Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #561
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hrrm. Tries Chicko Chicken last night. It was passable, but not great for Korean Fried Chicken. The chicken was cooked well enough, but the skin was still rubbery underneath the breading.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:25 PM   #562
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

New place looks like it opened on Macleod - Space Robo Chicken, near Ogam. Chicken cooked to perfection by the hand of robots. Seems like it should be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 09:40 PM   #563
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
New place looks like it opened on Macleod - Space Robo Chicken, near Ogam. Chicken cooked to perfection by the hand of robots. Seems like it should be good.
Yeah, I’m curious what it’s like. One day I’ll try it out but I’m prepared to be disappointed. Novelty concepts rarely go hand in hand with good food.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #564
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yeah, I’m curious what it’s like. One day I’ll try it out but I’m prepared to be disappointed. Novelty concepts rarely go hand in hand with good food.
Humans seem to be doing a poor job at maintaining consistent results in the fried chicken world. At least in Calgary. I think this might be a win for Team Robot.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:33 PM   #565
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Humans seem to be doing a poor job at maintaining consistent results in the fried chicken world. At least in Calgary. I think this might be a win for Team Robot.
Let’s hope so, but…

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #566
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

^^^^

That first robot repeatedly trying to jam the wiener in reminds me of my Friday night!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #567
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
^^^^

That first robot repeatedly trying to jam the wiener in reminds me of my Friday night!
That was no way to treat my mom!
Old 10-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #568
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have heard of your Mom jokes. But never my Mom.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #569
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I wrong about Jollibee chicken? I thought it tasted like bad all-you-can-eat buffet fried chicken, but youtube reviewers praise it. I wouldn’t even consider it better thank KFC, but they will dunk on KFC and have nothing but great things to say about Jollibee. Should I give it another try, or was my first assessment correct and food reviewers just have no clue when it comes to this?
Old 10-18-2022, 02:02 PM   #570
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Am I wrong about Jollibee chicken? I thought it tasted like bad all-you-can-eat buffet fried chicken, but youtube reviewers praise it. I wouldn’t even consider it better thank KFC, but they will dunk on KFC and have nothing but great things to say about Jollibee. Should I give it another try, or was my first assessment correct and food reviewers just have no clue when it comes to this?
I find Jollibee food in general to be subpar.
To me you are not wrong.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #571
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Jolibee from what I heard is one of those things you have had to grow up on to enjoy. It's like McDonalds. No one in their right mind, if they have never tasted a McDonalds burger before would say that it's a good burger compared to others. It's nostalgia.

Their audience is those who consider their boring chicken, sugary spaghetti, etc. comfort food.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #572
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Jolibee from what I heard is one of those things you have had to grow up on to enjoy. It's like McDonalds. No one in their right mind, if they have never tasted a McDonalds burger before would say that it's a good burger compared to others. It's nostalgia.

Their audience is those who consider their boring chicken, sugary spaghetti, etc. comfort food.

This is kind of the thing that threw me a little. It was Try Guys and Josh Weissman and other Western youtube personalities trying this stuff and seeming to enjoy it. I am maybe being presumptive that they didn’t grow up on it, but I found it hard to imagine anyone rating it above passable, unless you hadn’t eaten for a couple of days.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #573
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I tried it after all the hype and it was awful. Just boring and weird tasting at the same time.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:23 PM   #574
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I have to wonder if there is a Jollibee army, like Elon Musks that will set out to destroy anyone that dares to publicly criticize the chicken?
Old 10-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #575
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I quite like the Jollibee chicken and chicken sandwhiches. I found both to have an excellent combo of crunch and juiciness. The pies are tasty, and the fries are solid. Like the automatic inclusion of gravy with most meals.

Some of the other food items are barely edible though. That spaghetti is way too sweet and literally just tastes like overcooked noodles and ketchup.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #576
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Jollibee spicy fried chicken is great although its umami salty as F and I max out at 2-3 pieces. Definitely superior to KFC.

I really dont understand the love for Ogam though. Great crunchy crust but the classic seasoning/sauce is just a savory-sweet MSG bomb like I'm eating western chinese slop at the food court. 'General chows chicken' or whatever it's called that strongly appeals to people from Edmonton.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:28 PM   #577
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I personally loved Ogam chicken, just can't really afford it as a meal too often. My first meal there was about $24 for one person.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #578
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me the Korean fried chicken conversation begins and ends at one of 2 places, either wow chicken or k town. BBQ chicken was ok but no lunch combos is a big negative.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #579
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven’t tried Ktown. Not super happy with Wow! Country Hills location. A little too much on the crunchy side. Tore the roof of my mouth to shreds.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:57 PM   #580
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haven’t tried Ktown. Not super happy with Wow! Country Hills location. A little too much on the crunchy side. Tore the roof of my mouth to shreds.
I haven't tried the country hills location, but Chinatown is fantastic. Maybe try that one if you're in the area, it's fantastic.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: