Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 02:56 AM   #301
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

May.27th:

Seattle defeats Peterborough in Memorial Cup opener, 6-3, including 4 goals in the last 10 minutes. Ciona had a goal and an assist, and was +2.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 11:24 PM   #302
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

May.28th:

Petes get shellacked by Kamloops, 10-2. Stankoven is star of the game, with 1g,4a.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2023, 06:17 AM   #303
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Ciona the last prospect still playing?
Old 05-29-2023, 08:04 PM   #304
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Is Ciona the last prospect still playing?
Yup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 02:51 AM   #305
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

May.29th:

Quebec punches their ticket to the Memorial Cup Final, beating Seattle, 3-1. No points, and -1 for Ciona.

NOTE: I made a mistake calling the game on the 27th between Seattle and the Petes the Memorial Cup opener. The opener was actually on the 26th, with Quebec beating Kamloops 8-3.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-30-2023 at 02:59 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 03:47 AM   #306
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

May.30th:

Petes surprise Quebec, and stay alive, with a 4-2 win.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 11:27 AM   #307
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandman- do you know anything about Theo Rochette? Interested in what's the deal with this player. Productive, swiss canadian background, 21, seemingly no NHL rights attachment.

I'm interested.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:05 PM   #308
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Sandman- do you know anything about Theo Rochette? Interested in what's the deal with this player. Productive, swiss canadian background, 21, seemingly no NHL rights attachment.

I'm interested.
I think I wrote a profile on him in his D+1 year, when there was talk he might be picked after going through the draft the year before. I guess he’s grown a fair bit since then, as I remember him being 5’8”or 5’9”, and he’s now listed at 5’11”. There was talk of him being a first-rounder at one time.

In his draft year he was traded from Chicoutimi to Quebec, which was a downgrade, as Quebec was in the lower quadrant of the league, and not the powerhouse they are today. I didn’t see anywhere near the numbers one would want to see, especially for a small player, to justify him being drafted in his draft year, or D+1 year, and there was not much progression. 39 points in 49 (although he started the season with mononucleosis), followed by 30 points in 32 games during Covid. He has excellent numbers the last 2 seasons (he’s 21 right now, and in his 5th season in the Q), but that might be because he’s an older junior player being propped up by a powerful offensive team, although he’s the Captain.

That being said, he’s always been a good playmaker, highly skilled, and he’s added a solid goal-scoring dimension to his game. The knock on him in his draft year was his skating, which was good, not great, and I seem to remember that he played a bit timid back then. He will surely be invited to some camps this summer, and we’ll see what he’s got.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-31-2023 at 05:14 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 01:28 AM   #309
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

May.31st:

Seattle advances to the Semi-finals, beating Kamloops 6-1. Ciona gets 1g, and was +3.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 11:37 PM   #310
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

June 1st:

Peterborough is headed to the semi-final, after beating Kamloops, 5-4 in OT.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:58 AM   #311
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I think I wrote a profile on him in his D+1 year, when there was talk he might be picked after going through the draft the year before. I guess he’s grown a fair bit since then, as I remember him being 5’8”or 5’9”, and he’s now listed at 5’11”. There was talk of him being a first-rounder at one time.

In his draft year he was traded from Chicoutimi to Quebec, which was a downgrade, as Quebec was in the lower quadrant of the league, and not the powerhouse they are today. I didn’t see anywhere near the numbers one would want to see, especially for a small player, to justify him being drafted in his draft year, or D+1 year, and there was not much progression. 39 points in 49 (although he started the season with mononucleosis), followed by 30 points in 32 games during Covid. He has excellent numbers the last 2 seasons (he’s 21 right now, and in his 5th season in the Q), but that might be because he’s an older junior player being propped up by a powerful offensive team, although he’s the Captain.

That being said, he’s always been a good playmaker, highly skilled, and he’s added a solid goal-scoring dimension to his game. The knock on him in his draft year was his skating, which was good, not great, and I seem to remember that he played a bit timid back then. He will surely be invited to some camps this summer, and we’ll see what he’s got.
I can comment a bit seeing as I have seen him play a bunch throughout the years.

First two years here the team was pretty bad, he was being shuffled throughout the lineup and couldn't hold a spot consistently. The other thing to mention here is that he is a pure playmaker and having no one to finish really affected his stats.

His bump in production came when Quebec started to load up. He found himself cemented in the top 6 and had one of the best scorers in the Q to pass to. Bolduc also took a giant step in his game and has become a great two way player who can score in bunches.

Bolduc is obviously the spoon that stirs the drink on that line and I am very interested to see what happens next year with Rochette. I fully expect Bolduc to have a smooth transition to the A as he already plays a pro style game but I think Rochette is going to have a lot more trouble transitioning to the pro game. Going to be quite interesting for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:20 PM   #312
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ciona had 1 assist in a 4-1 Seattle win in the Semi Final. They will play Quebec for the Memorial Cup on Sunday
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Svartsengi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 08:40 PM   #313
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quebec beats Seattle 5-0 in the Memorial Cup final.
Not surprisingly, Ciona doesn't put up any points on the night. -1 and 4 shots. I believe he was one of the better players for Seattle, all things considered. Guenther had no goals in the tournament, and finished the night with -3 and only 2 shots.

I wonder if the Flames look at Patrick Roy, or any other prospects on the Remparts (undrafted William Rousseau just got a shutout in the Memorial Cup Final). Quebec played an absolute clinic of a game. I believe this is actually Roy's second Memorial Cup as coach.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-04-2023 at 08:50 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #314
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit! I’ve been anointing Seattle the Memorial Cup Champs since January….
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 06:56 AM   #315
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Dammit! I’ve been anointing Seattle the Memorial Cup Champs since January….
Excellent coaching, great mobile D corps and depth killed them. Quebec's goalie stood on his head and their first line played an almost perfect game.

Crazy stat but the Q has now 6 of the last 10 Memorial Cup titles.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 03:06 AM   #316
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we living in Bizarro world????
Old 08-14-2023, 05:22 PM   #317
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Edit. Completely forgot Flames chose not to ink Huckins. Apparently, the author did as well.

Huckins traded to Charlottetown.

https://chl.ca/article/flames-prospe...topic%2Fhockey

Last edited by Southside; 08-14-2023 at 05:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2023, 11:53 PM   #318
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread boys!
Old 12-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #319
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I locked the thread, it was confusing as this is last years thread. When I get time I’ll move over the relevant posts into the existing 23/24 thread so it’s all in one place for this season’s prospects.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
edmonton is no good