Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Voyager took the art of TNG around technobabble and creating on the fly these wild technology solutions never done before and enacting it in minutes and upped it to the nth degree. Bascially outside of the excellent two story arc the year from hell. Voyager was never in danger.

They could always

Fire a inverse tachyon beam through the main deflector. Modify the main phaser bank to distribute a viral cure, or something like that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #362
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Voyager took the art of TNG around technobabble and creating on the fly these wild technology solutions never done before and enacting it in minutes and upped it to the nth degree. Bascially outside of the excellent two story arc the year from hell. Voyager was never in danger.

They could always

Fire a inverse tachyon beam through the main deflector. Modify the main phaser bank to distribute a viral cure, or something like that.
The best Voyager episode for me will always be the one where they send the Doctor back to the Alpha Quadrant and he has to partner up with Andy Dick to rid an experimental Federation warship of Romulans.

Perhaps because it dispenses with most of the egregious technobabble and makes the characters get by on their wits.

And it makes Andy Dick play a virgin.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #363
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I always thought Voyager would have been a better series if it was Star Trek: Equinox. That was a more compelling tale. Voyager was a top of the line, latest Starfleet technology starship with holodecks and designed for long-term missions. The Equinox was designed as a short term mission ship and much more utilitarian than providing comfort to the crew. The Equinox had less armaments than Voyager and was smaller than Voyager. It would have been outgunned in many more situations.

The way the Delta quadrant broke the Equinox crew to abandon their Starfleet and Federation principles would have been much more interesting to follow.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-24-2020 at 11:36 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #364
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the one where they get stuck in a weird void and have to make alliances with a bunch of ragtag species to escape after getting their stuff stolen.

Or the weird one where they discover they're actually the fake metallic crew that was made by a weird lifeform on a distant planet like two seasons earlier.

There's some cool stuff in there.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #365
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I always thought Voyager would have been a better series if it was Star Trek: Equinox. That was a more compelling tale. Voyager was a top of the line, latest Starfleet technology starship with holodecks and designed for long-term missions. The Equinox was designed as a short term mission ship and much more utilitarian than providing comfort to the crew. The Equinox had less armaments than Voyager and was smaller than Voyager. It would have been outgunned in many more situations.

The way the Delta quadrant broke the Equinox crew to abandon their Starfleet and Federation principles would have been much more interesting to follow.
If anything drove me crazy about Voyager, is that there very little cost to the return to home. I mean they never came close to selling out to survive, their ship was still polished and they had access to food and water without taking them. Somehow they found a way to trade without ever giving anything of value up. Oh and in the end they just simply welded Borg Technology to Voyager to easily get home, all while probably laughing at the Delta Quadrant.

Their final mission debrief would have been.

Admiral - "It must have been incredibly difficult fighting to survive, especially against the Borg and species 8 whatever. It must have been a daily struggle to survive and a testament to your determination"

Janeway - "Actually it was super easy, barely and inconvenience"

Old 10-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #366
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The message of DS9 is fine, but it could have been more entertaining to watch. I admit, I have never felt invested in any of the characters and O’Brien / Worf weren’t especially compelling in TNG.
O'Brien was probably my favourite character on DS9, but really the vast majority of the characters were well written and acted.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #367
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Garak for me, he was an amazing character, and of course Morn.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 12:51 PM   #368
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheat code Bashir was the most annoying character. A character that outwardly smug only worked because of his insecurities. Taking that away just made him grating.

Really, it's just crazy that Voyager and DS9 ran basically concurrently. While one was executing a long serialized drama centered on politics, family, loss and religion, the other was spinning tires in the mud.

Last edited by nik-; 10-24-2020 at 12:55 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #369
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Im currently watching voyager again from the beginning. It has a few decent episodes in the first 3 seasons, but lots of stinkers. A bunch of episodes in there are nearly unwatchable.

It gets somewhat better starting in season 4 when it starts focusing on 7of9 and the Doctor a bit more.
Why? Why would you do this??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #370
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
If anything drove me crazy about Voyager, is that there very little cost to the return to home. I mean they never came close to selling out to survive, their ship was still polished and they had access to food and water without taking them. Somehow they found a way to trade without ever giving anything of value up. Oh and in the end they just simply welded Borg Technology to Voyager to easily get home, all while probably laughing at the Delta Quadrant.

Their final mission debrief would have been.

Admiral - "It must have been incredibly difficult fighting to survive, especially against the Borg and species 8 whatever. It must have been a daily struggle to survive and a testament to your determination"

Janeway - "Actually it was super easy, barely and inconvenience"
Yeah for most of the series, the crew was pretty comfortable. The only sacrifice they made throughout the series compared to say the Enterprise-D was they had to eat Neelix's cooking.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #371
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yeah for most of the series, the crew was pretty comfortable. The only sacrifice they made throughout the series compared to say the Enterprise-D was they had to eat Neelix's cooking.
Well....they also had to put up with Neelix just in general.

If I was the Captain he would have been the first in line to get jettisoned out of an airlock.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #372
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well....they also had to put up with Neelix just in general.

If I was the Captain he would have been the first in line to get jettisoned out of an airlock.

That whole story line when he was talking about mating with Kes so she could have kids should have gotten him phasered out of existence. Then it got worse when they had the transporter accident where he merged with Tuvok.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #373
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That whole story line when he was talking about mating with Kes so she could have kids should have gotten him phasered out of existence. Then it got worse when they had the transporter accident where he merged with Tuvok.
Ah yes....the prized Tuvix episode.

The only redeeming quality of which is that Janeway basically becomes a murderer. Good times.

Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #374
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Cheat code Bashir was the most annoying character. A character that outwardly smug only worked because of his insecurities. Taking that away just made him grating.

Did he ever lose his insecurities? He was still awful when trying to impress female characters. He still worried that his genetic changes made him different from his friends. About the only thing that really changed was O'Brien befriended him (fixes more than just Warp cores!). He also got comfortable and just stopped trying nearly as hard with the regular cast and crew. Any time they had a guest on he went right back to try hard, outwardly smug Julien.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #375
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a soft spot for Garrett Wang, because of his local connection, and that he seems like an honest an fun person. In my personal life, I'm in the process of gathering investment in a store, and if it all goes through I've actually already mulled over pitching Garrett on a Star Trek Day, where he could just hang out and sip wine, and chat with fans and customers. Coincide it with the Stampede Breakfast, and call it the Wagon Train to the Stars.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #376
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Voyager has some weird ones toward the end too. Lots of singing. I know Robert Picardo is a trained opera singer but they didn't need to lean in to that quite so much.
Yeah, some dull episodes toward the end too. Completely with you on the singing episodes.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #377
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Voyager is the only trek series where I’d only recommend watching the “best of” episodes. Top 15 or 20. Beyond that, there’s a lot of forgettable content.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #378
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I've got a soft spot for Garrett Wang, because of his local connection, and that he seems like an honest an fun person. In my personal life, I'm in the process of gathering investment in a store, and if it all goes through I've actually already mulled over pitching Garrett on a Star Trek Day, where he could just hang out and sip wine, and chat with fans and customers. Coincide it with the Stampede Breakfast, and call it the Wagon Train to the Stars.

Garrett's podcast with Robert Duncan McNeil is gold
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #379
dakeyras
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Janeway - "Actually it was super easy, barely an inconvenience"
Surviving for years against countless hostile aliens without suffering much in the way of losses is TIGHT.

Little disappointed at the apparent lack of "Pitch Meeting" references based off of CC's comment.
dakeyras is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dakeyras For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #380
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ah yes....the prized Tuvix episode.

The only redeeming quality of which is that Janeway basically becomes a murderer. Good times.

That episode was on yesterday, as well as the one where the ship splits and we get two Janeways, oh and Tuvix. Lots of splitting people apart and mashing them back together in this show.