Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2022, 08:14 AM   #161
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A man from Naujaat, Nunavut, is going to France in the hope he will face his alleged sexual abuser.

He will not be going alone.

Next week, Steve Mapsalak will travel with a delegation of Inuit led by Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. (NTI) to try to get the French public to put pressure on their government to extradite a former French Oblate priest, Johannes Rivoire, who once lived and worked in northern Canada.
Quote:
"For 22 of the past 26 years, Rivoire has been a fugitive wanted in Canada for prosecution," Kotierk said in a news release.

"During this time, Rivoire has been under the care and protection of the Oblates in France to avoid negative publicity and to protect the reputation of Roman Catholics. The church and its priests are not above the law."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...-inc-1.6574179

Sheltering abusers, nice job. Keep it up.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #162
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://jezebel.com/federal-judge-ru...ver-1849505978

Really awesome work you guys are doing down there. Just like Jesus taught you.
Well #### me. That's an easy ruling to challenge because there are plenty of other ways to acquire HIV. Heterosexual sex, blood transfusions, placental transmission. I guess that judge hates babies.

That will be overturned shortly if any lawyer with a brain in his head takes on the case.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #163
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Well #### me. That's an easy ruling to challenge because there are plenty of other ways to acquire HIV. Heterosexual sex, blood transfusions, placental transmission. I guess that judge hates babies.

That will be overturned shortly if any lawyer with a brain in his head takes on the case.
Maybe? the Supreme Court is overrun with these people who value religion above all else, including doing their job. Hell, this judge is from the same cloth. You have a lot more faith in the integrity of the systems of protections in place than I do. They have been corrupted by religious extremists.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #164
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...-inc-1.6574179

Sheltering abusers, nice job. Keep it up.
This is interesting:

Quote:
While France has an extradition treaty with Canada, the country does not typically extradite its citizens to other countries, and Rivoire doesn't legally have to return to Canada to face those charges.
But then so is this:

Quote:
He became a Canadian citizen (and still holds dual citizenship) to work in Igloolik, Nunavut, where he lived from 1960 to 1965
Can the two governments get their heads out of their asses and get this Canadian citizen back to Canada to face trial? Even if the church delivered the abuser to the French authorities, it sounds like the wouldn't do anything about it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #165
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone been following the protests against the Iranian regime and their 'morality police'? Protests have been going on for days now after a woman was beaten to death by Iranian officials for not wearing her hijab properly. The government is trying to block social media like Instagram. It's been wild to follow and pretty amazing too.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1570771599091179520

https://twitter.com/user/status/1571134616974790656
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #166
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really hope Iran can pull out of this Theocratic nightmare. A moderate / democratic Iran has so much to offer to the region and the world
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #167
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had a male Iranian coworker who was very progressive and supportive of things like women's rights. People in Islamic countries are just used to tolerating this kind of thing, because it's always existed in some form or another.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #168
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I had a male Iranian coworker who was very progressive and supportive of things like women's rights. People in Islamic countries are just used to tolerating this kind of thing, because it's always existed in some form or another.
I don't know if irony is the right word or not, but Iran at the street level is becoming increasingly less religious. There are polls that show nearly a third to a half of people identify as non-religious, but as the number goes up, the morality police and Islamo-fascists increase their grip. They are gearing up for a revolution I think.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #169
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Atrocities have been normalized to some extent in Iran since the beginning of the eradication of the Baha'i starting in 1979. As the 'other' was slowly removed, the government and extremists started moving on their own people, because it's all that they know to hold power.

I know that this thread is primarily North America based, and therefore Christian, but parts of the African continent and SW Asia are absolute nightmares, and a lot of it is normalized and just a matter of course.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #170
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Atrocities have been normalized to some extent in Iran since the beginning of the eradication of the Baha'i starting in 1979. As the 'other' was slowly removed, the government and extremists started moving on their own people, because it's all that they know to hold power.

I know that this thread is primarily North America based, and therefore Christian, but parts of the African continent and SW Asia are absolute nightmares, and a lot of it is normalized and just a matter of course.
I didn't make it with the intent of that, it was just what kicked off the discussion. If religions are being awful elsewhere, this is a fine place to discuss it!
Old 09-22-2022, 03:41 PM   #171
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Younger posters dont realise it but there was a time back in the 60's and 70's when Lebanon and Iran were basically western countries while the rest of the middle east were rapidly moving that way, you could take a bus from London to India through Syria, Iraq, Iran Afghanistan with no issues other than a tendency to start wearing a smelly afghan coat.

The US's short-sighted support of Saudi Arabia has been in its own way as stupid a move as Russia's invasion of Ukraine
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #172
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Younger posters dont realise it but there was a time back in the 60's and 70's when Lebanon and Iran were basically western countries while the rest of the middle east were rapidly moving that way, you could take a bus from London to India through Syria, Iraq, Iran Afghanistan with no issues other than a tendency to start wearing a smelly afghan coat.

The US's short-sighted support of Saudi Arabia has been in its own way as stupid a move as Russia's invasion of Ukraine
I was reading about how Afghanistan used to be a place hippies would flock to. Hard to imagine that now.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #173
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

People should watch the 2008 film The Stoning of Soraya M.

It will shake you to your core. I was devastated for quite some time after.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #174
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
With all due respect, people in Islamic countries generally don't have to tolerate this crap. Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and maybe Pakistan are uniquely terrible.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:06 AM   #175
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Canadian Press interviewed eight former LGBTQ students from across Canada who attended the college over the last two decades. They said they experienced homophobia, abuse and discrimination that left them fearful and vulnerable.

They said they are speaking out because they're concerned for current students at the college and want changes or the school defunded. Briercrest receives funding from the province and was given $250,000 for this school year.

One student said she was struggling with her sexuality and feeling suicidal, and that a counsellor told her to pray it away. Another said a professor wrote a derogatory word on a white board in class to describe homosexuals. Others said speakers were brought in to teach them how to deny their sexuality, and they were encouraged to marry a person of their opposite sex.

Pawelke also did not respond to a question about a 2019 school address in which he compared sex outside of heterosexual marriage to intercourse with animals, robots and corpses.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...645274?cmp=rss

I really don't understand why government's fund religious institutions of any type, but particularly those that discriminate so cruelly, with tax dollars. It's so gross.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 11:14 AM   #176
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Re: Briercrest College and the like. It's awful that they get any funding and awful that kids are treated that way at this place. But why would any rationally thinking person who isnt a hard-core religious nutbar go to a school like this? I mean, I expect the whole campus and faculty to be homophobic etc. I guess it could be a case of awful parents forcing their kids to attend in hopes of 'curing' them. I feel sorry for those kids.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #177
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
With all due respect, people in Islamic countries generally don't have to tolerate this crap. Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and maybe Pakistan are uniquely terrible.
Let's leave aside roughly half of Africa for the moment... You think Muslim women in Indonesia, for example don't experience religiously-driven oppression?

Seems like a bit of a wild assertion to limit it to those countries.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #178
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...645274?cmp=rss

I really don't understand why government's fund religious institutions of any type, but particularly those that discriminate so cruelly, with tax dollars. It's so gross.
Well could you imagine how f'ked up the tax system would be if taxes collected had to be segregated based on the contributor's beliefs, such that that's how the taxes are distributed?

A Catholic's paid taxes can only go towards the salary of a Catholic police officer in a separate Catholic police force that only attends to calls made by Catholics?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #179
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Awful that they get any funding and awful that kids are treated that way at this place. But why would any rationally thinking person who isnt a hard-core religious nutbar go to a school like this? I mean, I expect the whole campus and faculty to be homophobic etc. I guess it could be a case of awful parents forcing their kids to attend in hopes of 'curing' them. I feel sorry for those kids.
Parents sending them there, or kids just discovering themselves as they go through school. It's all pretty wrong. Time to shut these places down. Education and religion have no place in bed together. Teaching children to grow up as bigots is not helpful. Funding it with taxpayer dollars? Absolutely despicable.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:19 AM   #180
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Well could you imagine how f'ked up the tax system would be if taxes collected had to be segregated based on the contributor's beliefs, such that that's how the taxes are distributed? Like a Catholic's paid taxes can only go towards the salary of a Catholic police officer in a separate Catholic police force that only attends to calls made by Catholics?
Literally no one is suggesting this. What is being suggested is that institutions whose primary goal is the advocation of religious doctrine not be given government funding, regardless of what religion it is.

Which... there are a bunch of arguments to be had on that front.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote