Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #21
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I still subscribe to the Herald 6 days a week...nothing on Sundays. It costs me about $38. a month, and I consider it money well spent. I particularly appreciate the political and financial articles, which helps me keep up to date on the latest current events and thinking.

I believe the day our hard copy news disappears will be a significant loss for our society. There are already far too many people around who are completely ignorant of what is going on around them, or what affects their state in life. Without newspapers I'm afraid there will be plenty more, who simply follow the crowd like unthinking zombies.
I’ve been considering subscribing to my local daily newspaper again. I grew up with one and it’s not much money. I have a good friend who is editor for a daily paper in the Okanagan; he’s in his mid-50s and hopes his paper survives until his retirement, but he’s not hopeful. Some people don’t trust the media but a good daily paper is far more reliable than most online sources.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Who else remembers the awesome color comics that came with the Herald on the weekend. It was in book format, same size as normal comics, with a fan made drawing as the cover.
Slylock Fox FTW (apparently it is still around?). Calvin and Hobbes was good, Family Circus was usually meh, and Rex Morgan MD can GTFO...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #23
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I worked for the Herald back in my university days. It was a great company to work for. I remember the head of the Classifieds group telling me when I started that they could basically give the paper away - all the money was made from advertising anyway. A bit of a harbinger of what online news is: totally free, but soaked in ads.

I miss the ritual of the morning paper, but to me the biggest benefit of it was that - before and after you read the paper - your mind wasn't always in the news (or the news wasn't always on your mind). Now, the expectation is that as soon as anything happens in the world, there will be stories about it published within minutes, and the scope of those stories - the places they are sourced from - is so broad that it never ends.

I used to spent a lot of time as a kid poring over the sports pages for stats, standings, stories. It would seem so primitive to a kid today. Having a paper crossword puzzle once a week was great too. And as for the comics, it will come as no surprise that Slylock Fox was one of my favourites too (and I'm not sure who the hell read Rex Morgan, or why).

But, all that said, I can't see myself ever subscribing to a (paper) paper again. The environmental side of it, plus the content of my digital subscriptions, means it just no longer makes sense for me. Though I could see picking up a Sunday paper for the crossword and feature articles that do a deeper dive rather than just being picked off a newswire.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I still subscribe to the Herald 6 days a week...nothing on Sundays. It costs me about $38. a month, and I consider it money well spent. I particularly appreciate the political and financial articles, which helps me keep up to date on the latest current events and thinking.

I believe the day our hard copy news disappears will be a significant loss for our society. There are already far too many people around who are completely ignorant of what is going on around them, or what affects their state in life. Without newspapers I'm afraid there will be plenty more, who simply follow the crowd like unthinking zombies.

Are you sure it's $38 a month? Is the Sun that much cheaper? When I was getting the Sun up until a few years ago it was like $40 every three months or something.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #25
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

my first job was delivering the globe and mail every morning. i think i was in grade 5.

most of my customers paid directly to the paper, so i maybe only had half a dozen customers that i had to collect from. i remember one of the first things i did was go visit the 'collect' customers and convince them to pay direct. it wouldn't be a big deal collecting if it was an afternoon delivery, but i was out the door by 5:30am and home around 6:30am (paper had to be delivered before 7am) - so collecting meant going back to those houses in the early evening.

one great memory was when we had a crazy snow storm over night and my dad said he'd drive me around the route (that never happened). we did a couple doughnuts (intentional) and got stuck in a few snowbanks (unintentional!). i still remember helping him push the car back out of the snowbanks

it was a great job for a 12 year old - up early, got some exercise, learned about earning and saving $.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #26
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been getting the digital subscription to the Herald for years. It has the exact same content as the printed paper. $99 for a year. You can buy add-ons, like other papers owned by the same people etc. I really appreciate the digital edition when I am traveling.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #27
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Delivering papers in Queensland with my brother was my first job. Up at 4:30, waited for the guy who dropped off the list and bundles every morning regardless of weather, figuring out a way to optimize your route, getting that nasty print all over your hands, all part of the routine. But the worst by far was having to be the collections agent for the media empire. Chasing down deadbeats in their run down apartments for a couple bucks a month was ludicrous. Can’t believe this air tight business model ever failed.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #28
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally random newspaper thought: without daily prints how will kidnappers prove their hostage is still alive?
Old 09-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #29
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I delivered the Star Phoenix in Saskatoon when I was a kid. Even though 5:00am in -30 was brutal, the summer mornings were great and the job was actually kinda coveted by kids who were into making money as it was one of the few jobs that you could get before age 16.
I used to love reading the paper as well and would pore over it every morning while eating breakfast after I had finished my deliveries.
I haven't read a newspaper in years but I actually bought a copy this morning as my wife needed newspaper to wrap some trinkets up that we were moving out. It's definitely been a while for me buying a paper as I thought the cashier had made an error when he told me the paper was $6.00. Last I remember seeing was around $2.50-$3.00.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #30
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never delivered the paper, but I did deliver flyers. On one hand, it didn't pay as well as delivering the paper, but on the other, most people were ambivalent at best about receiving them, so you could skip the odd house or five if you were feeling lazy or the weather sucked and nobody would care.

The best part of the job were the times when you had to deliver product samples along with the flyers. They were mostly things like mini shampoos and detergent packs and crap, but every once in a while you got to deliver something like mini cereal or candy. Imagine as a 11-12 year old getting a big box of fruit rollups and being told to deliver it to the entire neighbourhood. Those were the times when you squirrelled away half the stash for yourself, and for the next few weeks afterwards acted as a benevolent ruler at school.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #31
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still get the paper, I know it would be cheaper to read it electronically but I like to read the hard copy with my morning coffee. But the paper seems to be getting smaller every year, I suspect the days of traditional newspapers are drawing to a close.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Totally random newspaper thought: without daily prints how will kidnappers prove their hostage is still alive?
You could do it by showing any frequently-updated website or app. Showing the most-recently posted news story on CNN.com would provide the same level of proof -- and actually be even more accurate.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #33
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I delivered flyers, and the Herald and then the Sun. I liked the Sun for delivery because they didn’t have a Saturday paper back then; at least you got one day to sleep in! Paper delivery wasn’t great though. At that point you have this kid who’s like 13-14 collecting, and I feel like I didn’t make as much as I should have. Sometimes I couldn’t get people at home, sometimes they’d be home and not have cash or all that stuff. I guess the plus was if you wanted to do something that night you could run out and try to collect from a house or two and have some cash, but that wasn’t a huge benefit to me.

Fun fact: I was nominated as paper boy of the year one year. I honestly can’t recall winning, so I probably didn’t.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #34
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I delivered the paper when it was still the evening paper on weekdays and one morning paper on weekends. Kept buying the Saturday globe till a few years ago when it was harder to get and the price was 5$ or more. Got the app now.

Agreed its not the same anymore. I still crave a good opinion piece or investigative journalism on the weekends

Great thread topic btw
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #35
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

We used to get the Herald and I'd go through the Sports section and read the comics. Loved the Saturday colour comics! Before covid, I was still reading a physical paper every morning either on a plane or in my hotel. Haven't touched one since travel stopped.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #36
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I never delivered the paper, but I did deliver flyers. On one hand, it didn't pay as well as delivering the paper, but on the other, most people were ambivalent at best about receiving them, so you could skip the odd house or five if you were feeling lazy or the weather sucked and nobody would care.

The best part of the job were the times when you had to deliver product samples along with the flyers. They were mostly things like mini shampoos and detergent packs and crap, but every once in a while you got to deliver something like mini cereal or candy. Imagine as a 11-12 year old getting a big box of fruit rollups and being told to deliver it to the entire neighbourhood. Those were the times when you squirrelled away half the stash for yourself, and for the next few weeks afterwards acted as a benevolent ruler at school.
Early 1990s we would see a box of Golden Grahams land on our door. Then it was telephone you buddies, and porch pirate the samples around the neighborhood.

We would fill massive bowls and eat it all in the backyard. Glorious.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:07 AM   #37
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Feels like only yesterday i was reading the newspaper. Oh yeah it was. Turns out its still a thing.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:46 AM   #38
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am 35 years old and I have vivid memories of reading the newspaper at my house growing up. Everything from news, sports, entertainment and business was always covered and much more.

It's funny how I still remember specific headlines that today and in general would just be crazy to think of.

I would like reading Randy Sportak, George Johnson and Eric Duhatchuk doing the beat for the Flames and others for sports.

I would love seeing what the Flames players did in their off-season and how they came into camp after having either lost weight or added muscle depending on needs at the time.

I LOVED filling out the Sun's "You be the BOSS!" survey. Keep Him, Trade Him or Give him a RAISE!! That's still the options which is funny cause you can't change existing contracts for raises like you could before.

I still grab the paper every little while and I don't think you can replace it with an electronic addition but I do think the lack of local and national news is important. I would and still read a LOT of news in various publications, none of this FB and Twtitter garbage.

So many people just have such a lack of knowledge on important event's its scary.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #39
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of my morning routine when I was in grade school was to get the Herald from the doorstep in the morning then curl up on the heating vent (like a cat) and sit on the warm air and read the paper. Sometimes my Dad would catch me and yell at me for taking the heat. But me and my brother would always do that.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #40
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

If a guy doesn’t get morning wood does that mean He has the morning paper?
Asking for a friend.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote