Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2022, 05:04 PM   #201
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Depending how long this show goes on, I'm wondering if they're going to bring in Jackie Chan or Will Smith's kid. I haven't seen that movie, did it have a villain they could bring in, too?
God no please no, that movie was awful and had nothing to do with Karate. It was the freaking Kung Fu King, and while Jackie Chan is a goddman national treasure. Will Smith's kid is just a annoying weirdo who gets acting jobs because of his old man's influence, and not his talent, which he doesn't have.

And no to the villain, he was basically a note for note Chinese Kreese.

It really has nothing to do with the Karate Kid universe except it stole the name to generate ticket sales.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #202
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Depending how long this show goes on, I'm wondering if they're going to bring in Jackie Chan or Will Smith's kid. I haven't seen that movie, did it have a villain they could bring in, too?
Hey...if you want to go out with a bang then why not?

Because that kid is completely off his nut.

"Hey...its the final season, how do we want to wrap this up?"

- "Bring in Jaden Smith and dont bother writing a script. His character will teach them the 'Epic Slap.'"

"My God...you just want to watch the world burn..."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 08:33 PM   #203
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I'm convinced: I'll skip the Chan-Smith Karate Kid until the next pandemic.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:04 AM   #204
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weaker season in my opinion. I still enjoyed it mostly. Not enough karate with the kids, too much with the adults. It used to be the corny pinning on stuff to have the adults actually go at it, but this season it was the focus.

Spoiler!

Tory remains the most interesting part. Probably one half-decent season left out of this. Hopefully they dont drag it out too much.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #205
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed that season quite a bit, and the ending felt like a series finale. Not sure where else the story can go from here, other than bringing in Hilary Swank’s character. Feels like everyone’s story arcs wrapped up pretty nicely with season 5.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:15 PM   #206
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way that was the last season
They aren’t going to introduce the idea of a global tournament and not pay that off
Plus the show needs to end on a tourney just as the movie did. To bring it full circle
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #207
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last night I dumped out some White Claw that's been in my fridge since the entire pandemic at least. I love a good self-depreciating product placement.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #208
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
God no please no, that movie was awful and had nothing to do with Karate. It was the freaking Kung Fu King, and while Jackie Chan is a goddman national treasure. Will Smith's kid is just a annoying weirdo who gets acting jobs because of his old man's influence, and not his talent, which he doesn't have.

And no to the villain, he was basically a note for note Chinese Kreese.

It really has nothing to do with the Karate Kid universe except it stole the name to generate ticket sales.
But....Will Smith is still listed as a producer on the show so anything is possible.

I think he bought into the franchise and that's how Jaden ended up in the reboot.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:51 PM   #209
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
But....Will Smith is still listed as a producer on the show so anything is possible.

I think he bought into the franchise and that's how Jaden ended up in the reboot.

Sure, but if you want to see the fans crap all over the franchise and abandon it, have Will Smith announce that his weirdo son is coming into the series.

Is it possible, sure, if you want to have a freaking Kung Fu versus Karate tournament.

In the end there's zero connection between Will Smith's Karate Kid and the actual Karate Kid franchise. They're not linked in any way except that one is a brutal awful remake of the other that despite Jackie Chan (Who's a god damned legend) best efforts couldn't save. And the name was only there to make money in the box office.

The only way I would do it would be that Jaden Smith's character is bought over as some kind of sensei to Cobra Kai, and the evvvvilll lady senses that he has no Karate and rips his throat out and throws his corpse in a dumpster in the first scene.

Yeah, I would watch that.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #210
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

We're only I think 7 or 8 episodes in but I find this season to be pretty bad. We're at the point now where we're just watching the rest because we've already started it. Hopefully the last few episodes are better.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:39 PM   #211
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 6 teaser. From what I've read, it sounds like this will be the final season/chapter of the entire franchise.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:25 AM   #212
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Season 6 teaser. From what I've read, it sounds like this will be the final season/chapter of the entire franchise.

As a big fan of the series, good. Still liking it but it has gotten progressively cheesier and the 5th season was almost a shark jumper for me. Glad they won’t try to drag it out. Hope it finishes strong.

And I’ll die on the hill of crossing over of the main cast into Power Rangers.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:44 AM   #213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They probably should have wrapped up around season 4. I'll keep watching, but it's getting stale.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:17 AM   #214
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Agreed they could have probably 'went out on top' a season ago at least... but that is the reason for ending it here apparently, they want to go out on their own terms versus being cancelled.

Or had a closed door meeting with Netflix where they said you do it or we will... lol. I just picture the show runners grabbing the shot gun from Netflix, "No Pa, it's our show..."

Either way, I am in for one last ride.

I think there is still some good closure they can bring, and it needs to end being totally focused on Johnny and Danny and their relationship.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #215
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has to end with the big tourney.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2023, 09:48 AM   #216
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad it's getting its final season to wrap things up on their terms - probably one of the most unlikely TV success stories ever (80's sequel/revival starting out on a short-lived / doomed streaming service ends up with 6 seasons and a huge fanbase?)

Last season did get a little over the top at times so glad it's finishing before it gets really ridiculous. Rein it in a bit and focus on the characters more instead of a moustache-twirling villain.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:48 AM   #217
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

With Daniel still be somewhat smarmy and unlikeable and really this whole series being key focused on Johnny's redemption. I expect that somehow he brings honor and victory to his dojo Eagle Fang.

I almost want Daniel to still take a loss on this and get knocked down a peg. I mean the things that should have gone horribly wrong with the returns of previous villains that worked out right needs to be addressed.

I mean really who's the upcoming big bad. Silver is in jail learning a whole new meaning to the Crane. Kreese is a Federal Fugitive, I doubt he has time to think about any kind of tournament. But he'll be in the background somewhere. But unless he's gone completely neck breaking psycho, he's not going to kill Daniel or Johnny.

I know who we need to bring back.

Spoiler!

Old 01-23-2023, 10:21 AM   #218
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
With Daniel still be somewhat smarmy and unlikeable and really this whole series being key focused on Johnny's redemption. I expect that somehow he brings honor and victory to his dojo Eagle Fang.

I almost want Daniel to still take a loss on this and get knocked down a peg. I mean the things that should have gone horribly wrong with the returns of previous villains that worked out right needs to be addressed.

I mean really who's the upcoming big bad. Silver is in jail learning a whole new meaning to the Crane. Kreese is a Federal Fugitive, I doubt he has time to think about any kind of tournament. But he'll be in the background somewhere. But unless he's gone completely neck breaking psycho, he's not going to kill Daniel or Johnny.

I know who we need to bring back.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

But as a Villain. Life didnt treat him well and he's back for revenge and Danny's lunch money. And...he has a sidekick...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2023, 03:02 PM   #219
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Agreed they could have probably 'went out on top' a season ago at least... but that is the reason for ending it here apparently, they want to go out on their own terms versus being cancelled.

Or had a closed door meeting with Netflix where they said you do it or we will... lol. I just picture the show runners grabbing the shot gun from Netflix, "No Pa, it's our show..."

Either way, I am in for one last ride.

I think there is still some good closure they can bring, and it needs to end being totally focused on Johnny and Danny and their relationship.
Disagree. It's about Johnny, Miguel and Robbie. Danny's a knob I wish his comeuppance from last season had lasted a bit longer. Like into this season. The maybe he'd be interesting.

I hope they steer clear of too much love triangle stuff. Unlikely, but one can hope.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:32 PM   #220
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like Daniel. His final fight with Silver at the end of last season was awesome.

Johnny is still the better character overall though, and he’s the beating heart of the series. William Zabka is the better actor as well.

Tags
get him a body bag! , sweep the leg