Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Analog audio interference

So I rebuilt one of my older computers to use as an HTPC over last weekend and I tried hooking it up to my speakers through analog line out but I'm getting huge amounts of noise (probably from inductive/capacitive coupling probably not ground looping since it's distance dependent?) from the other components on my TV rack. When my HTPC is on the rack, my line out is uselessly noisy. When it's on the floor by my TV it's okay.

Usually you can wrap a solenoid around the cable and it'll fix the issue and I know I got couple of these when I bought my speakers but I've moved since then and they've gotten lost. I just looked up audio solenoid and no results showed up at the regular places like FS, BB or Memex. Does anyone know where to buy these in Calgary? Are they called something else? Otherwise does someone know where I can find a two end minijack audio cable that is twisted inside to prevent interference?

My HTPC only has standard mini jack (1/8") analog outs at the moment so I can't really use anything else to hook up the audio.
I'm just using a two end m-m mini-jack cable at the moment that I bought years ago from FS.

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-17-2013 at 07:23 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just grab a 30$ USB soundcard with optical out.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX31016/Reviews

Likely a bit more expensive than shielding solenoids but you'll upgrade to a digital out and not have to deal with interference at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Chokes, not solenoids A solenoid is a plunger that pulls/pushes in response to current - eg. your power door locks on your car, those are solenoid driven.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you using the same power when you move the PC over by the TV? That sounds like a grounding issue to me. We have no end of trouble with PC power supplies in my chain of racks, typically have to run the power through isolation transformers or use humbuckers on the analog outs.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You can grab iron ferrite chokes from old power supplies. I usually find them there and in other old equipment.

I usually accepted noise as a trade-off with the Shuttle since it's so densely packed and the PSU is not very well shielded and right above all your outputs.

Find a way to use your coax or optical SPDIF on that computer?

You can get humbuckers for audio lines? I thought they were just in my pickups

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-17-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote