for through balls. For example, if my keeper starts with the ball and I pass it to my defender - I can just quickly pass it to my center midfielder and then immediately do a strong through ball to my striker without even knowing where he is (or which striker gets it) because the camera hasn't caught up yet... and 90% of the time one of the strikers receives the pass with no trouble. On Fifa, this might work maybe 10% of the time which seems much more logical to me. Right now I play both games on middle difficulty (3/5) for comparisons sake.

In my opinion, Fifa requires much more patience when in possession of the ball and a greater emphasis is placed on using smart shorter passes. Usually when you go for that long pass or cross in the final third you lose the ball, and I think that reflects perfectly with what usually happens in real life.

Just my opinion though. I also notice that I mentally play the game differently when I play PES and FIFA, so that could be the source of my bias?

I don't know what system you're on Imported_Aussie, but www.pesgaming.com is a great site to grab patches to change all the kits and stadiums to the real ones! I love that PES lets you mod their games.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Haven't got it yet but I'm sure I'll pick it up. They've made significant improvements every year to the Manager Mode which I like. I thought the custom tournaments took a huge step back last year but I've heard they'll improve that too.

FIFA 12 had way too many major international teams without their official kits and they really scaled back the customization options. I like making my own tourneys for international play but it wasn't nearly as good in 12 because they limited it so much.

Edit: Just read the fifa 13 wiki page. No word on international kits. My only major gripe is that they still have a pathetic number of licensed stadiums (and no Camp Nou this year).

It does confirm that they've added the WC, Euro and Confed Cup to the Career mode which is awesome. I just hope there is an option to have those tourneys as a stand alone tournament.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Haven't got it yet but I'm sure I'll pick it up. They've made significant improvements every year to the Manager Mode which I like. I thought the custom tournaments took a huge step back last year but I've heard they'll improve that too.

FIFA 12 had way too many major international teams without their official kits and they really scaled back the customization options. I like making my own tourneys for international play but it wasn't nearly as good in 12 because they limited it so much.

Edit: Just read the fifa 13 wiki page. No word on international kits. My only major gripe is that they still have a pathetic number of licensed stadiums (and no Camp Nou this year).

It does confirm that they've added the WC, Euro and Confed Cup to the Career mode which is awesome. I just hope there is an option to have those tourneys as a stand alone tournament.
Not sure about the stand alone tournaments, but on the international side one thing I'm looking forward to is the ability to manage international teams in the manager career mode. You have to earn the ability to manage teams, and I'm only a few games in with an MLS team so that's likely a ways off, but it's a cool addition.

Sadly no team Canada, which I guess is to be expected.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very impressed that the squads were mostly in place right out of the box, the feature matching players/teams with their real-life counterparts' form (and mention of, for instance, Saints' back to back promotions in the commentary) were nice touches.

Now to get to work on throwing in some custom chants.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I really like this game so far. Smarter AI and a number of other little changes in career mode have made it much more enjoyable.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

I built a silver FUT with all Polish players that all play in the Polska Liga.

100% Team chemistry, all green lines between players. This team clicks better than a native south african speaking the Tsonga dialect.

I haven't met someone that can touch me with this team, but connecting to an online opponent lately has been tough. I'll chalk it up to the staggered releases worldwide. I have to say online has been terrible so far. Really hard to connect to others, whereas I've never had trouble with any other game - other than NHL08.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking about picking this up. Does it match the hype I've heard for it?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah man. It's awesome.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the FIFA games. My British buddy got me into it in high school and it created a love of soccer for me. That said I haven't picked up 13 yet, but I will be soon
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always loved the FIFA games. I usually just buy them every second year (I have 12) but being able to manage an international squad and some of the gameplay changes they've made are seriously tempting me.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't mind getting FIFA every couple of years but PES series is getting better. I decided to get PES 2013 this year and with winning eleven's option file it basically takes away the license issue.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone explain how I play for the national team in BAP mode? I get the screen saying I was selected for national squad but I don't get to play the games.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic game. Best career mode out of all the EA Sports titles, IMO.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Can anyone explain how I play for the national team in BAP mode? I get the screen saying I was selected for national squad but I don't get to play the games.
I haven't done BAP mode, I just do the manager mode, but how it works as a manager is you select the international team roster about a few weeks in advance of the games. Maybe you just have to progress a couple weeks in your career?

I'm really not sure so this may not be any help

Tags
fifa , kesler dives like a girl , soccer