Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #181
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well then provide actual discussion instead of just 'omg I hate it, this sucks.'
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #182
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well then provide actual discussion instead of just 'omg I hate it, this sucks.'
He did. You ignored it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:07 PM   #183
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
I have definitely been enjoying the series. Episode 5 is my least favourite so far. I found it disjointed and hard to follow. Now, that could be a result of me not knowing the back story of what is going on.
I don't think it's on you, the newest episode covers all of the major story lines so that's a lot of characters and locations to cut between. The last episode didn't have the Harfoots. And a lot of the story isn't covered by Tolkien's writings, or adding their own details and interpretations to something that Tolkien only wrote a little about (like the possible origin and power of mithril).

Quote:
I'm going to watch it again as I'm sure I missed some stuff (like the characters looking over the Stranger's landing spot).
Those characters have just been introduced and I don't think anybody really knows who they are. The only other clue to them is their names (or rather titles) from the credits.

Last edited by accord1999; 09-23-2022 at 05:12 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 05:21 PM   #184
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I brought it up with someone recently - that the hallmark of modern television writers is they don't know how to write so they have people argue instead of providing story and exposition.

All modern TV writers seem to be hacks and all they know how to do is to fill scripts with petty arguing between characters to create tension rather than have tension created by the drama of the events.

The best example is looking at the new Star Trek shows (SNW might get an exemption since it's trying to be TOS) where all they do is squabble and talk back to each other unprofessionally on the bridge.

In classic Star Trek, this never happens and officers even get chewed out by their superior officers for talking back. They just get along, discuss problems, solve them.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 07:36 PM   #185
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was another terrific episode IMO. Awesome series so far.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:59 PM   #186
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good episode. The only part I thought was super cheesy was the little speech made to rally the people at the tower in the south. Other than that, I thought it was solid. This version of Galadriel is definitely at her best when playing the warrior, so this was a good episode for her. The relationship between Durin and Elrond keeps developing nicely too.

The Harfoots storyline is enjoyable too. Glad they finally got at least one sweeping landscape view in there. I imagine Bilbo and Frodo as having some of Nori in their bloodline.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 11:52 PM   #187
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn’t fond of the sword/key thing storyline as a macguffin, but now that I think we’ve got some really clear hints about what it does, I must say I can’t wait until it gets activated.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #188
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I wasn’t fond of the sword/key thing storyline as a macguffin, but now that I think we’ve got some really clear hints about what it does, I must say I can’t wait until it gets activated.
You have to admit, the entire plot point of the Lord of the Rings is a macguffin (Ring of Power). Maybe Tolkien even invented the macguffin for modern audiences.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #189
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure the ring fits the definition of a Mcguffin. It's more a character all on its own. I consider a mcguffin an item that can be replaced by most anything, and it won't affect the story. But the ring needs to be a ring in order to slip off hands, where it shows it has it's own agency. Maybe it could be a crown, or a broach, or something small, but it can't be replaced by anything and not drastically affect the story.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:00 PM   #190
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm finding myself more and more inagreement with the theories that Halbrand is the King of the dead.

Not sure Adar is Sauron. As I don't think we have seen Sauron yet. Somehow I feel like we haven't even begun scratching the surface of the nine yet either.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:56 AM   #191
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watched episode 5 again last night. Much better the second time through. I missed a lot of stuff the first time.

Adar’s reaction when Waldreg mentions Sauron makes me think Adar is not a big fan of Sauron either. Maybe they are dark rivals of some sort.

It would be awesome if Hallbrand is the King of the Dead. Would make for a great storyline
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #192
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halbrand being King of the Dead would be a great fit with Galadriel saying to him in the last episode about how there is no peace for him in running away from the fight. Foreshadowing?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #193
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Adar’s reaction when Waldreg mentions Sauron makes me think Adar is not a big fan of Sauron either. Maybe they are dark rivals of some sort.
I do like the idea of them being rivals; perhaps Adar wants the orcs to have their own homeland for their own sake because he empathizes with their situation. Would also be ironic for Waldreg to find himself aligned against Sauron after fanboying him thus far.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 AM   #194
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm liking the show a lot. It almost makes your brain hurt when you think of all the generations from Elros down to Aragorn, and yet Aragorn marries Elrond's daughter thousands of years later. Galadriel becomes Elrond's mother in law in the far distant future from the timeline of this show.

Speaking of timelines,
Spoiler!

Also I am pretty sure Adar is not Sauron. He's just one of many high ranking Sauron servants. Plus, Sauron is said to be beautiful and that's how he corrupts people, including Ar-Pharazon.

I can do without the Harfoot storyline completely. The young actress for Nori is great, but the storyline so far is lame. Here is where I'll bring up the diversity thing from my OP for the last time
Spoiler!

Durin continues to be awesome. I'm just so happy with the appearance of the Dwarves with their super long beards.

The Nerd of the Rings recap show is phenomenal. I like how he talks about what's canon and what isn't and how some of the non-canon decisions still make sense in the story. I think he's also annoyed about the Estate not selling certain rights to Amazon that handcuffs the show.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #195
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Loving this show. I'm completely caught up and it's great. That elf chick is pretty bad ass.

I don't like the lame little lost boy/girl group or their boring story line, but everything else is enjoyable.

I like also like the elf dude. Maybe I just like the elves?

The dwarves are great and their Scottish accents are hilarious.

All in all, super good.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 12:54 PM   #196
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

As far as theories go, mine is that Sauron is disguised and in Eregion manipulating Celebrimbor to believe that they need mithril to keep the elves from dying out in Middle Earth.

Celebrimbor had now convinced Gil-Galad, and that is why the 'forge' needs to be built by the spring because supposedly the light of the elves is dying. Elrond called the story of the origin of mithril an unproven myth, so not sure why Gil-Galad believes it other than he has been convinced by Celebrimbor.

Another reason for my theory is in episode 1 there was a meeting Elrond wasn't invited to. Seems strange to mention that as a plot point.

There is also the quote from Adar about how much of what you believe to be true is a lie, which seems oddly specific to say.

I think Numenor will go go attack Adar and his forces and wipe them out, which will allow Sauron to keep hiding as people will think the threat is gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #197
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The more we see Halbrand, the more I like him. It'll be especially tragic if he does end up becoming king under the mountain. But at the pace things are going, that feels like it'd be a couple seasons off if accurate.

isildur is such a little bitch, I've lost count but, what, four times now he's shown his morals aren't to be trusted when making decisions that affect others - especially when there's something to be gained by him. I guess we all know how that goes, though.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 09-26-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #198
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
The more we see Halbrand, the more I like him. It'll be especially tragic if he does end up becoming king under the mountain. But at the pace things are going, that feels like it'd be a couple seasons off if accurate.

isildur is such a little bitch, I've lost count but, what, four times now he's shown his morals aren't to be trusted when making decisions that affect others - especially when there's something to be gained by him. I guess we all know how that goes, though.
The rings were given to Kings of Men, so I'm 95% certain Halbrand is going to be one of the Nazgul eventually.

Interesting observation about Isildur. Perhaps foreshadowing a bit how he is in the future after the War of the Last Alliance.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #199
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if we have seen the eventual Witch-king of Angmar yet. Can't think of any character that would be a match. It seems we have a lot of kings yet to meet anyways. I wonder where they'll all come from. Some will certainly be from Numenor, but there aren't really many kingdoms to speak of at this point.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:19 AM   #200
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

This show is uneven at best, but I do think its heart is more or less in the right place.

Going episode for episode against House of the Dragon was the best thing that could’ve happened for them, because I think a lot of people are going to appreciate how not icky this is.

At no point have I been concerned about witnessing the death of an infant or pregnant woman, or the possibility of two direct blood relatives lusting after one another.

There’s a bunch of characters to root for. There are lots of relatable motivations that aren’t solely driven by “because the show needs to happen and that’s what I wrote.”

The whole world they’ve created doesn’t look like an awful place to be. It’s the sort of place you want to imagine visiting.

Westeros is hell on earth, and the good people all get murdered. If they’re even that good.

Again, uneven, but compared to what we’ve gotten lately, I appreciate the manner of the attempt.