Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Nokia Lumia 920/Windows Phone

At the risk of diving into a discussion about mobile phones (I've read some of the heated arguments here), I'm considering moving to the Nokia Lumia 920 and the Windows Phone platform.

In my new role at work I'll be doing a lot of work with Microsoft and I think it'd be fun to show off some of the technology on that phone.

I'm allowed to change devices, but if I want the office to continue to pay, I have to stick with Rogers.

I do realize that I'll be missing out on a lot of popular apps, but a)it is primarily a work phone, and b)I'm moving from a Blackberry Torch, so it's not like I've got a lot going on with my current phone. If I can access news and Twitter, I'm good.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this phone and has suggestions or tips.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really, really like my Lumia 920. I moved from a Samsung Omnia 7 (WP 7.5).

First, you need to decide how 'work-related' the phone is going to be.

Windows Phone will want you to associate a Windows Live account with the handset. This is a requirement due to the behavior of the OS - all your data such as contacts, calendar, etc. are sync'd with the account. (If you lose your mobile connection, you will still be able to access your contacts on the phone locally, don't worry.)

If you are going to keep the device business only, then you can sign up to Windows Live with your corporate e-mail. This allows you to use just one e-mail address with the handset and get all your corporate data sync'd quite seamlessly. Also, if you do move to Windows 8 at work, this will improve the integration between the two platforms.

If you're going to do personal stuff on the device as well as business, sign up with a new Windows Live account specifically for this purpose. I signed up with a Live.ca extension, but any of the Microsoft account domains (Hotmail.com, Live.com, MSN.ca, Outlook.com) will do... if it had been available, I would have picked Outlook.com, but I digress. Once you have the phone provisioned with the Live account, then add your corporate e-mail account using Exchange ActiveSync. Again, if you start using Windows 8 at home, use your Live account to authenticate to your PC, as all your data will sync between the two.

The cross-device integration is something Microsoft has worked really hard on and I think it's paid off.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks, that's very helpful.

So I'm going to create two Windows Live accounts on this phone - one for work and one for personal.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
At the risk of diving into a discussion about mobile phones (I've read some of the heated arguments here), I'm considering moving to the Nokia Lumia 920 and the Windows Phone platform.

In my new role at work I'll be doing a lot of work with Microsoft and I think it'd be fun to show off some of the technology on that phone.

I'm allowed to change devices, but if I want the office to continue to pay, I have to stick with Rogers.

I do realize that I'll be missing out on a lot of popular apps, but a)it is primarily a work phone, and b)I'm moving from a Blackberry Torch, so it's not like I've got a lot going on with my current phone. If I can access news and Twitter, I'm good.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this phone and has suggestions or tips.
I switched over to the 920 from an iphone. So far, I really like it. The Windows Phone 8 OS is awesome for a mixed work/personal phone. The live tiles really make it easy to create "zones" where you can custom organize all your communication. (You can create tiles for each separate email account, or even a tile for a particular person that will centralize various email accounts, facebook, and mobile phone messaging).

The apps are still pretty weak, but the full set of development tools for the Windows 8 OS have only been out for a couple months. Things should get better soon.

If you get the phone, my biggest tip would be to switch off the "Tap+Send" feature on the settings. (It's a huge battery hog and its not a feature most people use).
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I moved to a Lumia 920 from a Sprint HTC Arrive (WP7). Pretty nice improvements in the OS from WP7, plus the Lumia 920 is a beautiful device. I was tempted by the HTC 8X, but the 920's camera won the day.

I would lhighly recommend the 920 and WP8.

The thing that i like the most about the ecosystem is that apps are generally more aesthetically pleasing in WP8 than Android. I have an Android tablet and the apps are largely hideous looking. On WP8, most of the apps use a similar UI and follow Micrsosoft's design language. it leads to everything feeling very unified and professional, unlike the disjointed and sometimes sloppy feel of Android (or even iOS).
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I'm debating between the Lumia 920 and the HTC 8X. Anyone have any thoughts on the two?

My deduction from research is that the 920 is a superior device, but I like the design and feel/weight of the 8X
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My iPhone 5 was stolen two days ago and I have been forced to scramble to replace it. Picked up an HTC 8S and so far, while remaining keenly aware that it is not an iPhone, I'm really impressed with it.

The operating system is really polished and intuitive, it embraces being its own thing as opposed to Android which feels like an imitation IOS (settle down fanboys, to the average person, this is true).

It has its flaws, but it's a phone that keeps me in contact with the info I want, but just enough so that I'm not constantly on my phone when I don't need to be.

And it looks cooler than anything I've ever had; I can't undervalue how nice it feels to not have the same phone as 90 other people on the train.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nokia lumia 920 , rogers , windows phone