Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #1061
DoubleK
First Line Centre
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Staying with friends on San Mateo.

They have YouTube TV instead of regular cable. Every sports channel under the sun. ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, CBS sports and the local FS, NBCSN and CBS sports. All for $50/month.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #1062
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Did you have to sideload the app? It won't let me install via the play store, even using a VPN. I've got it working in a browser.
Apkmirror.com has pretty much every play store app dumped, and it's updated daily with new app versions

The one thing you need to watch for is specific Android TV support for each app, if you're using a shield. Some apps (like Hulu) have a completely separate app for Android TV, while others have a single app that works both on TV and mobile

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 10-17-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #1063
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Apkmirror.com has pretty much every play store app dumped, and it's updated daily with new app versions

The one thing you need to watch for is specific Android TV support for each app, if you're using a shield. Some apps (like Hulu) have a completely separate app for Android TV, while others have a single app that works both on TV and mobile
Yeah I've used apkmirror many times. Thanks.

By the way, a new Shield TV leaked today. It looks like a disappointingly minor upgrade but it'll support Dolby Vision at least.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #1064
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yeah I've used apkmirror many times. Thanks.

By the way, a new Shield TV leaked today. It looks like a disappointingly minor upgrade but it'll support Dolby Vision at least.

Actually I'm stoked for the new processor. The 2017 shield is an emulation beast, but just falls short running Gamecube and Wii games through Dolphin. If the new Tegra chip enables it to play those games at full speed I'll buy it for that alone
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #1065
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Actually I'm stoked for the new processor. The 2017 shield is an emulation beast, but just falls short running Gamecube and Wii games through Dolphin. If the new Tegra chip enables it to play those games at full speed I'll buy it for that alone
They’re going with the X1+ chip which is supposed to be 25% faster. I would have hoped for a bigger performance bump after 4 years, and they’re not increasing the RAM either.

There’s going to be a “stick” version too. I’d be ok with it getting the more modest spec bump but the pro model should’ve got at least the X2 and 6GB of RAM to really make sure it can run stuff like Dolphin.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #1066
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
They’re going with the X1+ chip which is supposed to be 25% faster. I would have hoped for a bigger performance bump after 4 years, and they’re not increasing the RAM either.

There’s going to be a “stick” version too. I’d be ok with it getting the more modest spec bump but the pro model should’ve got at least the X2 and 6GB of RAM to really make sure it can run stuff like Dolphin.
Well the 2017 Shield is still the most powerful media player on the market, and they don't need extra ram or an X2 to run Netflix or Prime. They're not going to bump specs up just so it can emulate games better, the amount of people using the Shield for that is minuscule compared to their overall customer base
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #1067
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well the 2017 Shield is still the most powerful media player on the market, and they don't need extra ram or an X2 to run Netflix or Prime. They're not going to bump specs up just so it can emulate games better, the amount of people using the Shield for that is minuscule compared to their overall customer base
I get that but it’s not enough for me to upgrade. The Apple TV 4K has been my go to anyway and the new update makes it nearly perfect.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #1068
jmac98
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
If you've got Telus, I've got Pik TV for 2 years $5/month with a $5/month credit (so free) including 5 specialty channels then I added the sports package which includes all of the Sportsnet channels and TSN for $14/month.

It's a bit of a cop out to cutting the cord, but at least it's not traditional cable.
How is this working out for you? Any problems?
I am on Optik, and always have freezing/lagging on my upstairs tv. I’ve had techs over time and again who run all their tests and upgrade the box and do this and do that and the issue never resolves. My upstairs tv is wireless but I’ve got the booster thing and they swear the wireless service is strong, but every ‘x’ number of days the freezing returns then goes away, rinse lather repeat. My tv downstairs seems to work fine though it has in the past had the same freezing problems albeit not for some time. Internet otherwise seems fine as well.

It just seems it’s the Optik tv that isn’t working for me. I was considering changing to Shaw as perhaps it would solve the freezing aspect which is my only concern and to which Telus can’t fix after years of tech visits. I wonder though if this Pik tv idea may be an option. I only want the basic channels and sports as you noted. Maybe this is an option for me in staying with Telus and keeping the handful of (live) channels I seek.

Any feedback from yourself, or anyone else reading this?

Thanks everyone.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016