Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Filling the bosses shoes while she's on maternity leave

my boss is going on maternity leave in about 3 weeks, and my employer is expecting to divide the duties among a few of us foot soldiers, rather than hire somebody to fill the gap.

i'm new (3yrs) to the office/corporate world in my field and don't know what expectations are from management, but i need some input from people with similar experiences.

context: i work at a small land developer/home building company in yyc.

am i obligated to accept any additional roles or duties they push my way? do i have the ability to refuse additional workload without being 'blackballed' (for lack of better term)? should i be expecting any additional compensation for any extra duties i incur? am i a fool for considering rejecting an increase workload/responsibility?

all constructive input welcomed!

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

go on stress leave

but seriously, most everyone goes through this by having fellow employees leave, willfully or not, and not being replaced. Their duties get spread around with no compensation.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want any future with the company I wouldn't put up a fuss.

Someone leaving and having their responsibilities split up for no additional compensation is extremely common.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If you want any future with the company I wouldn't put up a fuss.

Someone leaving and having their responsibilities split up for no additional compensation is extremely common.
This. Consider it a growth opportunity.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Take on the work load, impress, and ask for a raise at your next annual review.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you do currently, how much you are compensated currently and how much extra work will be coming your way.

That said, given your relatively junior status in the field you're in (assuming there wasn't any relevant experience prior to the 3 years) I'd take this as an opportunity to grow your skill base and show management that you can handle the higher level work and then use that as leverage for additional compensation / promotions later on after your boss returns.

Worst case your current company doesn't care (ie no compensation / promotions), but you've at least developed new skill set that you can use at other firms in the industry.

Just my personal opinion.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that’s a weird question to be asking or perhaps I have a fundamentally different concept of what a job is. In my opinion your employer pays you to add value to the company and the management team with potentially your input will give you tasks to maximize your value to the company. Your duty would be to only identify tasks which you feel you do not have the expertise to do or which you doing would create a risk to the company or public.

Your compensation is negotiated between you and your employer and if it is insufficient you leave and go elsewhere.

To me the idea that you are hired to only perform a specific set of tasks for a specific amount of compensation is wrong. Now if you are refusing because it would require additional unpaid time and affect your QOL outside of work then that could be reasonable but really factors into the compensation vs new job.

If you don’t take on the additional work I’d suspect your opportunity to advance with the company would be limited.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #8
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Can't refuse anything in the corporate world or else you will be the "difficult" employee. Especially can't refuse something that effects coworkers in the same way (and who will likely not refuse).

Unfortunately that's the corporate world with no unions. Suck it up, or look elsewhere. Odds are you will have to adopt the extra workload, and HOPEFULLY they will make up for it later via raise (but if they really wanted to reimburse you, they would outright).

Hopefully company doesn't realize that they can get away with one less person permanently and start cutting/taking advantage. Recently left a job that did just this. Don't be a pushover and let them take advantage of you.

Is your boss a high level manager or are upper managers also taking part of your boss' duties?

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 01-29-2020 at 11:39 AM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

When they're dolling out your new/additional responsibilities, ask if there will be additional compensation for the additional work. Make a rule for yourself now that your labour isn't free and don't be giving it away. It doesn't matter that other people will, you don't have to. Just having the balls to ask for more money at this perfectly opportune time could equate to 10s of thousands of dollars for you in the long run.

Worst they can say is no, but you'd be crazy not to broach the subject. They definitely won't bring it up, so you have to.

Remember that it's totally rational to want more money/time off/benefits/whatever if they're going to be expecting more productivity and responsibility out of you.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Personally I would do it if I am qualified ( or it was something that is easily learned) and it didn’t require me to put in free time. Higher ups on the most part do remember who stepped up and who didn’t later on in life. The way I look at it they are paying me to work so if they assign it,I do my best to do it.( again if it is something I am capable of doing obviously)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it depends what the jobs are, and the extra time commitment. If these jobs need to be done, say, every Monday send out a report, Tuesday do this, Wed that, or whatever, and it means you have to work extra hard or extra hours to complete them, then ya, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for increased compensation.

But if you are just working on projects, and doing your bosses rolls just means some of the work you do takes longer to complete, and deadlines aren't really an issue you have to struggle to meet, and no new skills are needed, then I'm not sure there is much case to ask for anything additional. You are still just doing your job 9-5.

I know my employment contract specifies what is expected, but also leaves room for me to do pretty much anything if needed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #12
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
When they're dolling out your new/additional responsibilities, ask if there will be additional compensation for the additional work. Make a rule for yourself now that your labour isn't free and don't be giving it away. It doesn't matter that other people will, you don't have to. Just having the balls to ask for more money at this perfectly opportune time could equate to 10s of thousands of dollars for you in the long run.

Worst they can say is no, but you'd be crazy not to broach the subject. They definitely won't bring it up, so you have to.

Remember that it's totally rational to want more money/time off/benefits/whatever if they're going to be expecting more productivity and responsibility out of you.
Yeah doesn’t hurt to ask.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #13
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leave everything in perfect order but make sure you send out a delayed email from her desk a few months after she comes back.

It's called climbing the corporate ladder
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have an open conversation with all employees involved then with upper management with said employees about what responsibilities are being handed out and any concerns about significant time overages, slippages, expectations etc. as a result. I do not think it's likely they will disallow you the take on the additional responsibilities without a significant reason of their choice (ie: you don't know how to do it at all, cannot learn in time and they don't want you to learn on the job).

Frequently mention you're not making a fuss but finding a way to make the transition as easy as possible (because it will be true). These opportunities are rare in the sense that it's kinda temporary (assuming lady will return) and it's kinda like a temp role added to your main role, but in a far more valuable capacity and method for resume purposes. Job titles mean significantly less now. Responsibilities/experience are significantly more important.

If the expectations aren't unreasonable (ie: you can learn as you go without a gun to your head), these are things that can go on a resume that can bridge into bigger and better roles. It allows you to work higher than you currently are and as mentioned, you can use it later on to leverage for more pay and promotions etc. If the individual is on maternity leave, it's possible that if she does not return, you could be first in line for her role if you do well.

But if the additional load is seemingly unreasonable and it looks like you're just required to put in a ton of OT for free, with the current economy, I'd keep my mouth shut, learn on the go (but add to resume) and only broach the conversation of money once you have a firm offer in hand for a matching offer or just take the other company's offer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #15
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're filling her shoes, make sure you don't put something in there that will expire before she gets back.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I wouldn't put in effort and time for a promise of something better down the road. Don't fall for the carrot on the stick.

We'll look at your compensation again during the next review.
This will be great as part of your professional development.
We're looking at moving you up when a role opens.

There are a million things they can say to get you to do the work without compensating you for it. Every single one of those things is to get you to STFU and do more for the same money with a smile on your face. Any promises they make about what you will get for doing more need to be in writing with an effective date otherwise they're as valuable to you as a slap in the face.

How many of us have worked harder for more opportunities in the future only to not see these opportunities materialize? A casual conversation about your future in some little office means nothing.

How many of us have vaguely offered opportunities to employees just to kind of kick the can down the road with no concrete intention of making those opportunities happen at a specified time and without the employee needing to remind you/pressure you to make them happen?

The job market is tough right now, but asking for more compensation to do more work isn't something that any reasonable leader would fire you for or even penalize you for. If they won't give you more money, they are still going to expect you to do the work. I'd rather do the work and get more money, but you won't get the money if you don't ask.

People that don't push for more get nothing and are doomed to be worker bees forever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #17
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait you don't live in Moncton?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't put in effort and time for a promise of something better down the road. Don't fall for the carrot on the stick.

We'll look at your compensation again during the next review.
This will be great as part of your professional development.
We're looking at moving you up when a role opens.

There are a million things they can say to get you to do the work without compensating you for it. Every single one of those things is to get you to STFU and do more for the same money with a smile on your face. Any promises they make about what you will get for doing more need to be in writing with an effective date otherwise they're as valuable to you as a slap in the face.

How many of us have worked harder for more opportunities in the future only to not see these opportunities materialize? A casual conversation about your future in some little office means nothing.

How many of us have vaguely offered opportunities to employees just to kind of kick the can down the road with no concrete intention of making those opportunities happen at a specified time and without the employee needing to remind you/pressure you to make them happen?

The job market is tough right now, but asking for more compensation to do more work isn't something that any reasonable leader would fire you for or even penalize you for. If they won't give you more money, they are still going to expect you to do the work. I'd rather do the work and get more money, but you won't get the money if you don't ask.

People that don't push for more get nothing and are doomed to be worker bees forever.
Sure, don't disagree with some points you've made.

But as you said, have the conversation about compensation first. If that's a no fly and no written promises for a higher role later on, then grit your teeth, learn as much as you can and use that as a springboard to be more hire-able by another employer. Otherwise, you're going to run into so many issues getting hired later on via, "We're looking for someone with more experience in XYZ".

But here's the sucky part Sliver, not all leaders are reasonable. I've heard my fair share of people getting "laid off" right now for the most petty and stupid of reasons. That's why playing nice and then immediately figuring out the next step is a better plan than, "Nah, I'm not doing this extra stuff for free" sort of attitude. IMO it's better to be more like, "Oh, are the 3 (or however many) us going to get extra compensation for the additional responsibilities and work load?" and spreading the target than, "Am I getting paid extra for this?" and putting one solely on yourself.

IMO anyways.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #19
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Sure, don't disagree with some points you've made.

But as you said, have the conversation about compensation first. If that's a no fly and no written promises for a higher role later on, then grit your teeth, learn as much as you can and use that as a springboard to be more hire-able by another employer. Otherwise, you're going to run into so many issues getting hired later on via, "We're looking for someone with more experience in XYZ".

But here's the sucky part Sliver, not all leaders are reasonable. I've heard my fair share of people getting "laid off" right now for the most petty and stupid of reasons. That's why playing nice and then immediately figuring out the next step is a better plan than, "Nah, I'm not doing this extra stuff for free" sort of attitude. IMO it's better to be more like, "Oh, are the 3 (or however many) us going to get extra compensation for the additional responsibilities and work load?" and spreading the target than, "Am I getting paid extra for this?" and putting one solely on yourself.

IMO anyways.
Yes, that's a very good way to word it.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #20
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have fun when she comes back and goes on mat leave again in 2.5 months.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote