Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #261
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So really how bad could a car from Toronto or Quebec be? Something like this:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A5/T...0704163105932/

or

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A5/L...c/19_4594271_/

Both under 40,000km (the red one under 30,000km). The one in Toronto is Audi Certified and comes with the extra warranty.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #262
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Photon, are you sure you want an automatic? You're gonna miss out on a huge fun-factor. I can kind of understand if you got the Infiniti, but it seems like it would be a real shame with this nice german metal. Isn't this a bit of a "go big or home" purchase for you? Why limit yourself to half the experience?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #263
J epworth
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jeep Cherokee Sport 2000

First snowfall in Saskatoon yesterday, so when I go to drive my Jeep, I put it in 4HI to get out of the alleyway, but the 4WD doesn't stick, it just goes back to 2WD when I start driving. Put it back in 4WD, this time it works for a bit, then the drivetrain goes into neutral, I'm getting no power, and when I stop to put it back into 2WD, it grinds until I put the car into neutral, and even then I have to heave on the handle to get it back into 2WD.

I'm going to bring my car in soon to get this checked out, but with my girlfriend coming into town on thursday I don't want to be without a car, so I want to just keep using it in 2WD till I get this checked out. Anyone here with Jeep knowledge know if my car will be safe to drive? I've been driving it in 2WD all summer and had no problems with it.

Looking online it looks like it my be a linkage problem, or low transfer case fluid. I just had the transfer case fluid changed back in August, so I wonder if they made a mistake when they did that.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #264
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
I am thinking about getting another vehicle and currently deciding between 2003 BMW 745 Li 4.4L V8, Leather, Navigation, 138000 kms or 2008 Mercedes C300 3.0L V6, Leather, 125000 kms.

Any suggestions? Pro and Cons for either vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
745 is one of the worst depreciated vehicles ever made with one of the highest maintenance costs. C300 will have a much, much better used market 5 years down the road. That 745 will be near worthless.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #265
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
So really how bad could a car from Toronto or Quebec be? Something like this:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A5/T...0704163105932/

or

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A5/L...c/19_4594271_/

Both under 40,000km (the red one under 30,000km). The one in Toronto is Audi Certified and comes with the extra warranty.
VW and Audi certified vehicles are pretty safe bets. However, the best of the best is if you can find a 'prequalified' one. They are ones that have been serviced by Audi and VW before they go through auction and get to a dealer. No short cuts are made on those ones.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #266
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

How would I find one of those? Just ask the dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Photon, are you sure you want an automatic? You're gonna miss out on a huge fun-factor. I can kind of understand if you got the Infiniti, but it seems like it would be a real shame with this nice german metal. Isn't this a bit of a "go big or home" purchase for you? Why limit yourself to half the experience?
The one I test drove had a tiptronic with paddle-shifters and that was pretty neat.

My wife doesn't know how to drive a standard, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want her to learn on the A5, and city driving with a standard gets tedious.

I think I'll enjoy the tiptronic more.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #267
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
How would I find one of those? Just ask the dealer?

Yes, They should be able to tell you if it is or isn't.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #268
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Jeep Cherokee Sport 2000

First snowfall in Saskatoon yesterday, so when I go to drive my Jeep, I put it in 4HI to get out of the alleyway, but the 4WD doesn't stick, it just goes back to 2WD when I start driving. Put it back in 4WD, this time it works for a bit, then the drivetrain goes into neutral, I'm getting no power, and when I stop to put it back into 2WD, it grinds until I put the car into neutral, and even then I have to heave on the handle to get it back into 2WD.

I'm going to bring my car in soon to get this checked out, but with my girlfriend coming into town on thursday I don't want to be without a car, so I want to just keep using it in 2WD till I get this checked out. Anyone here with Jeep knowledge know if my car will be safe to drive? I've been driving it in 2WD all summer and had no problems with it.

Looking online it looks like it my be a linkage problem, or low transfer case fluid. I just had the transfer case fluid changed back in August, so I wonder if they made a mistake when they did that.
I would check the transfer case fluid level right away. There are two large plug bolts on the rear of the transfer case. Undo the top one and the fluid should be at least an inch or so below the hole. If the fluid is low, use a turkey baister to add some ATF fluid. It SHOULD be okay to drive in 2wd if the fluid is okay but you may want to get an experts opinion.

I assume you have a SelecTrac with the lever? 4hi, lo and 2wd?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #269
J epworth
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I would check the transfer case fluid level right away. There are two large plug bolts on the rear of the transfer case. Undo the top one and the fluid should be at least an inch or so below the hole. If the fluid is low, use a turkey baister to add some ATF fluid. It SHOULD be okay to drive in 2wd if the fluid is okay but you may want to get an experts opinion.

I assume you have a SelecTrac with the lever? 4hi, lo and 2wd?
Ya it's a SelecTrac, I'll check the fluid tomorrow morning, thanks!
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #270
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Anybody know a good place that isn't gonna rape me for an out of province inspection?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #271
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody here use the engine wash at the coin op car washes? I was just replacing a headlight bulb and started thinking how dusty and dirty the whole engine area has gotten. I am a little apprehensive about the coin op, as I don't want the high pressure to dislodge a hose or flood something. I also assume they are somewhat safe, otherwise they wouldn't exist... so any tips for using these if at all, or is this not a good DIY endeavour?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #272
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody here use the engine wash at the coin op car washes? I was just replacing a headlight bulb and started thinking how dusty and dirty the whole engine area has gotten. I am a little apprehensive about the coin op, as I don't want the high pressure to dislodge a hose or flood something. I also assume they are somewhat safe, otherwise they wouldn't exist... so any tips for using these if at all, or is this not a good DIY endeavour?
You wont dislodge or flood anything. I use it on the high pressure soap (and rinse) all the time...and I switch vehicles once or twice a year. The only problem I ever had was years and years ago on my first car, a Ford Tempo, that had a crack in the distributor cap. Anything newer or better than a Tempo is a-ok for an engine wash.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #273
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
You wont dislodge or flood anything. I use it on the high pressure soap (and rinse) all the time...and I switch vehicles once or twice a year. The only problem I ever had was years and years ago on my first car, a Ford Tempo, that had a crack in the distributor cap. Anything newer or better than a Tempo is a-ok for an engine wash.
Thanks. So you don't bother with the engine cleaner setting? Anything that I should avoid spraying? I am just imagining the caps for the anti-freeze and windshield wiper fluid getting off or getting water into the vents.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #274
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks. So you don't bother with the engine cleaner setting? Anything that I should avoid spraying? I am just imagining the caps for the anti-freeze and windshield wiper fluid getting off or getting water into the vents.
I would thinkt he engine cleaner setting probably isn't as strong? The thing you probably have to watch out for is making sure you don't get water into your Cold air intake, and any electrical components... wires etc.

If you have a newer car you probably have less to worry about as newer car engines are pretty well built.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #275
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The amount of water that would get into either of those systems is negligible, if the caps where to dislodge, which is unlikely. I use a pre-soak on the engine. The engine is usually the first thing I do, then wash the rest of the car, it gives the degreaser agent time to penetrate.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #276
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Ya it's a SelecTrac, I'll check the fluid tomorrow morning, thanks!
The SlecTrac can be finicky. They really need to be exercised every once and awhile to work properly or else you may have trouble getting it engaged when you need it. If the fluid looks fine, just get it nice and warm and try to shift it in while moving with your foot off the gas. If it doesn't work, get it checked out. It's most likely something simple like the linkage.

I've never had trouble getting it into gear before but I have gotten it stuck in 4lo on both a TJ and my KJ. My ZJ always worked flawlessly but leaked like a mother.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #277
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anything that I should avoid spraying?
Cover the brake master cylinder with a plastic bag, the cap is vented so it is possible for water to get in. If you get water elsewhere, it will probably just evaporate, but brake fluid is designed specifically to displace water, the more it displaces the less effective it becomes.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #278
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of car washes, is it still true about Calgary that you're not allowed to wash your car in your driveway with any sort of cleaner? I prefer to wash my own car instead of a car wash, but I vaguely remember that rule.

Last edited by Table 5; 11-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #279
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's true, you can't wash you car on the street anymore. The concern is with soap getting into the storm sewers which dump out in the Bow.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #280
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
It's true, you can't wash you car on the street anymore. The concern is with soap getting into the storm sewers which dump out in the Bow.
Which kind of sucks btw. I'm sure a few of us would prefer spending time washing our own cars.

Is there a place in Calgary to do it?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote