Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #1401
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I mean Atlas is the gold standard for that.
And Nick’s
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:03 PM   #1402
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Does anyone know why they changed from Panagopoulos to Panago?
Probably because most people prefer to use abbreviated names for pretty well everything.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:04 PM   #1403
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Does anyone know why they changed from Panagopoulos to Panago?
They went into receivership and Arthur Andersen was assigned as receiver. I know this because my friend worked at AA at the time. She told me they were rebranding to help find a buyer.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #1404
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

When it comes to having a website, having a name like that is a bit of a nightmare. You need to be able to say it in the easiest possible manner without having to spell it. As far as name changes go, it's probably one of the better ones.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:48 PM   #1405
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tried 8-mile on the weekend for their Detroit style. Not bad, but not a POW replacement.

They use the right ingredients, the order in which they put it together needs some tweaking I think. Like they cook the pizza with the sauce on top, instead of putting the cooked sauce on the pizza after it's cooked. Sounds like a minor thing and it is, but this doesn't let the pizza crisp up with all the added moisture. Flavors were good
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #1406
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tried Actually Pretty Good Pizza in Bankview. Excellent crust and a good selection of pizza standards along with a few interesting combinations. I like to judge a new place by the Margherita pizza, and this one was spot on.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 10:43 PM   #1407
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://yycpizzafest.com/
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:18 PM   #1408
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

we have a bit of a celebration dinner in my house this weekend, and after considering some options such as mexican, charmain's or cattle baron steakhouse, i think we will go pretty casual and try windy city pizza in okotoks for their deep dish experience

thier website is not crystal clear, but do they have dine-in? the site does show a picture of a guy at a table in what appears to be a restaurant
Old 10-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #1409
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Tried Bowtie Pizza for the first time in Sage Hill, and I have to say it's one of the best pizzas I've had in Calgary (and with the price to match). If it was a little cheaper it would easily be my permanent go-to, but with two large pizzas clocking in at $70 it's gonna have to be a special treat place only
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #1410
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bow Tie is great.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #1411
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Tried Bowtie Pizza for the first time in Sage Hill, and I have to say it's one of the best pizzas I've had in Calgary (and with the price to match). If it was a little cheaper it would easily be my permanent go-to, but with two large pizzas clocking in at $70 it's gonna have to be a special treat place only
But those 2 larges have the heft of at least 3 from most other places. I don't disagree that it's a bit pricier, but 2 or 3 slices from there, and I'm stuffed, and there aren't many other places I can say that about. A $25 medium is 2 solid meals for me.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #1412
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Windy City pizza in okotoks Saturday, and wow, it was some kind of awesome.

$38 for a large 8 slice pie and three of us were full. It was my first time taking on real deep dish, and I am now hot to fly to Chicago.

We went with an all the meats pizza and it was a meat and cheese enthusiasts dream
Old 10-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #1413
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Went to Windy City pizza in okotoks Saturday, and wow, it was some kind of awesome.

$38 for a large 8 slice pie and three of us were full. It was my first time taking on real deep dish, and I am now hot to fly to Chicago.

We went with an all the meats pizza and it was a meat and cheese enthusiasts dream
Nice. I have always heard bad things about Chicago style pizza, however I’ve always wanted to try it so I can make my own mind up. Will give this place a shot.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:52 PM   #1414
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do they have dine-in? Thinking of making the trip down.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #1415
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Did you order ahead?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:46 AM   #1416
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes, they have dine in at Windy city - they are connected with a Thai place, so they have about 20 tables. When we were tehre it was steady, but not overly busy.

We did not think to order ahead, but the waiter mentioned to us that you can.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #1417
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

After getting many recommendations, my family tried Bow Tie Pizza this weekend. Really disappointed.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to the hype. It reminded me of a slightly better version of Boston Pizza. The regular dough was chewie, and the sauce was way too sweet (I had the regular dough, my wife is GF). But We got it mainly because we heard their gluten-free crust was the best in the city. Not even close - honestly, Panago's is better. It seriously tasted like cardboard. We've tried a lot of GF crust in Calgary, and Bow Tie's might be the worst.
J pold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:25 PM   #1418
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
After getting many recommendations, my family tried Bow Tie Pizza this weekend. Really disappointed.

It wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to the hype. It reminded me of a slightly better version of Boston Pizza. The regular dough was chewie, and the sauce was way too sweet (I had the regular dough, my wife is GF). But We got it mainly because we heard their gluten-free crust was the best in the city. Not even close - honestly, Panago's is better. It seriously tasted like cardboard. We've tried a lot of GF crust in Calgary, and Bow Tie's might be the worst.
I'm the same. Pizza is alright but the sauce is too sweet.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #1419
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post

Someone said their GF was the best in the city? That's bonkers, Michael's wins that. It's one of the worst. I tried to like it, because the toppings are good, but nope. Dry rice dough pounded flatter than the Earth.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #1420
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gee I really liked it, but I ordered from them like the first week they had their new location, so maybe it's changed since then, which really wouldn't surprise me because it's often when expansion happens that things go to poop.