Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #21
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This game is easily the 2nd best game on PS3.
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #22
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

gonna wait to get it on the 15th. Bestbuy has a deal for COD4 + Assassin's Creed for $90.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Frankly, Half-Life bores me to death, it's so linear and constricting. COD4 at least gives you some choice of alternate routes and a little sandbox gaming. Increasing the difficulty does make the game better IMHO, it adds a lot because it changes the whole way you play the game. You either get desperate or get creative in dealing with the way the game AI works. I've just passed it in Vetran mode, it probably took 25 hours of gaming altogether, playing many missions over and over again. You really need to have some very creative tactics to get past some of the missions in vetran mode, even if it means exploiting the game, then that's puzzle solving by itself.

There is stealth in this game (not just the sniper mission) if you didn't realize it - there are many missions where you can actually sneak through if you kill enemies without too much noise. If you can do it properly with stealth, you can sneak through the mission without it throwing hundreds of enemies at you. Once you set off a guard or somebody cries out, you see doors open and guards start pouring in. It's very tough to be stealthy, once little yelp from the soldier will make the game send hordes of enemies at you.

The only games I really enjoy are the kind that make you play over and over again to try to pass a level (like old style games) so this suits me fine. Half-Life 2 bored me to tears. I could probably get 10x the gameplay out of COD4 than Half-Life 2 (and I just passed Episode 2 just to get it over with and get the story, will never replay that ever again). COD4 gives you a sense of immersion in a real world - yet cinematic experience. Half-Life feels like you are in a comic book. Maybe my problem is I just never acclimated to the story of Half-Life 2. I liked Half-Life 1 but HL2's world was just an immense jump into a place I didn't really want to be and therefore playing that game was a struggle to keep my interest.

The gnome addition was the best thing in EP2 in my opinion, gave me a challenging concept I had to try over and over again to actually accomplish.
Good post, but you didn't seem to understand my point.

I used the Halflife series as an example as it actually realizes that having a lengthy single player campaign is important. The gameplay is obviously not that similar to CoD4, but there was a lot more effort put into the single player campaign as they both of great quality, but Halflife games are much longer.

I think replaying the campaign on harder difficulties is an artificial way of making the single player game "longer". First off, the same logic could be applied to most games, making a 25 hour game into a 50 hour one. More importantly, not all people like to play games like that. I'd much rather play a 20 hour campaign at a reasonable difficulty where it's tough, but I don't have to replay every couple rooms 5 times over than one where I do.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #24
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought the campaign was just right, I was in everymoment... not bored to death and it ended spectacularly.

This game to the core is all about multiplayer.
SarichFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #25
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarichFan View Post
I thought the campaign was just right, I was in everymoment... not bored to death and it ended spectacularly.

This game to the core is all about multiplayer.
How does it stack up to Halo3?
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #26
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
How does it stack up to Halo3?
After getting 1000 Achievments in Halo 3 I got burn out. It's never been my favorite franchise but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Halo 3 is too much "Hold down shoot, jump around, throw grenade, melee.. repeat"

I actually traded in my limited edition Halo 3 for COD:4 for PS3, I got the PS3 version because I find Achievments a burden and just want to play the game.

Halo 3's campaign is more story, but you're pretty much doing the same thing every level. COD:4 is a really nice mix of interesting missions, some parts are down right scary where you sense that you've got to stay alive like you're in the game. There's more emotion involved in COD:4's campaign imo you REALLY want to take out the enemy. Shooting an idle car's engine to set it ablaze to see it explode and take out 5 or 6 enemies.

It is a little short. It's probably took me 7 or 8 hours but I don't like prolonged single player in shooters as long as I enjoy the ride from start to finish.

Don't even get me started on Online play.. it's demolishes Halo 3. The Halo serious has always been a little canned imo, nothing felt natural. In COD:4 it feels real. You can take out a guy across the map with a well placed bunch of rounds from an M16, or AK 47. You don't need to hold down the shoot button and pray. You can sneak up and Knife a sniper while he's looking out of a window..

and during a game if you get 3 kills without dying you can get active radar, 5 kills and Air Strike, 7 kills you can call in a chopper.

Plus the RPG esque levelling is great.

I'd give Halo 3 a 8.9 but I'd give COD:4 a solid 9.7. I'd give it a complete 10 if Single players was just a TAD longer.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarichFan View Post
After getting 1000 Achievments in Halo 3 I got burn out. It's never been my favorite franchise but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Halo 3 is too much "Hold down shoot, jump around, throw grenade, melee.. repeat"

I actually traded in my limited edition Halo 3 for COD:4 for PS3, I got the PS3 version because I find Achievments a burden and just want to play the game.

Halo 3's campaign is more story, but you're pretty much doing the same thing every level. COD:4 is a really nice mix of interesting missions, some parts are down right scary where you sense that you've got to stay alive like you're in the game. There's more emotion involved in COD:4's campaign imo you REALLY want to take out the enemy. Shooting an idle car's engine to set it ablaze to see it explode and take out 5 or 6 enemies.

It is a little short. It's probably took me 7 or 8 hours but I don't like prolonged single player in shooters as long as I enjoy the ride from start to finish.

Don't even get me started on Online play.. it's demolishes Halo 3. The Halo serious has always been a little canned imo, nothing felt natural. In COD:4 it feels real. You can take out a guy across the map with a well placed bunch of rounds from an M16, or AK 47. You don't need to hold down the shoot button and pray. You can sneak up and Knife a sniper while he's looking out of a window..

and during a game if you get 3 kills without dying you can get active radar, 5 kills and Air Strike, 7 kills you can call in a chopper.

Plus the RPG esque levelling is great.

I'd give Halo 3 a 8.9 but I'd give COD:4 a solid 9.7. I'd give it a complete 10 if Single players was just a TAD longer.
Your comparison is great, thanks! I own Call of Duty 3 (came with my xbox) and have found it boring and repetitive. But it seems like they did better with this version.

I think I'll give it a spin as part of that Future Shop deal mentioned earlier.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #28
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Your comparison is great, thanks! I own Call of Duty 3 (came with my xbox) and have found it boring and repetitive. But it seems like they did better with this version.

I think I'll give it a spin as part of that Future Shop deal mentioned earlier.
InfinityWard gave Call of Duty 3 to Treyarch so InfinityWard could make Call of Duty 4 while the different company was making Call of Duty 3. So 3 was pretty much a different game from 1, 2, and 4.
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

COD3 just didn't have a good feel to me. The multiplayer on COD4 is already as good, if not better than COD2.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #30
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there any continuity in the stories of the COD games? Can I just buy COD4 without missing anything?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #31
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, you don't need to have played the past games. But if you have a 360 for example, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least try COD2, and then COD3.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The games have nothing to do with each other. Call of Duty 1-3 were all WWII games that put you in the shoes of a various allied soldiers. There's no comprehensive story.

COD4 moves it up to the modern era.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #33
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is it better on the PC or XBOX 360?
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayBullet View Post
This game is easily the 2nd best game on PS3.
what do you consider the first?
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #35
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
I honestly don't know how people play FPS games on consoles. How do you aim with a controller with those thumbsticks??? Does the Xbox version dumb it down or help you to aim?

Keyboard and mouse is the way to play in my books...although the Xbox version has achievements.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #36
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried multiplayer for the first time last night. I didn't go to bed until 7AM.
phaneuf_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #37
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^Haha, I know the feeling. I just finished an 8 or 9 hour gaming session online with it. Damn, what an amazing game. So intense.

What's your guys level online?? I just hit 25.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #38
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Just bought it. Installing now.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #39
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm 11 or so.. I'm loving it. For some reason I'm actually above 1:2 ratio like most shooter games, I'm around 2:1 kills per death.

Honestly the best online shooter since Counter Strike in it's hay day.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #40
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
Probably PC if you can run it well. I have a 360 and PS3 but got the PS3 version and it runs and looks phenomenal.