Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Getting my iTunes songs from my Mac to my PC

Ok, so I got a new computer and I want to put my music from iTunes on my mac, onto my new PC. I have an iPhone and an iPad that I have synced to my mac and I want to use the PC from now on. I have copied the iTunes music folder containing all of the music onto an external HD. What do I do next? And how do I go about using the new PC for my iPhone and iPad? Can I simply plug them into the new computer and have it all work flawlessly?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Ok, so I got a new computer and I want to put my music from iTunes on my mac, onto my new PC. I have an iPhone and an iPad that I have synced to my mac and I want to use the PC from now on. I have copied the iTunes music folder containing all of the music onto an external HD. What do I do next? And how do I go about using the new PC for my iPhone and iPad? Can I simply plug them into the new computer and have it all work flawlessly?
The iTunes library is stored in XML format - you can import the library exactly as is to your PC.

There are about a thousand tutorials online on how to do this that will do a much better job of explaining it than I.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some what related to this.

I recently lost my hard drive and then a week later my ipod classic with upwards of 60 GB of data on it, not back up of course. Now all I have left is an ipod touch running iOS6 with about 8GB of songs on it. Anyone know how to pull the songs off of the ipod and back onto the PC? Easy to do on older versions but I cannot find anything recent to do this.

Anyone know or done this recently?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Some what related to this.

I recently lost my hard drive and then a week later my ipod classic with upwards of 60 GB of data on it, not back up of course. Now all I have left is an ipod touch running iOS6 with about 8GB of songs on it. Anyone know how to pull the songs off of the ipod and back onto the PC? Easy to do on older versions but I cannot find anything recent to do this.

Anyone know or done this recently?
The fact that this particular activity is so hard, when it should be so easy was the first nail in the coffin for Apple products in my house.

You have to jail break, and do some magic you can find online. Even then, the files will all have unintelligible file names. You can make them useful though since they still do have the tags. I don't know if someone knows an easier way, but that was my experience.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The fact that this particular activity is so hard, when it should be so easy was the first nail in the coffin for Apple products in my house.

You have to jail break, and do some magic you can find online. Even then, the files will all have unintelligible file names. You can make them useful though since they still do have the tags. I don't know if someone knows an easier way, but that was my experience.
Yeah, the only method I have found was from a few years back and talked about jailbreaking. I see there is a new jailbreak out for ios6 so I will go down that road.

It's the only apple thing I have and I won it last year from a vendor. Just bad luck timing on a few things. Lots of cloud storage now for teh important stuff.

One quick one. Is there no way to delete songs other than on the actually ipod itself?

Last edited by Galakanokis; 02-13-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a while since I've done that, but can't you just use a 3rd party utility to transfer the files? That's what I always did and I never had to jailbreak anything. Maybe try this one, it's free and it says it works on iOS6:

http://www.syncios.com/download.html

There are a couple of things Apple does that I can never wrap my head around and the inability to move stuff from a device to a computer is one of them.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This article explains is better than I could. It was written before iOS6 but it should still be relevant.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CKPThunder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

It's not actually hard, but it's certainly obnoxious that you need third party help to do it. I've used iRip in the past, but it's $20. http://thelittleappfactory.com/irip/
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

no need to jailbreak, use http://www.getsharepod.com/. super easy and free
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote