Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #641
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just told that I have 15 vacation days to use up before the end of the year.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #642
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This makes me happy to the core...The Queen is out of the fur trade...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...eact-1.5361874

Quote:
"The whole gamut of the industry has done an about-face," said Moses. "No one wears mink coats anymore."
Financially, it's another blow to a Canadian fur industry that appears to be in terminal decline.
Just last month, the world's second largest fur auction house, North American Fur Auctions — a former subsidiary of the Hudson's Bay Company with over three centuries of history — went into creditor protection.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #643
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This makes me happy to the core...The Queen is out of the fur trade...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...eact-1.5361874

#### the Queen

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #644
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
#### the Queen
Gross dude. She's like 150 years old.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #645
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Gross dude. She's like 150 years old.
And has aged like a fine wine.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #646
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Throw Kate and Pippa in the mix and we have a deal.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #647
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if she still eats corgis.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #648
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Sneaky petes really grind my gears. I hate when food companies change the amount of product they give instead of just increasing the price a bit. Boxes of granola bars always came with 6 in them. Makes perfect sense. A while ago, they reduced the amount of granola bars in a box to 5. 5... Makes no sense. Now you get an instant argument from the kids over who gets the last good granola bar. And somehow they all colluded to do the same thing at the same time. Eff you Mondelez!
The granola bar cartel is trying to shut me up. This morning when I opened up the box of Quaker Valley granola bars, there was 6 instead of the 5 that it was supposed to have. A little hush money for the squeaky wheel. I'll take the win!
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #649
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
I was just told that I have 15 vacation days to use up before the end of the year.
That could also be viewed as a gear grinder if you were planning on carrying over some of those days and had plans for them in the New Year. Now you have to use a bunch of vacation in November/December and then burn up some of your new allotment next year that you were not counting on.

But otherwise this could be viewed as a pleasant surprise.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #650
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fan blade LED lights.

I needed something brighter for my parents garage and I didn't want to have to bring someone in to rewire the lights. I found an interesting product for $30 on Amazon which was a 3 blade LED light that fit in the socket and it seemed interesting enough to try. Literally night and day for the fan blade side vs incandescent bulb side.

Being cheap, I looked up purchasing them in direct from China. $14 including shipping upgrade for the 3 blade and $18 for a 4 blade. Showed up in 2 weeks in wimpy packaging, but nothing was damaged.

I just wanted to be able to see things in the dark garage at night. Now the garage feels like a show room. For $45, that's totally worth it.

This is the one I got:
https://www.amazon.ca/Foldable-Suita...s%2C314&sr=8-5
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #651
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do that have any sort of UL or CE marks? With the pivoting parts I'd be a little concerned that they had at least been tested for that.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #652
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes me really happy to to see Ryan Straschnitzki making such amazing progress. I aw a video of him up on his feet this morning, and one last week of him being able to move his legs. That's really amazing and while I have zero connection to him or anything, it just makes me so happy for the guy!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #653
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do that have any sort of UL or CE marks? With the pivoting parts I'd be a little concerned that they had at least been tested for that.

Uhh... nope.

Well, if you see more news stories about houses burning down due to these fan blade lights installed in the garage... It uhh.. wasn't me who has been promoting them to uhh... like a dozen families?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #654
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Uhh... nope.

Well, if you see more news stories about houses burning down due to these fan blade lights installed in the garage... It uhh.. wasn't me who has been promoting them to uhh... like a dozen families?
Perhaps not the right place to ask, but... would there be insurance implications if non-UL/CE lighting caused a fire? I have a detached garage, so I wouldn't be as concerned as if it were an attached garage or in my home. Assuming, of course, I wouldn't be putting myself at financial risk by having my insurance company refuse to cover the garage, contents, cars, etc. in the event of a claim.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #655
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The electrical code requires it, so I wouldn't be surprised if insurance was denied. But given the proliferation of these things lately I'm not sure how a court would handle it. Are most consumers expect to know to look for these things? In order to be sold in Canada they must be approved, so you could maybe have grounds to go after Amazon, thoguh I am most assuredly not a lawyer. But as DoubleF purchased directly from Big Red, I don't know if you could ever hold them to account.

I've just read about some really sketchy things like USB power bricks that are incredibly dangerous, so I always watch out for the certifications now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #656
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The City raised the speed limit on Glenmore between Crowchild and Richard Road back to 80 and removed all the construction signs etc. Also removed all the signs and crap along Glenmore from Crowchild to 14 Street - speed limit here has been 80 for some time but the signs were still laying on their sides along Glenmore where it crosses the reservoir and were a hazard.

Back to normal speeds here. This makes me happy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 01:14 PM   #657
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having two Canadians in the Formula 1 grid for next year RMMH
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #658
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it confirmed now? I thought Williams was waiting until the end of the season.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #659
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it confirmed now? I thought Williams was waiting until the end of the season.
Yup it's official now. Williams announced it and introduced Latifi a few hours ago in Abu Dhabi
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #660
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

had a great 'superstore weekend' (that sounds so odd!!)

my wife and i let out superstore points accumulate all year and then use them in december. this year we had around $550 in points.
the first shop in december is always big - i get all the stuff needed for all our christmas baking so it really adds up - and that's usually the weekend if you spend 'x' amount you get a free turkey. well, this past weekend was the turkey weekend so it was big shop time. i told my wife that i was getting the list all figured out and then she mentioned that she got an email where if you do an online order and spend $300 you get 75,000 pts (which is $75). we've never done the online ordering - mostly becuz i'll go to superstore and take the kids with me and my wife can get a bit of a break for a couple hours, but for $75 in points we'll do it!

so this is how my bill broke down:
total: $334
points redeemed: $330
i paid $4
new points earned: 75,000 + i think 6000 for other stuff that we purchased that had points (so $81)
the $5 online fee was waived becuz it was out first online purchase
and a free turkey!

while i was at superstore i ran in to grab a couple of other things and i saw rubbermaid storage tubs, which i've been wanting to get a bunch of (like 25-30 tubs) for my business for a while now. the best price i had seen over the last number of months was $13/tub and superstore had them on for $10. hmmmmmm....

i go home, go to the superstore webpage, order 30 tubs for pickup this afternoon.
my bill was $300 for the tubs (which is a great price and a business write off)
got another 75,000 pts
AND another turkey!

ha!!! oh.... the best was when the superstore lady brought out all the rubbermaid tubs and said, "i just gotta ask... 30 rubbermaid tubs?!?!" too bad i wasn't on the ball today with a quick goofy answer, just told her they were for work - booo... so boring!

we're thinking about inviting 4 sets of neighbours over for a big turkey dinner to get rid of one of the birds. not sure what we'll do with the second one yet.

but yea... what a superstore weekend... thanks for getting me $334 in groceries for $4, the $150 in points and 2 turkeys!!!

Last edited by bc-chris; 12-02-2019 at 09:28 PM.
bc-chris is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bc-chris For This Useful Post: