Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #441
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
It's not that bad. My life here is actually pretty damn good. Busy and expensive but I have no issues living here.
You've got to figure out several things to enjoy it here IMO. Career, housing and social life. I mean you probably need to figure those things out anywhere, but they are more challenging here than in other cities and can take more time to develop. If any of that isn't lining up the winter rains just feel that much more gloomy. Being from Alberta but now having lived here nearly a decade of my life now, yeah its a weird place. I don't think any of the other major Canadian cities have the weird mix of cost stress and social awkwardness that goes on here. It's a different vibe. That being said, if you can figure it out, it is a good place to live.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 09-24-2022 at 12:27 PM.
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #442
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yes. It's pretty clear in a place like Vancouver how many people are just one crisis or emergency away from being pretty screwed, and expensive housing could quickly lead to a downward spiral involving homelessness.

I also tend to think another big contributing factor is how isolating and atomized culture is in North America (maybe especially WASPy culture?). The emphasis upon independence, the extent to which people leave home and move away from family with expectations of standing on their own two feet, and the extent to which self-worth and societal value is so tied to social as well as economic independence means a lot of people end up without strong support systems from tight family/community networks to prop them up when times get tough or they enter into crisis.
Totally agree, and from an economic standpoint, move out when you're 18 and figure it out may be the single dumbest philosophy for modern life that people still loudly proclaim as some sort of badge of honour. It isn't the 1950s in middle America where you will get a job at the local factory, a new chevy and a bungalow in short order. You are putting yourself (or your kids) at a massive disadvantage in the marketplace by going that route, especially in expensive cities. Unless they come up with a miracle business at 19 they are going to be way behind the economic curve due to likely having to accumulate debt and the inability to save. You aren't really any more well adjusted, if at all, than the kid who lived at home during post secondary and then maybe the first year or two of work, and then went out and found a place to live with a bunch of savings in hand. Just a way better strategy.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #443
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
You've got to figure out several things to enjoy it here IMO. Career, housing and social life. I mean you probably need to figure those things out anywhere, but they are more challenging here than in other cities and can take more time to develop. If any of that isn't lining up the winter rains just feel that much more gloomy. Being from Alberta but now having lived here nearly a decade of my life now, yeah its a weird place. I don't think any of the other major Canadian cities have the weird mix of cost stress and social awkwardness that goes on here. It's a different vibe. That being said, if you can figure it out, it is a good place to live.
This is actually an intriguing point.

The absurdly high cost of living in some of these places means that people spend all of their time hustling to survive and so while they wax poetically about the beauty and natural wonder, so many people are too busy working to actually enjoy them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #444
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The housing affordability stories blow my mind. I know a guy that makes ~100k/year and his wife makes ~200k/year. They just bought a place that took 2 months to close because of when they had to sell, other's could buy, etc. He and his wife stayed in his parents place until they could get possession of the new place. They assumed they had the rate locked in and budgeted $6,000 a month for the mortgage payment. Unfortunately the rate was not locked in and the new payment was $7,500. At first I had super judgey thoughts, but then when you talk to other people in Vancouver it seems spending all of your after tax income on housing is just a thing you do there. It's insane to me

I cannot fathom the level of stress of owning a house with that kind of payment
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #445
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, its pretty nuts.

Further to that though, in comparison to most people that couple is making really great money. You cut that income in half and its still well, well above normal 'middle class' and that payment is simply not manageable.

Now they might be buying a mansion or who knows what the specifics are, but just as a form of scale its insane.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #446
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, its pretty nuts.

Further to that though, in comparison to most people that couple is making really great money. You cut that income in half and its still well, well above normal 'middle class' and that payment is simply not manageable.

Now they might be buying a mansion or who knows what the specifics are, but just as a form of scale its insane.

I just keep doing the math in my head and it's insane. $90,000 a year mortgage payment and you're take home is maybe $200,000. How do you make that make sense? I get that leaves $110,000 after mortgage, but it's still insane.

What makes it worse is I got the sense that they don't share bank accounts and are paying it 50/50. If so, that's well north of 50% of his net income. Then the realization that no matter what investing you do, almost the entirety of your net worth is subject to the whims of the housing market
Old 09-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #447
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's stupid is when the bank says you can't afford a $1400/month mortgage so you get stuck paying $1800/month on rent.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:51 PM   #448
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
What's stupid is when the bank says you can't afford a $1400/month mortgage so you get stuck paying $1800/month on rent.
And then give someone a $7500 a month mortgage they probably can't afford
Old 09-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #449
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
And then give someone a $7500 a month mortgage they probably can't afford
A lot of them, maybe even most, have renters paying off their mortgage for them.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #450
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I just keep doing the math in my head and it's insane. $90,000 a year mortgage payment and you're take home is maybe $200,000. How do you make that make sense? I get that leaves $110,000 after mortgage, but it's still insane.

What makes it worse is I got the sense that they don't share bank accounts and are paying it 50/50. If so, that's well north of 50% of his net income. Then the realization that no matter what investing you do, almost the entirety of your net worth is subject to the whims of the housing market
It is very expensive but they likely have a rental suite in that property paying $2000-$3000/month.

They probably also see it as their primary investment strategy being how well Vancouver real estate has appreciated and being a tax free gain as a principal residence.
So being "subject to the whims of the housing market" isn't a consideration people here make.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2022, 09:16 PM   #451
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are couple of interesting videos about how Finland and Vienna have tackled homelessness and housing affordability. I like the Vienna system where 62% of people actually live in socialized housing and 80% of the population qualifies. It creates a demographic spectrum where people from all walks of life choose to go that route and avoids ghettoization of the poor.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 09-24-2022 at 09:22 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:05 PM   #452
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

I don't own, missed that boat. But I am lucky with rent. It's not a great place by any means, older townhome but it's a good size and in a good location and I currently pay half of what new renters pay in here. My wife and I do fine but we don't have near enough for a downpayment to get a house around here. $500K still leaves me with a million dollar mortgage. Insanity to me. If I was paying over $3K for a place my tune might change.

I've been here for over 20 years so I might just be immune to it. I have my work and group of friends and of course the kids keep you busy. I have no desire to hit bars and clubs anymore which is good as there are none. Now that I have broken down out of sports I find I do need a hobby. Something other than work, kids and chores to fill the day.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #453
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch. The cop definitely wasn't going 30 from that clip when his cruiser ran over the guy.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/video/...t-man-in-dtes/
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #454
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I don't own, missed that boat. But I am lucky with rent. It's not a great place by any means, older townhome but it's a good size and in a good location and I currently pay half of what new renters pay in here. My wife and I do fine but we don't have near enough for a downpayment to get a house around here. $500K still leaves me with a million dollar mortgage. Insanity to me. If I was paying over $3K for a place my tune might change.

I've been here for over 20 years so I might just be immune to it. I have my work and group of friends and of course the kids keep you busy. I have no desire to hit bars and clubs anymore which is good as there are none. Now that I have broken down out of sports I find I do need a hobby. Something other than work, kids and chores to fill the day.
Discover the great day filler known as Golf.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:18 AM   #455
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Ouch. The cop definitely wasn't going 30 from that clip when his cruiser ran over the guy.

I see that and instantly think is one of two things, malicious AF or gross negligence like he was looking at his phone or totally distracted from something else. Either way, no Bueno.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #456
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

And under the new rules, the victim has also lost the right to sue for any kind of injuries.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #457
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
And under the new rules, the victim has also lost the right to sue for any kind of injuries.
Really? What legislation was that that? That's awful.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #458
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Seriously? What new rules are these? Because it's a cop (didn't have lights on from the video, maybe had the siren on though?)? Maybe if the victim ends up testing positive for a substance? Honest question.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #459
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Really? What legislation was that that? That's awful.
No more lawsuits for motor vehicle collisions in BC.

He might be able to get something from ICBC, if he has a permanent impairment. That's difficult to prove for someone who's likely already not working and has a variety of disabilities though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #460
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously? What new rules are these? Because it's a cop (didn't have lights on from the video, maybe had the siren on though?)? Maybe if the victim ends up testing positive for a substance? Honest question.
No fault insurance.

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world