Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #1561
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to do more with Tendi. She’s becoming the show’s equivalent of Detmer.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #1562
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late to the party, but Episode 3 had possibly the best line in the history of Star Trek.

Rutherford: Oh, not you little guy. Keep on puppin'!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #1563
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They need to do more with Tendi. She’s becoming the show’s equivalent of Detmer.
I'm waiting for the episode where they deal with the fact she's an Orion woman. The lore around them is that they have incredibly powerful pheromones that males of most species cannot resist, and it was only lightly touched on in an episode last season that she does have the pheromones but chooses not to "use" them, in some manner. I feel like they inevitably have to have an episode where she loses "control" and it drives the men on the ship batty.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #1564
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Late to the party, but Episode 3 had possibly the best line in the history of Star Trek.

Rutherford: Oh, not you little guy. Keep on puppin'!
Kind of a strange question....how many times are you guys watching these?

I watch it straight the first time, then rewatch for all the references I might have missed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #1565
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I'm waiting for the episode where they deal with the fact she's an Orion woman. The lore around them is that they have incredibly powerful pheromones that males of most species cannot resist, and it was only lightly touched on in an episode last season that she does have the pheromones but chooses not to "use" them, in some manner. I feel like they inevitably have to have an episode where she loses "control" and it drives the men on the ship batty.

Even though Enterprise was bad, there was the episode where they were given these Orion Slave girls that basically seduced the male crew members with their phermones to take over the ship.

In the end an Orion Male fixed the fact that the Orion Slave girls weren't actually the slaves, the males were.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #1566
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soooooo... it was definitely mariners dad that blew up Rutherford, right?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #1567
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Soooooo... it was definitely mariners dad that blew up Rutherford, right?
Good question. That might be fun to predict. Or it could be Section 8 or whatever from Discovery...I dont remember what section it was because I dont watch STD.

Or whoever that crappy Admiral was from Insurrection?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #1568
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rewatched Picard season 1, cause I'd forgotten so much of it, and boy am I torn. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 5.5/10. Saying that, there were some elements I really liked, and others that were just absolutely dreadful.

Frankly I don't care enough to get into the details (except the ships in the finale, why were all the Federation ships identical? I mean I accepted that retired Riker just shows up leading the fleet, but could they have thrown a bit more dough at the CGI budget and given us more than one cool ship? C'mon!)

Going to start season 2 tonight. I've gathered It's not good, but I'm a very forgiving and chronically optimistic Star Trek fan.

...engage!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #1569
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I rewatched Picard season 1, cause I'd forgotten so much of it, and boy am I torn. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 5.5/10. Saying that, there were some elements I really liked, and others that were just absolutely dreadful.

Frankly I don't care enough to get into the details (except the ships in the finale, why were all the Federation ships identical? I mean I accepted that retired Riker just shows up leading the fleet, but could they have thrown a bit more dough at the CGI budget and given us more than one cool ship? C'mon!)

Going to start season 2 tonight. I've gathered It's not good, but I'm a very forgiving and chronically optimistic Star Trek fan.

...engage!
Oh you poor bastard.

As I recall, and I think I stated a few pages back, Picard Season 2 starts off like a rollercoaster. It presents some intriguing and interesting ideas that show some real promise and merit.

And then the 'downswing' of the ride is that it abandons all interesting concepts and proceeds to suck harder that previously considered possible.

I'd say its 'The Worst' but I cant even watch STD, so Picard is not, perhaps, 'The' worst.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 07:27 PM   #1570
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picard season 2 contains some of the worst writing and handling of existing Canon of all time, imo. It is truly horrible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 07:41 PM   #1571
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh you poor bastard.

As I recall, and I think I stated a few pages back, Picard Season 2 starts off like a rollercoaster. It presents some intriguing and interesting ideas that show some real promise and merit.

And then the 'downswing' of the ride is that it abandons all interesting concepts and proceeds to suck harder that previously considered possible.

I'd say its 'The Worst' but I cant even watch STD, so Picard is not, perhaps, 'The' worst.

Discovery at least had a season of Pike and Spock. That is way better than anything Picard tabled.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:19 PM   #1572
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Discovery at least had a season of Pike and Spock. That is way better than anything Picard tabled.
Just let whoever is on 'Strange New Worlds' keep on keeping on.

Lock 'em in and lock everyone else (other than Lower Decks) out!

Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 PM   #1573
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just let whoever is on 'Strange New Worlds' keep on keeping on.

Lock 'em in and lock everyone else (other than Lower Decks) out!

It just bottles my mind how a show can be so good and so bad simultaneously. Pike scenes good. Burnham scenes bad. It was like Walking Dead when it was really sucking and there would be Negan scenes that were outstanding.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:36 AM   #1574
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Good question. That might be fun to predict. Or it could be Section 8 or whatever from Discovery...I dont remember what section it was because I dont watch STD.

Or whoever that crappy Admiral was from Insurrection?

Section 31?

It's origins are in DS9 and I won't let you give Discovery any credit.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 10:44 AM   #1575
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Section 31?

I just used the Section that Klinger quoted to try and get out of the Army in MASH.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 12:03 PM   #1576
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Section 31?

Speaking of which, I doubt that the Section 31 series is ever going to be made. And thank god, Discovery completely mutilated Georgiou as a character. And I still remember in the end after her "Death" when the Star Trek crew gathered around to salute the dearly departed cannibal, mass murderer by calling her a "Bad a$$" who "Did it her way"

Well yeah, eating sentient alien slaves and bombarding unarmed civilians is bad a$$ and she was indeed the best that Star Fleet had to offer.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2022, 07:57 PM   #1577
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a theory that they're setting up Rebecca Romijn to be the lead for the Section 31 series.

In the SNW finale, we're told that she's been in prison for 7 years because she failed to disclose her augmentations. Also, it doesn't appear Romijn is leaving the show, so they'll need some storyline for her.

My prediction is they'll have a trial for her. Pike and the rest of the Enterprise crew will speak on her behalf, but she'll still get sentenced to be sent to that prison. Then, they'll reveal that it's actually a cover for the Section 31 HQ and it's basically Starfleet Suicide Squad and we'll get a couple of episodes where the Enterprise needs to work with Section 31 on a secret mission and they can work as a backdoor pilot for the Section 31 series.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #1578
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be a save that's interesting I suppose.

But section 31 serves better as a shadowy foil in the Star Trek Universe than an actual plot driver. Otherwise, the gross elements of Starfleet/the Federation are laid to bare too much and it ruins the Utopian nature of the future that Star Trek requires to thrive on. DS9 was perfect at treading this line, while discovery lives purely in the humans are the ####ing -- worst -- even in the future vibe. A section 31 show likely has to exist in the bad humans area. Maybe someone like Number 1 could pull it up though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #1579
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't really want to see a show that shows the inner workings of Section 31. The Deep Space 9 portrayal was excellent, with one man being the face of it. We don't see the shadow mechanics of a ammoral any path to victory, somewhat out of control forgotten section of Star Fleet Academy.

We don't need to see these people debating the morality of their actions, or have characters that doubt the actions of Section 31. These people should be soley focused on preserving not the democracy or human rights within the Federation, but the survival in the face of a hostile government.

These people need to be the dark attack dogs of the Federation with a any path to victory mentality.

Cause a war between the Klingon's and Romulans, if it takes their attention away from the Federation and weakens both, absolutely.

Assassination of foreign government members or human threats to the security of the Federation, its what I signed up for.

Infilitrate members of the Federation High Command and Government to not only protect itself but to spy on suspect members yes sir.

In the excellent Wing Commander novels. They had the "Project" which was an off shoot of the Belasaurus Group.

The Group saw the Terran Confederation losing the War with the Kilrathi because the Civillian Government was inept, especially after the Battle of Earth, where the war was nearly lost due to a lot of stupidity of the Government.

So they decided that they needed to step in and save humanity, and this group of Officers and hard core government members decided to subvert the government, create a lack of confidence in it, and then the Military would step in and stabelize things and win the war.

They tried to convert Admiral Tolywn the main villain later on in Wing Commander. Essentially caused his down fall and then saved him during his trial by subverting the courts.

This lead Tolwyn to the deeper Black Lance Project, where he saw that humans were weak compared to the more aggressive species in space, and that Mankind needed to become like their enemies. So he went forth to reform humanity through a combination of genetically created super soldiers, where wiping out the weaker members of the human race with selective bio warfare, all while trying to create a civil war between human colonies. He felt justified to follow this path again because humanity was its worst enemy during the 40 year war against the Kilrathi.

But I didn't need a novel or game where we peaked behind the curtain of these groups to see the debates and decision making and all of the people involved.

The evil shadow organization has fueled stories and movies and other media game as well as conspiracy theorists anywhere (Free Masons, Bilderberg group (Etc)). But honestly I don't need to know how they work or who does it, I need to know that its there and a constant manipulative threat.

Old 09-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #1580
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't really want to see a show that shows the inner workings of Section 31. The Deep Space 9 portrayal was excellent, with one man being the face of it. We don't see the shadow mechanics of a ammoral any path to victory, somewhat out of control forgotten section of Star Fleet Academy.

We don't need to see these people debating the morality of their actions, or have characters that doubt the actions of Section 31. These people should be soley focused on preserving not the democracy or human rights within the Federation, but the survival in the face of a hostile government.

These people need to be the dark attack dogs of the Federation with a any path to victory mentality.

Cause a war between the Klingon's and Romulans, if it takes their attention away from the Federation and weakens both, absolutely.

Assassination of foreign government members or human threats to the security of the Federation, its what I signed up for.

Infilitrate members of the Federation High Command and Government to not only protect itself but to spy on suspect members yes sir.

In the excellent Wing Commander novels. They had the "Project" which was an off shoot of the Belasaurus Group.

The Group saw the Terran Confederation losing the War with the Kilrathi because the Civillian Government was inept, especially after the Battle of Earth, where the war was nearly lost due to a lot of stupidity of the Government.

So they decided that they needed to step in and save humanity, and this group of Officers and hard core government members decided to subvert the government, create a lack of confidence in it, and then the Military would step in and stabelize things and win the war.

They tried to convert Admiral Tolywn the main villain later on in Wing Commander. Essentially caused his down fall and then saved him during his trial by subverting the courts.

This lead Tolwyn to the deeper Black Lance Project, where he saw that humans were weak compared to the more aggressive species in space, and that Mankind needed to become like their enemies. So he went forth to reform humanity through a combination of genetically created super soldiers, where wiping out the weaker members of the human race with selective bio warfare, all while trying to create a civil war between human colonies. He felt justified to follow this path again because humanity was its worst enemy during the 40 year war against the Kilrathi.

But I didn't need a novel or game where we peaked behind the curtain of these groups to see the debates and decision making and all of the people involved.

The evil shadow organization has fueled stories and movies and other media game as well as conspiracy theorists anywhere (Free Masons, Bilderberg group (Etc)). But honestly I don't need to know how they work or who does it, I need to know that its there and a constant manipulative threat.
Never read that book but the story cuts hard towards a God Emperor of Dune track.