Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 05-27-2022, 03:38 AM   #1
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hockey Canada, CHL settle lawsuit over alleged sexual assault involving WJ players

[URL=https://www.tsn.ca/1.1804861.1653603866[/URL]

Surprised to see this not being talked about more. Pretty serious stuff involving 8 unnamed 2018 Gold Medal Winning Canadian World Junior players. Dillon Dube and Cale Makar were both on that team.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:46 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i too was surprised that this topic was not being discussed earleir yesterday afternoon.

must be a nice feeling for the families of players on this team knowing that there is about a 1 in 3 chance their son was involved.

wonder what steps, if any, HC has taken to prevent something like this from happening in the future? I'd assume that true to hockey culture we will not hear much about this incident.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 AM   #3
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was tough to read.

NSFW!

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-chl...yers-1.1804861

Dube was the captain of that team. Not a great look.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
[URL=https://www.tsn.ca/1.1804861.1653603866[/URL]

Surprised to see this not being talked about more. Pretty serious stuff involving 8 unnamed 2018 Gold Medal Winning Canadian World Junior players. Dillon Dube and Cale Makar were both on that team.
Just for clarity so people don’t start guessing 8 names from the team…It isn’t definitively 8 players from that team. It’s 8 chl players, including at least 1 from team Canada.

Edit: maybe not. I had said the same thing to someone and was corrected but it all just seems unclear. Unfortunate that charges weren’t laid and that they got off with a settlement.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 05-27-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #5
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statement from the NHL

"Two days ago, the National Hockey League was advised of a lawsuit involving sexual allegations filed against eight unnamed members of the 2018 Canadian World Junior hockey team. We were subsequently provided with the Statement of Claim, containing allegations of behavior that is both abhorrent and reprehensible. We will endeavor to determine the underlying facts and, to the extent this may involve players who are now in the NHL, we will determine what action, if any, would be appropriate. We will have no further comment at this time."
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Given the incident happened in London, my guess would be the OHL players on the team. But to make me feel better that Dube is not involved, though it's impossible to say who from the WJ team was actually at the event.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #7
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is only starting. The fact that they tried to use Hockey Canada as a cover to shield their identity instead of coming out will not help them, and only make everything worse.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Statement from the NHL

"Two days ago, the National Hockey League was advised of a lawsuit involving sexual allegations filed against eight unnamed members of the 2018 Canadian World Junior hockey team. We were subsequently provided with the Statement of Claim, containing allegations of behavior that is both abhorrent and reprehensible. We will endeavor to determine the underlying facts and, to the extent this may involve players who are now in the NHL, we will determine what action, if any, would be appropriate. We will have no further comment at this time."
Oh weird, that’s a bit different than the hockey Canada statement and Rick Westwheads wording to start the article made it sound like additional players were involved. Not like it matters, and this whole thing is gross.

Quote:
Hockey Canada and the CHL were named as defendants in the case, as were eight unnamed CHL players “including but not limited to members of the Canada U20 Men’s Junior Hockey Team.” The hockey players are identified in the 18-page statement of claim as John Does 1-8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...s/team-rosters

Quote:
CANADA 2017 NATIONAL JUNIOT TEAM SELECTION CAMP

Jonathan Ang
Drake Batherson
Maxime Comtois
Dillon Dubé
Alex Formenton
Jonah Gadjovich
Cody Glass
Brett Howden
Tanner Kaspick
Boris Katchouk
Jordan Kyrou
Kole Lind
Michael McLeod
Taylor Raddysh
Sam Steel Forward
Tyler Steenbergen
Nick Suzuki
Robert Thomas
Jake Bean
Dennis Cholowski
Kale Clague
Mario Ferraro
Cal Foote
Josh Mahura
Cale Makar
Victor Mete
Logan Stanley
Conor Timmins

Michael DiPietro
Carter Hart
Samuel Harvey
Colton Point
Lots of NHL players on that fall selection camp.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:51 AM   #10
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Full Summer camp roster

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/te...er-development

Quote:
Michael DiPietro
Carter Hart
Stuart Skinner
Dylan Wells
Jake Bean
Dennis Cholowski
Kale Clague
Dante Fabbro
Cal Foote
Samuel Girard
Nic Hague
Josh Mahura
Cale Makar
Victor Mete
David Quenneville
Conor Timmins
Logan Stanley
Jonathan Ang
Will Bitten
Dillon Dubé
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Jonah Gadjovich
Cody Glass
Brett Howden
Tanner Kaspick
Boris Katchouk
Jordan Kyrou
Kole Lind
Michael McLeod
Matthew Phillips
Cliff Pu
Taylor Raddysh
Michael Rasmussen
Mason Shaw
Givani Smith
Sam Steel
Nick Suzuki
Robert Thomas
Owen Tippett

Invited, but unable to attend

Tyler Benson
Tyson Jost
Adam Mascherin
Nolan Patrick
Gabe Vilardi
Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #11
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroopy noopers View Post
oh weird, that’s a bit different than the hockey canada statement and rick westwheads wording to start the article made it sound like additional players were involved. Not like it matters, and this whole thing is gross.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1530194910539927553
Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #12
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperiggy View Post
Given the incident happened in London, my guess would be the OHL players on the team. But to make me feel better that Dube is not involved, though it's impossible to say who from the WJ team was actually at the event.

Photo of the players at the event.
https://cdn.hockeycanada.ca/hockey-c...la-07.jpg?q=60
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #13
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Not sure why you quoted me but yes this guy is awesome.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Did anyone catch Sportsnet's coverage of this during the intermission?

It looked like a rushed segment put together at the last minute when they realized they should probably say something...but it was basically just Friedman reading out the NHL's statement. No empathy, no condemnation of the allegations. It struck me as "we should say something" but it really missed the mark.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #15
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Not sure why you quoted me but yes this guy is awesome.
Just that you mentioned Rick.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #16
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like the victim wants this to go away. She didn't name players, didn't want a spectacle. I suspect that's why it's not being talked about, no one wants to relive their trauma in public for months and days.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:07 AM   #17
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder how much the settlement was and if it included an NDA, etc? I'm sure we will hear more in the future. Sad story but not all that surprising which is also sad.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:01 PM   #18
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wd7p...n-rape-culture

Quote:
However, interviews with the WHL and one of the architects of the program, suggest the organization is more concerned with keeping its players out of trouble than enlightening them about misogyny and being decent people.

In an interview with VICE Tuesday, Const. Steve Kelly, one of the police officers who spearheaded the project said he doesn't believe in rape culture.

"I'm not a big fan of that [term] 'rape culture,'" said Kelly, himself a retired NHL player who played just under 150 games for several teams including the Edmonton Oilers and the New Jersey Devils. He played junior hockey with the Prince Albert Raiders of the WHL.

"I've played in [hockey] culture for a long time and I'm not going to sit here and claim that it's never happened before… sexual assaults or rapes or whatever, because I'm quite certain it has, but I just don't believe it's a culture at all."

Kelly seemed to then suggest that rape culture is a concept hyped up by the media.
Incidents like this only further validate the culture of sexual violence, manipulation, and abuse in hockey.

The victim was instructed to shower after?

Why? Obviously to destroy evidence collected in a rape kit. It’s not the just the action, but the premeditation. Someone taught these players that this is what you should get woman to do in these circumstances. I get that no one wants to talk about it because as gutless Elliott’s Friedman mentioned “none of this has been proven in court.”

To me it’s still something being completely glossed over in this matter.

This is more insidious than anyone wants to acknowledge.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:17 PM   #19
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1530634474614145029
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2022, 11:00 PM   #20
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Canadian government has put Hockey Canada under the microscope.

Sports Minister Pascale St-Onge has ordered a financial audit of an out-of-court settlement involving a woman who alleged she was sexually assaulted by junior hockey players following a Hockey Canada event in London, Ont.

A motion also passed Thursday in Canada's House of Commons summoning Hockey Canada to Canadian Heritage's standing committee "to shed light on its involvement in a case of alleged sexual assaults committed in 2018."

As first reported by TSN, the woman accused eight Canadian Hockey League players, including members of the 2018 national junior team that won world junior gold that year, of sexual assault following a Hockey Canada Foundation gala in London, Ont., in June of 2018.

snip

But neither the Canadian government nor the NHL appear willing to close the book on the matter.

St-Onge said in a scrum with reporters before Thursday's question period in Ottawa she wants a forensic audit of the settlement to ensure Hockey Canada didn't use taxpayer dollars to settle the case.

"What I want to know and what I think all Canadians want to know is, was there any public funds used to cover up that horrible story of collective rape?" St-Onge asked.

"The other thing that Canadians want to know is how could such an important organization make sure that their players are not accountable for these allegations and that most of them are now playing the NHL. And I think that Canadians deserve to know."

Safe sport has been at the forefront of St-Onge's first eight months in the sports portfolio because of a recent spate of complaints about abuse and maltreatment in high-performance sport.

The minister has declared she will hold the organizations' feet to the fire to clean up inappropriate and abusive behaviour.

Government assistance accounts for six per cent of Hockey Canada's funding, according to the organization's 2020-21 annual report which didn't specify how much money that is.

Hockey Canada received a total of $7.8 million in Own The Podium high-performance funding for its men's and women's national teams in the four-year quadrennial between the 2018 and 2022 Winter Olympics.

Own The Podium makes funding recommendations directing Sport Canada money to federations based on medal potential.

Since the defendants could potentially be NHL players now, that league is conducting its own analysis.

"The National Hockey League was advised of a lawsuit involving sexual allegations filed against eight unnamed members of the 2018 Canadian World Junior hockey team," the NHL said in a statement.

"We were subsequently provided with the statement of claim, containing allegations of behaviour that is both abhorrent and reprehensible.

"We will endeavour to determine the underlying facts and, to the extent this may involve players who are now in the NHL, we will determine what action, if any, would be appropriate."

Author Laura Robinson, who wrote about violence and sexual assault in Canadian junior hockey in the 1998 book "Crossing The Line", says the hierarchical nature of some male hockey teams can breed abuse of teammates, and can extend to people outside the team.

She draws a direct line between hazing teammates and sexual assault of women.

"It is still happening," Robinson said. "I looked at what was happening to the players mainly in terms of initiations and how they were sexually abused in initiations.

"It was part of the culture to be hazed. It's always sexualized, it's always a sexual assault and it's always humiliating. It's always a performance. I think what the girl's body is, it's the stage on which the players perform for each other," she continued.

"It's terrible that young people whether they're a boy who walks into a bathroom at the wrong time, or is a rookie player and gets stuck in a locker room, or a girl who gets stuck you know at a so-called party that they are the recipient of this highly toxic masculinity, very violent, always sexualized."
https://www.tsn.ca/canadian-governme...suit-1.1808235
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post: