Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2022, 08:50 PM   #61
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My brother did flyer delivery at one point when he was a kid. The best weeks were when they dropped off samples to deliver. We would always keep a lot of the snacks or boxes of cereal for ourselves. My mom enjoyed the free dishwasher and laundry detergent.
We delivered the Flyers too (and the Calgary Sun). It was for Netmar (I think). Loved the free samples. Would keep the good coupons too.
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #62
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
Only ever bought the Tuesday Sun because it had player stats for every NHL team in the sports section that day. This was in the 90's/early 2000's before I got the internet though. Haven't bothered with newspapers since.
I loved the Tuesday edition for this very reason. But the stats were only up to Sunday's games

So I would pull out my calculator and re-calculate all the goalies' GAA and save percentages that played Monday night. And add the goals and assists for the players that played as well. It was sweet
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:57 PM   #63
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Remembering the morning newspaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I remember delivering flyers and that paper that went to people without a subscription. was it called "Neighbors" or something like that? What a horrible scam, indenturing children into slavery. They actually shipped you bundles of each of the flyers un-collated and my family had to spread them all out in our foyer and assembling sets of flyers to deliver. That took hours. Then your parents would burn gas driving slowly behind you during -20 temperatures because there was no way you could carry all the papers with you as you walked from house to house.
Ahh, memories. Delivered for “Flyer Force” until a Herald route opened up in the area. I forgot about having to collate the different flyers before delivering. Bad weeks had 10-12 flyers. Sure didn’t get driven around when it got cold. “Looks cold out there, better layer up.” Did that for a couple years, then graduated to delivering the paper every fricken morning at 5am. I think Christmas Day and New Year’s Day were the only days they didn’t print.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #64
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
There is nothing like holding a paper newspaper.
A newspaper.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 08:35 AM   #65
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I remember delivering flyers and that paper that went to people without a subscription. was it called "Neighbors" or something like that? What a horrible scam, indenturing children into slavery. They actually shipped you bundles of each of the flyers un-collated and my family had to spread them all out in our foyer and assembling sets of flyers to deliver. That took hours. Then your parents would burn gas driving slowly behind you during -20 temperatures because there was no way you could carry all the papers with you as you walked from house to house.
I did this for the Calgary Mirror. You're right about pretty much indenturing children into slavery. It hit me one day when someone down the street made an arrangement to tack on her flyer at the same rate I was getting paid by the Mirror for external fliers. After sorting and delivering all her flyers to >150 houses I got a quarter.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:05 AM   #66
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I delivered the Edmonton Journal and flyers. I remember I had to deliver to a couple funeral homes and found it so damn creepy at 5am. In the spring/summer I would deliver my route with rollerblades which was awesome. I had this whole technique where I'd use their stairs to stop with the toe of my boot, run up the stairs, drop the paper/flyer, then fly down the driveway (sometimes hitting vehicle side mirrors on the way ). I also loved the flyer days where you'd deliver the big things like phone books or those consumer distributing catalogues since you'd get paid way more (I feel like it was 50 cents per phone book or something).

Honestly crazy that I would be more or less left to my own devices early in the morning as a 10-13 year old without any supervision. This sort of thing is going to be completely foreign to my son, who is now 2.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:21 PM   #67
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I delivered the Edmonton Journal and flyers. I remember I had to deliver to a couple funeral homes and found it so damn creepy at 5am. In the spring/summer I would deliver my route with rollerblades which was awesome. I had this whole technique where I'd use their stairs to stop with the toe of my boot, run up the stairs, drop the paper/flyer, then fly down the driveway (sometimes hitting vehicle side mirrors on the way ). I also loved the flyer days where you'd deliver the big things like phone books or those consumer distributing catalogues since you'd get paid way more (I feel like it was 50 cents per phone book or something).

Honestly crazy that I would be more or less left to my own devices early in the morning as a 10-13 year old without any supervision. This sort of thing is going to be completely foreign to my son, who is now 2.

Glad to see you moved!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #68
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

Glad to see you moved!
I also left my sweatpants behind and haven’t looked back.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2022, 08:34 PM   #69
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Because this thread nudged me into the direction of how newspapers used to be produced, I got swallowed up by this thing for 2 hours last night:

Great documentary
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:08 PM   #70
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That kid is wearing a toque in every shot until the very end where he suddenly has no hat, which allows him to comb his hair with the switchblade comb.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #71
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They definitely could though (knowing where you were). That’s a market that probably has a couple decades at least!
I forget now, but I think it was maybe four or five players who made up about 70% of ad revenue. Those guys will definitely come back, and I'd expect those numbers could grow If the paper can find a way to increase circulation (which we began to based on the number of paper drops we had to increase per month.)

Web was an obvious piece of the puzzle, but at the same time the print edition is very much relevant for that market. There were rumblings when I was there from the leadership at the time about replacing the print edition with online; I don't know where they're at now after a big shake up at the top, but without print, the paper's dead. Look at me, still beating that drum almost five years after I've left.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:56 AM   #72
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to love flipping through the Calgary Sun back in the 90's at my parent's restaurant while having lunch there. Loved all the Flames coverage and sports section. This was before the internet, so that was my main source in checking stuff like scoring leaders and the team point standings.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:45 PM   #73
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Well, that's nice of them to make sure they can keep charging the same amount for the subscription.
This sucks.
I still read the paper every single day on transit. It's how I get all of the day's news and keep up to date with current events. And now I have to read the thing on my phone? That's absolutely nuts.

Plus, I hate the Herald's e-paper because there is no way to turn off the comments. So every article has a big red bubble over it listing the number of racist, homophobic and red-neck comments associated with the article. Then you have to avoid hitting it while searching for the actual news content.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #74
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Time to rewatch The Paper with Michael Keaton and pre-insanity Randy Quaid.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote