Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #521
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
I'm in the early stages of selecting my next TV model -- it'll be a flat panel in the range of 65-80", and most specs are pretty straightforward to evaluate. But where I have little knowledge is in the area of "smooth motion" processing on newer TVs. My current 46" Samsung is 5+ years old, with no particular smoothing that I'm aware of. When I look at my dad's newer 60" Sharp, though, the picture is way over-processed and suffers really bad "soap opera" look.

On the Sharp, there are variable settings for the motion smoothing -- "off" through "high" -- but even when it's "off" there's still something wrong with the picture, in my view. I certainly don't want to pick a new TV just based on its specs, and then find out that the viewing experience drives me up the wall!
  • Is this something specific to Sharp?
  • Do different brands have different reputations re: smoothing? (Or maybe reputations for not being able to fully turn the smoothing off?)
  • Is this something inherent to newer 120 Hz (or more) TVs? (Web surfing says no, but what does the web know?

Thanks for any info you video-brains can provide.
I think you are seeing the difference casued by the higher refresh rate, instead of motion smoothing, 120hz tvs can do a better job showing movies. I know what you mean though and it took me a little while to get used to it, and now I don't even notice it.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #522
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
  • Do different brands have different reputations re: smoothing? (Or maybe reputations for not being able to fully turn the smoothing off?)
  • Is this something inherent to newer 120 Hz (or more) TVs? (Web surfing says no, but what does the web know?

What is see is the inherit deficiency in the LCD technology and is not specific to Sharp. Getting a 240hz might help as it should have the fastest refresh rate. When you turn on any type of motion smoothing, you are relying on the TV to do the inter frame extrapolation for you. With sports, it might help but with movies, I say just left the smoothing to off.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #523
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm in the early stages of selecting my next TV model -- it'll be a flat panel in the range of 65-80", and most specs are pretty straightforward to evaluate. But where I have little knowledge is in the area of "smooth motion" processing on newer TVs. My current 46" Samsung is 5+ years old, with no particular smoothing that I'm aware of. When I look at my dad's newer 60" Sharp, though, the picture is way over-processed and suffers really bad "soap opera" look.

On the Sharp, there are variable settings for the motion smoothing -- "off" through "high" -- but even when it's "off" there's still something wrong with the picture, in my view. I certainly don't want to pick a new TV just based on its specs, and then find out that the viewing experience drives me up the wall!

Honestly, I have never been a big Sharp fan, the price is right, but I just have never liked the picture either.

I'm probably the worst person to ask (I am very bias), but for TV, basically I say get a Panasonic TC Plasma or a Samsung PN Plasma. I love Plasma, as my basement TV is a Pioneer KURO, and the picture is stunning, and there is no motion blur you speak of.

My advice, go for plasma if you can. Get a TV with the best picture, over size. To me, I would rather a 50" KURO picture to any 65" LED. The blacks are just so much deeper and so much richer. Sports are a treat to watch since refresh is just not an issue.

Really to me, it's preference, would you rather a mid-tier car with a giant V8, or a quality built car with a V6. Size is important, but I always will go with picture quality for the exact reasons you state above.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #524
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
To me, I would rather a 50" KURO picture to any 65" LED.
Great advice, except the Kuros are no longer available.

I'll echo the plasma statements. Last time I bought a TV I was looking at LCD, and for what I wanted, the LCD was going to run me double the price. I was basically trying to find an LCD that looked like a plasma. Figured it was much better to just get the plasma instead.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #525
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Great advice, except the Kuros are no longer available.
The new 2013 Panasonic ZT Plasma line looks like the new Kuro. It only takes them like 3-4 years to catch up on the black level that Pioneer can achieve in 2009.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451697/pa...ma-at-ces-2013

The plasma vs LCD debate is proof that it is cost nad not performance that drives the end result.

LCD won over plasma in terms of volume because LCD is cheaper to produce. And the marketing department can spin their 240hz LCD is bigger than your 60hz plasma slogan on consumer.

I am still watching my 5 year old 50" 720 Kuro and other than the glass is more reflective, there hasn't been one model on the market that could entice me after the Pioneer pull the plug on Kuro.

I've watched many of the newer LCD sets my friends bought and none of them can match the black level. Some LCD have better colours but most people just run them at torch mode that blinds my eyes after staring at it for 10 minutes.

What is happening in the video world was what had happened in the audio world, if you know you know, if you don't, no amount of education can help you. Because to most people, once they got a flat and svelte TV, the picture doesn't really matter.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #526
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if a guy was to walk into Visions with a budget of say around $500, what reciever would you guys suggest in their inventory?

I want to dump my home theatre in a box setup and get something of quality. I'm pretty much settled on buying some reasonable quality polk audio speakers, I just don't know much about recievers. I'm looking for good, rich sound. Don't need to blow my hair back with tons of power.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #527
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So if a guy was to walk into Visions with a budget of say around $500, what reciever would you guys suggest in their inventory?
For $500, I would suggest you get a receiver with all the functionality you needed. And then I'll go by the weight of the receiver. The heavies it is, the bigger the transformer and the better the output.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #528
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I usually try to avoid Visions, but with that aside - check out post 483 onward.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #529
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I usually try to avoid Visions, but with that aside - check out post 483 onward.
What would you suggest as a better place to look?

**edit**
lol, wow...forgot I had even posted that
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #530
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What would you suggest as a better place to look?
PM'ed.

Also, Costco.ca has the Denon that TheGrimm recommended for $549 w/shipping.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-16-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #531
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Onkyo's have had HDMI problems that have caused a lot of complaints. I don't know if it has been solved or not but it scared me off. Check out the Onkyo forum.

here's the 515 thread

http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotio...ues-no-picture
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #532
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So my projector screen is hidden behind a bulkhead should I put any led coloured lights or anything cool back there or just leave it normal
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #533
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
The new 2013 Panasonic ZT Plasma line looks like the new Kuro. It only takes them like 3-4 years to catch up on the black level that Pioneer can achieve in 2009.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451697/pa...ma-at-ces-2013

What is happening in the video world was what had happened in the audio world, if you know you know, if you don't, no amount of education can help you. Because to most people, once they got a flat and svelte TV, the picture doesn't really matter.
So true, I was in Future Shop looking at a new TV in Dec. I was talking about the LED models and the pros/cons of each with my Dad, when this guy came over.

He said he had zero knowledge of TVs and wanted me to give him a run down. So I gave him a pretty thorough run down, and based on his feedback we determined that LED was the best choice.

He asked me, what do you think of the Samsung 8000 vs Sony HX850. So I gave him the rundown with lots of prs cons of each. I noted the HX850 was one of the best value pictures of 2012, and was cheaper than the 8000.

He stops and thinks, then says, "I'm getting the Samsung the bezel just looks cool"

And there you go. That is what sells these days, and exactly why Pioneer got out of Plasma.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #534
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
He stops and thinks, then says, "I'm getting the Samsung the bezel just looks cool"

And there you go. That is what sells these days, and exactly why Pioneer got out of Plasma.
I have too many experience like yours. I gave my friends the run down on LCD vs plasma, LED, edge lit and what not. They all ended up buying whatever they think are better. One bought a LCD because 120hz is bigger than 60hz plasma, one bought Sony because Sony is better in everything. Some things Bose soudns excellent to them or a TV in torch mode makes a great picture.

Then I realize that I myself cannot combat the misinformation these big corporation's marketing department spent millions to create.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #535
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A TV salesman told me you can't play video games on a Plasma as it will burn the screen for sure. Still waiting for the burn to happen on my 6+ year old Plasma... He also said LCD was better for games/sports as the motion blur on Plasma can be a problem.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #536
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I have too many experience like yours. I gave my friends the run down on LCD vs plasma, LED, edge lit and what not. They all ended up buying whatever they think are better. One bought a LCD because 120hz is bigger than 60hz plasma, one bought Sony because Sony is better in everything. Some things Bose soudns excellent to them or a TV in torch mode makes a great picture.

Then I realize that I myself cannot combat the misinformation these big corporation's marketing department spent millions to create.
Ya, design seems to rule these days. At least I got that guy steered towards two great sets, so he wasn't really wrong in his choice, just his reasoning.

I find price is biggest factor right now, with people buying $500 sets for home theatre use. Basically find the cheapest name brand set, and buy it, it's all the same right?

TV's are at the cheapest levels ever, and should be a reason to buy a quality set. In fact, they are so cheap the prices are completely unsustainable, and should be trending upwards this year. No better time to buy a good set. In fact that HX850 55" was recently on sale for $1800. That is disgusting cheap, but I guess not when compared to a $799 55" Insignia set, both have 1080p right?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #537
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I took the 60" LG Plasma off the wall in favour of an 84" Fixed Frame screen and an Epson 8350 projector. Being a first time projector owner I gotta say, its awesome. Bigger is indeed better. I may be a tad too close, at roughly 8.5 feet away but who cares, its huge and in your face, I love it.

8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #538
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
So I took the 60" LG Plasma off the wall in favour of an 84" Fixed Frame screen and an Epson 8350 projector. Being a first time projector owner I gotta say, its awesome. Bigger is indeed better. I may be a tad too close, at roughly 8.5 feet away but who cares, its huge and in your face, I love it.
Welcome to the projector club. It's a more immersive experience for sure. You'll get use to the sitting distance. I sit around 9 feet away from a 110" screen and after 2 months, it feels just right and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #539
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow 110", nicely done. Did you use any sort of calibration disc? I have adjusted a few things but it's basically just all default settings.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #540
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Wow 110", nicely done. Did you use any sort of calibration disc? I have adjusted a few things but it's basically just all default settings.

I use some patterns to make adjustments. But I plan on buying the Calman 5 to do better adjustment down the road.

http://store.spectracal.com/calman-5.html
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post: